Road trip in a 49 year old car

The Round Body, Finned Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Road trip in a 49 year old car

Post by poboyjo65 »

dang dirt dobbers are my only trouble . they will find any & all holes. if I let it set a month or two, they're in there! I blame my last 2 or 3 alt. failures on them :evil:
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Pop;it was on there when it was a daily driver!! ALL the cars I listed were/are daily drivers,some with kick ass stereos in them along with power everything and AC.Generators are OK if you drive the car long enough[miles] to keep the battery up and do not run a lot of electrical options,that is why the manufactures went to alternators,they WORK MUCH better!!!The 1964 endurance cars I believe were generators,the 65's were alternators!I'm not telling or even suggesting you,or anyone else,change to an alternator,especially if you are happy with what you have,I was just commenting on the bad rap given to some alternators!!Oh,yes,I do now run the big pulley to help keep the revs down,figured 8500 RPM engine speed may be a bit much,and just a side note,it was a swap meet item!!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SURE thing ROY,I agree with everything you say 100% ,it doesn't take a brain surgeon to know alt's are superior to a gen,thats proof in the puddin,but after swapping over to alt's,why are these comets breaking down? is it wireing? and no way do I think your suggesting any thing,to be honest,I had rather have a alt,but this comet of mine has always been so dependable just the way it is,,I can't bring my self to change it.I was told many yrs ago that a gen won't stand up to many 6000 plus rev before the windings in the gen starts to come apart,,,have a great day,,can'tt wait to see you/comet in '13 :D pop
pop/glenda

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

Looks like the Alternator was actually cooked.. I had a couple stops across Kansas and Missouri where I came out, started the car, got a touch of smoke out the tailpipe and watched the temp needle shoot off the gauge for a minute.. It always cooled right off, but I'm thinking that hours of heat followed by stopping and heat soaking everything might have taken their toll..

When first hooked up to the machine it was putting out 13voltw.. When it got hot it dropped off to nothing..

So new alternator, new VoltRegulator..

I'm in Vail getting coffee.. I'm crossing the desert tonite while it's cool.. Hopefully next you hear from me I will be in Utah or maybe even Mesquite, NV... Good news is I will be going against traffic from Vegas to California..
'63 Comet Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

HANG in there MIKE !! your comet central's lonely hero,,,,take care ,pay attention and always be careful,your for sure in mine /Glenda thoughts and prayers :!: :D pop :D
pop/glenda

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

In Grand Junction getting dinner..

Thanks POP.. I really appreciate that..

Making good time and the desert is cooling off quick.. Should be under 80 by the time I'm done with dinner..
'63 Comet Hardtop

comethead

Post by comethead »

Mike were rootin for ya!
Keep the shiny side up and keep'er under a hunert n fitty!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Mike;I hope the trail is good to you from there on home!!! ROY.

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

Odometer reads 10421..

I'm not getting in it for at least 3 days..

What a great trip!
'63 Comet Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

After all that driven back to back,it'll take 3days for OLE POP to limber up 'nuff to be able to get back in it...I said it once and I'll say it again...RCmike,you are COMET CENTRAL's lone HERO,and thats a fact...but here's the KICKER...next year we expect you to do it again...so stay in shape and keep that comet up..you know your way now so next year it may not take you so long! thank you very much for coming ... :D pop...GLENDA said HI and she's proud of you also...............
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

"ROAD CHIEF MIKE" you da man! Pop is right, our hero! If you do it again I vote for you to lead the way on any cruises in the future. That was one heck of a trip & that is one tuff little Comet! I probably wouldnt get in any car for three days. Thanks for the adventure. it was fun trying to keep up with you & I really enjoyed all the pic.s Thanks-
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Mike;WELCOME HOME!!!!! How did the Comet do on the last leg/legs? ROY.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

You sir are an inspiration to us all! I only have 1500 miles (r/t) to cover next gathering - provided my car is running decent I have NO excuse to not be there next year!! I look forward to shaking your hand and I hope it can be in Missouri for the last leg of next years trip, together. :). ( high five ). (salute)
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

Roy,

When was the last time you drove thru Vegas on a 110* day with no A/C?

Yeah, well I couldn't do it.. So I stopped and spent 6 hours in Vegas..

But the car ran great.. Cards, not so great.. But the car ran beautifully..

Didn't even get hot once I cleared Vegas traffic.. I'm going to take it in for service, but I don't think it even needs that, just really an oil change..

Last check in Vegas, it hadn't even burned a half quart, so I have to say all in all I'm thrilled with the whole trip..
'63 Comet Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Mike,, Come on up next weekend.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about