Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by poboyjo65 »

loman wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I found you a universal brake light switch! :lol:
Johno, when did you take a picture of my brake switch setup?
At PF. I thought you said it was your trans brake switch? :lol: :roll: :? :shock: :lol: :wink: :lol:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I found you a universal brake light switch!
I guess it goes to show that there is a solution for every problem :P
Reminds me of a whole series of pics I saw in an email once that make this solution look professional. It was entitled "There...I fixed it!" :lol: :lol:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got my brake and clutch pedals cleaned up and painted, I actually used the support out of the parts car the bushings looked new in it because it was an automatic, mine were not too bad, only slightly oval and I bought some stuff to do a DIY roller bearing upgrade but the one was in such good shape I decided to just use it instead, later I can do the roller bearings on my original.

I also got the clutch master mounted on a permanent base to deal with the different levels of the firewall where I mounted it, was such slow process climbing in and out of the engine bay and up under the dash, and then back into the engine bay, etc..

I built it out of 1/8" steel, occasionally I can make a decent looking weld.

I welded a trimmed up piece of angle iron on the back with some 1/4" steel sandwiched between, here it is while I was getting all the holes aligned , etc. on the firewall, I should have paid more attention to getting the top edge level but I guess it won't hurt anything, I did that so water would run off and not collect on top of it :roll: I will seal it to the firewall later.

And finally I got the master mounted on it.

Ran out of time getting the pedals back in, maybe tomorrow :roll: I need to still get the motor in there this week so I don't want to get too much stuff on the firewall just yet.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

lavron wrote:I should have paid more attention to getting the top edge level but I guess it won't hurt anything, I did that so water would run off and not collect on top of it I will seal it to the firewall later.
I guess I cropped that picture too close to see the crookedness of it, here it is cropped out more for full disclosure :roll: the holes for the wiring harness are level as is the stiffening rib that the pedal support bolts too.

I think I will pick up some flange bolts for the two mounting holes tomorrow because I had to hog the bottom hole out quite a bit to get it to line up.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Mike, I moved those 2 wire plugs outboard of the engine bay and ran the wires in the wheel well to the front of the car.
Really cleaned up that area of the bay.
Lots a years and many miles no problems.
Just a thought,,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:Hey Mike, I moved those 2 wire plugs outboard of the engine bay and ran the wires in the wheel well to the front of the car.
Really cleaned up that area of the bay.
Lots a years and many miles no problems.
Just a thought,,,
Fred I was thinking of doing the same thing, I am going to completely replace my wiring harness and was thinking of using one of the Delphi bulkhead connectors like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O0V5JQ/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Also going to try and run the airlines through the firewall under the fenders and then across the firewall under the dash. Should just leave me with the brake lines running across the firewall and I was thinking of running it right up under the cowl pinch seam and then through the inner fenders and down to the front wheels.

I do have a relay box I need to put someplace, I think it holds 5 or 6 relays, hopefully enough to handle headlights, horns, fans and AC.

Speaking of electrical, what does everyone use for replacement headlight switches? (or any others that need replaced) I want to use my current knobs that are in the car.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Mike
I used the same Delphi bulkhead connector your thinking about and it worked very well. I installed it right where the original plugs where and the hole covered up the plug holes.
I also used the original light switch to feed the bright/dim switch which operates relays in a box mounted on the inside of the radiator support. So the headlight power does not go thru the light switch. The tail lights and parking lights do go thru the light switch along with the dome and dash lights.
Tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:I used the same Delphi bulkhead connector your thinking about and it worked very well. I installed it right where the original plugs where and the hole covered up the plug holes.
Thanks Tom I will get one on order soon, I welded my holes up today however so will be moving it under one of the fenders.

I feel like I moving at a snails pace again, but been a lot going on lately that has kept me from working very long at a stretch. I was not satisfied with a couple of things on my clutch master plate so I cut the lower corner off and a welded a new one on that follows the inner fender better and I was able to re-drill the hole in the right place, I also did not like how large I had drilled the lower master mounting hole so I welded the hole back up and re-drilled that hole as well. I got everything mounted and the proportioning valve as well.

Still have yet to even open the roll of brake line up but might be close :roll:

Got the pedals and steering wheel both re-mounted.

You can see I still have not taken the wiring harness loose from the ignition switch and I still need to clean up inside the car :oops:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Worry not about what the inside looks like! Mounting of "all cylinders" looks mighty fine!! :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:Mounting of "all cylinders" looks mighty fine!!
Thanks, I am trying to see how 6 more cylinders will look in there. Not much building today but a lot of mocking up.

I bolted the extra T-5 I have to my engine and lowered it into the bay to see what issues I would have.

Actually fits in there really good, plenty of room on the sides and a bunch more clearance at the top.

I slid the stock radiator in there and attached the water pump, if I wanted I could use and engine driven fan I think.

The shifter comes through the floor in a good place I think, I only had to trim the back of the floor support because I am using the V6 bell housing and it pushes the shifter back an inch or so more. You can see where the 3 speed shifter came through the floor before (ignore how I hacked the floor out before, I will patch it :roll: )

I still want to get the seat mocked in there but ran out of time today.

The only thing that concerns me is the clearance between the oil pump and the steering rack, can't get my finger between there but I think there is enough room if I put the pan right against the pump.

I could grind a little bit of the ear off the oil pump as well (that is where the pickup tube attaches)

For the most part it looks like it is all going to work for me, I want to try and get motor and transmission mounts built next. (after I get my seat in there :P ) The only inconvenient thing is the motor mount holes are right above the rack so I will have to build some mounts that move back toward the rear of the car.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Looking good.
MAN, that overhead shot, looks like a V12 would in there :idea:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Man, there's a lot of room in that engine bay! :shock: Looks like you could stand in the engine compartment and change plugs! :lol: :lol:
It's all looking might fine, Mike. Great work!
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking great Mike
tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Man, there's a lot of room in that engine bay! :shock: Looks like you could stand in the engine compartment and change plugs! :lol: :lol:
It's all looking might fine, Mike. Great work!
Jim
Thanks, I like a nice airy feeling :roll: I guess it was the right choice to go with straight six.
SASSY wrote:Looking good.
MAN, that overhead shot, looks like a V12 would in there :idea:
Thanks, well like half a V12 anyway (the better half :P ) You have to imagine it with the other 2 carburetors on there 8) Going to try and keep the engine bay clean but adding stuff like AC will ruin that probably, I guess there will only be the compressor and the alternator I will just have to be neat :roll:
tomb22 wrote:Looking great Mike
tom
Thanks Tom, even though it is just a mock up, it feels good to be setting that down in there and everything having a comfortable fit, can't wait to go from the 170cid/3 spd. to the 250cid/5 spd.

Air ride is super cool to play with btw, can't say how it will ride but setting my car level with just a shot of air is awesome. The valves leak down pretty fast that I have on there so I did a lot of airing the front back up today as I leveled everything in the engine bay, but they are temporary and I could probably stop the leak by tightening them down but don't want to risk messing anything up before I put the permanent fittings and lines in there, so I can deal with it.

I think I might need to try and extend my front bump stops some more, when it is fully aired out the upper ball joints are at an extreme angle and the front sits lower than the back anyway (aired out).

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got the T-Bird seats mocked in the Comet and my shifter in there.

I will have to clean-up/rebuild the tracks, the drivers side doesn't want to unlatch and move very easy.

The shifter is in a good spot and the seats are pretty comfortable (I did take the lower trim pieces off while I was messing with them).

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread