1963 gas tank replacement

The Round Body, Finned Comets
ThreeLineRifle

1963 gas tank replacement

Post by ThreeLineRifle »

So the gas tank in my Comet is in pretty bad shape so I bought a tank almost a year ago off ebay for 150 bucks which said was for a 63. The tanks neck was 1 inch too far back and is blocked by the trunk latch support. Still got it as the seller ran the return timer out. So this January I bought another 1 from MAC's and just received it today only to find the same thing. Both new tanks neck is about 3 1/4 from the rear most edge of the tank while the original is 4 1/4. I have tried cleaning the inside of the tank out but it really hasn't made a dent in the rust :(

SASSY

Re: 1963 gas tank replacement

Post by SASSY »

I don't know about your new tank problem but I can help you with the rust in tank.
I fixed a motorcycle tank that was a real mess for next to nothing.
In your case you will need about to get enough white vinegar to pretty much fill the tank.
Probably about a buck a gal at about any food store.
fill the tank and let it sit for a couple weeks, put some gravel in with the vinegar and shake it
around, the rust will disintegrate.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

ThreeLineRifle

Post by ThreeLineRifle »

Forgot to mention that the drain plug is held in by jb weld. The solder gave up on the tank and when I tried to re solder it it falls off

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A radiator shop is maybe your next step then. if it's not full of pin holes it's salvageable.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I ran into the same thing years ago with the same tank. There is room for the filler to be in the correct place, but it's not! I would have the inlet moved. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

dmsteen

Post by dmsteen »

I had the same thing last year,had to return it ,wound up bringing it to a radiator place where they cleaned it out,sealed it and it was like new for $ 150 also there is a chain of stores called tank re-new I think that does the same thing