Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

I got the sockets for the flasher units yesterday so I found a place for them to mount at least temporarily.

I have been running the car down my 1/2 mile driveway and back every other day, been making 3rd gear coming back up the mountain, pretty much pulls it most of the way, the driveway is gravel and a bit bumpy in places (and pretty steep) so maybe I can get the stuff that is loose to fall off so I can reinstall it better the second time :roll:

So much fun to drive can't wait for pavement tests. I will try to make a camera mount for the first drive and take you guys along.

You guys would not believe how happy I am so far with the Comet, I was afraid it would not live up to my expectations, so far it is exceeding them, I will just pretend that I knew what I was doing the whole time :P The tires do like to spin a lot, not sure what would happen if I was trying to do that :roll: Today when I got ready to go down the hill I met the UPS truck coming up, the brakes worked and I spun the tires in reverse backing up the hill (loose gravel) good thing I bought cheap tires. :lol:

I really hope nothing comes up in 2021 to keep me away from the Comet Gathering, you guys really need to see this car in person so you won't think I am a liar :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:29 am
I really hope nothing comes up in 2021 to keep me away from the Comet Gathering, you guys really need to see this car in person so you won't think I am a liar :P
Videos don't lie and I've watched a couple of them.
I need to shoot a short walk-around video with my phone and post it to the picture thread, myself.
Wish I had a GoPro camera.
BTW- cleaning the alternator ground seemed to have fixed my electrical problem. :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

bad grounds have been the root of a problem many times,,,
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey, Mike........I was pondering life's deeper mysteries while shaving a few mornings ago, and got to thinking about your car. :roll: I know nothing about airbag suspension, but I assume you can set the height of your car at any level you want within the limits of the bags' capabilities. But as you vary the ride height, the geometry of the front end will vary as well, affecting the front end alignment. Do you have to choose a "normal" ride height at which you plan to do the majority of your cruising, and set your alignment with the car at that height? And when you attend a cruise-in and let her flirt with the gawkers as she shows off her moves :wink: , how do you get her back to her normal road height that puts her alignment back in whack for the trip home? I guess you can always put the ol' tape measure against the rocker panels and even her up, but can you simply reset your bag pressures to a target psi that equates to your alignment ride height and dependably get that height back each time?

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:47 pm
Do you have to choose a "normal" ride height at which you plan to do the majority of your cruising, and set your alignment with the car at that height?
Yes, the front is built at a determined ride height that is the proper geometry of the front end components, basically the lower front control arms are level or near to it. The bags also have a design height, in the case of the front ones it is 5 1/2" so with the lower control arms level with the ground the top bag mount is 5 1/2" above the lower bag mount, in the case of my car the front bags run approx 75# of air (will vary slightly side to side but only a few pounds) to get it back to the proper ride height all I have to do is look under the front end and see that the arms are level then the rears are a bit arbitrary but I have the bubble level I mounted in the center console once the car was set how I liked it I adjusted the level to match, it is actually pretty close.

The rear bags are bigger bags and only have about 15# of air in them to go to the proper height, that can change depending on how much gas is in the tank and stuff thrown in the trunk but again it just has to be set by the level in the console.

I don't know anything about air ride either just read a bunch of stuff on the interwebs and went for it, I do know on fancier systems you can get your ride height back with the push of a button but I wanted to go all manual on mine just felt like it fit my theme better.

The light "spring weight" on the rear may be one reason it likes to spin the rear tires so much but that should change once I get stuff like 22 gallons of gas in the tank.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Been a slow few days, been doing just piddly stuff because I have been a little under the weather (not covid) plus the weather has not been very nice either.

I decided to make another quick cold start video since the first one I made it was like 95 degrees out, it is only about 56° today, not cold but feels cold coming into fall from summer.

I am so happy with how this motor starts & runs, like I put in the description on the video it was built from parts and pieces (as you all know) and it not only runs, it runs well :P hopefully the rest of the car will be just as impressive to me as the motor, I am sure I will have issues but nothing major I hope, I liked the advice Pops gave in another post, basically go for it and if it doesn't work try again :P I think as long as the front end will align it should drive good, if it won't align I already have a fix in mind so it is no big deal.

'64 Comet 250 Cold Start 2

So far it starts good, it runs good, it stops good, it shifts good, it goes forward fine, it backs up, and it spins the tires a lot :roll: now I just need to start adding some creature comforts like windows, heat and A/C :P plus a fun custom intake and silly multiple carbs :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

many yrs ago,I had 3x2 on my 56 ford pu,,but I just wanted the look,,,so made 2 SS blank off plates for the end carbs,,,they fit perfect you could not tell they were even there...used 2dummy fuel lines to the carbs from the fuel log,,,,there was no need in having 3 carbs on this old truck,,,,later on the purpose of the truck changed so I hooked all 3 back up....that's another story for another time.......pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

At 56° probably heat and windows should be the priority,,? After all, you'll be driving it in no time and heat in the forecast is a few months off.
The intake is gonna be the winter project?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 pm
The intake is gonna be the winter project?
Well it is appearing to be so :P
popscomet wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:04 pm
there was no need in having 3 carbs on this old truck,,,,later on the purpose of the truck changed so I hooked all 3 back up....that's another story for another time.......pop
The 3 carbs going on the six serve the purpose of giving it better fuel distribution, plus they are shorter so maybe I can get my hood on and lastly they are super cool 8) I think the carbs are small enough they should work ok maybe better than the single on there now, I think I mentioned it is a truck carb for a 300 most likely and the having 3 progressive carbs should get me better gas mileage :lol: :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

If you want a preset ride height you could install a levelling valve like big trucks have for their air suspension. Some of them have an electric dump switch to deflate them.

Similar to this one but it doesn’t have an electric dump switch:
https://www.amazon.com/Haldex-90054007- ... 439&sr=8-3

Pretty simple. The air attaches to a suspension component via a rod and maintains suspension height by varying airbag pressure.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

redhotcomet wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:52 pm
If you want a preset ride height you could install a levelling valve like big trucks have for their air suspension. Some of them have an electric dump switch to deflate them.
That is pretty interesting, might be something to do later, I like that it is manually operated. I put it in my wish list on Amazon to keep track of it just in case.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I shot this Cold, Cold Start video yesterday, I do attempt to start the Comet but mostly I ramble like only I can :roll: finally getting back right as far as health goes after a week of downtime, of course, the weather turns nasty, oh well I will get back on it in spite of the weather, hopefully, this year Bambi won't elude me and I can get one early on so I will have some time freed up because it is not all about the hunt for me but just getting me some tasty meat :P

64 Comet Cold, Cold Start

I gotta say this Comet is certainly headed the right way to become a super cool car, IMO (not bragging on myself, don't want to give that impression, I am just a lucky hack most of the time) hopefully it will continue to outperform my expectations, certainly something is bound to bite me sooner or later :P so I need to be prepared for it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It's not much but at least it is something.

I got the intake pattern attached to a board, I used a piece of 3/4" oak 5 ply plywood because I had a scrap leftover from the house, it is glued down and screwed in place, I added the accelerator pad to the side and sanded the tops of the carb mounts after I cut the ends of the screws off that were sticking out, I will be adding filler to that smoothing it down along with touching up all the edges, then I will add sprues and a pouring basin before I paint the whole thing to seal it up. I will have to build my flasks after that, still not sure how I will do them but kinda have a thought of building them out of angle iron and welding them together, we will see :roll: :P

Also I shot a 1 1/2 minute video of me pulling into the shed, the Comet tried to embarrass me, but it might have been my fault, I should have just put it in neutral and put my left foot on the brake (not sure if you can see it rolling backward while I am trying to start it) :roll:

Parking the '64 Comet in the Shed

Don't be too critical of me :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Working on the intake adapter pattern today and decided to add some ribs because every custom made intake requires some ribs, it is just an unspoken rule I think :P

I brought the pattern in for the evening so it won't take days for the epoxy to set up (I used PC7 I think, that is really sticky, stiff stuff) then I will sand it down and clean it up. I should be able to paint the intake and then mill off the top of the ribs along with the carb mounts and polish them up silver.

Another 1.5-minute video;

64 Comet Messing Around

The taillights look better in the shadow of the shed, they are red instead of appearing orange.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I know you are PROUD of that rascal....as I would be also....you've DONE GOOD,,GRASSHOPPER !!!pop
pop/glenda