Heater hose question

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Sawyer0162

Heater hose question

Post by Sawyer0162 »

Need some advice please.... I want to change the heater hosed on my 60. They run thru the firewall and it does not look fun to get to the ends. Is it as tough as it looks? I've never taken apart a heater plenum/core assembly.
Thank you
Tom

poboyjo65

Re: Heater hose question

Post by poboyjo65 »

As I was redoing my heater box I kept thinking this is the stupidest design ford ever put out. I also wondered if it would be easier to pull the heater box if I ever needed to change a heater hose. not sure about a 60 but on a 65 model there are 4 nuts around the blower motor & it's wiring in the engine bay , duct up to cowl, & defrost ducts are all that has to be undone to remove the heater box.

It would be the perfect time to put new foam in your heater box, This will help to keep the heat from escaping from it in the summer because there is no shut off valve to the core so it has coolant running thru it at all times. the door inside the box that opens up the air inlet has foam that rots off letting air come in thru the heater core making it feel like you have the heat on especially on long trips. & it's all pretty easy to do.
Johno

Sawyer0162

Post by Sawyer0162 »

Thank you... actually, the whole assembly is in great shape. I am just looking for the easiest way to change the hoses. Someone put red ones in and I want to put OEM black ones with the stripe.
Tom

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If you remove the four mount nuts that hold the motor to the firewall and the inlet air duct you can pull the whole box away from the firwall just enough to get to the hoses clamps and remove the hoses. Reverse the process to install new hoses.
Ron

Sawyer0162

Post by Sawyer0162 »

Bingo!!! That's what I was hoping. Thanks... I'll give it a go
Tom