62 comet with 170 carb question

The Round Body, Finned Comets
mystery_machine

62 comet with 170 carb question

Post by mystery_machine »

I'm getting back into my 62 wagon project and I think its going to require a new carb. Right now it has a holley 1909 manual choke set up on it. My question is this is that the correct carburetor for my car? The previous owner also gave me another carburetor with the car however I can not recall the number at this current time and I am away from home. I do know that the one he gave me is a bigger one. I am not worried about keeping it original I just want to be sure the one I order is going to fit correctly thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Chris

1962Comet

Re: 62 comet with 170 carb question

Post by 1962Comet »

Chris,

I also have a '62 Comet, 170 Engine and the Holley 1909 carb. My carb has an automatic choke. I thought all 62's had the automatic choke on them? maybe I'm wrong. Check out my web site where I have pictures of my carb before and after I cleaned and rebuilt it. http://www.dplivingston.com It made a big difference. I also recently changed out the main jet for one 2 sizes larger. I had a stumbling issue upon acceleration and the bigger jet solved the issue. It must compensate for newer gas formulations.

Dan
1962 Comet - 2-Door, 170 cu.in. with 6,950 Original Miles.
https://www.dplivingston.com/picking-up ... -62-comet/ <-- follow my 1962 Comet Restoration.

lpratt

Re: 62 comet with 170 carb question

Post by lpratt »

My 62 170 Comet had that carb I believe (forgot the exact Holley number, but it had auto choke). I was having lots of problems with it. After a couple unsuccessful self-botched rebuilds, I found a Mustang Performance article that talked about the Autolite 1100 which came along around 1965 in the 170 Mustangs - major improvement over the Holleys. I poked around and found an autolite on line from an outfit called Champion Carbs - good price for a properly remanufactured 1100. I also opted for manual choke and found a control knob/cable on e-bay so it looks right in the cockpit - put it where a disk plug used to be right next to the column. My only issue is I need to find an air cleaner - sounds easy enough, but to make it look original I need to find one with a slightly larger diameter hole for the autolite - the original Holly was just enough smaller that I can't make my original cleaner fit. After I got my Comet running well I tore it all apart for a full up restoration, so I now have bigger fish to fry for a while. I also plan to look for a small finned metal block (forget what it's called) that I believe was a modification around 63. It's a simple little thing that just sits in the intake manifold right below the carb to more evenly disperse the fuel/air mixture to all 6 jugs. Apparently the 170s had problems with too much fuel in the cylinders close to the carb, and not enough in the front/back ones causing performance and heat issues - this thing helps that problem.