pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:30 am
piggy back the ones with out the most draw/////POP
Some of mine have to be really light on draw, vital circuits I would leave alone.

Yesterday I ran the wire for the interior lights (really light, there is only the dome light) I ran it through the cigarette lighter first and left an open spade socket to add a couple of USB ports inside the console later. I also ran the wire for the 4-way flashers and I may do the same thing and leave an open spade socket right before the flasher if I ever want to add something to it, both of those are always hot.

I was looking at the A/C installation directions and most of it stands alone with its own wiring harness connected directly to battery hot and its own breakers and fuses, there may be a trigger wire run to ACC to activate a relay so it runs only when the key is on.

I figure the car started out with 4 fuses, hopefully I can make it with 20 :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

All but finished with the wiring harness :shock: 8) I made a video just so I keep practicing and maybe make a decent one eventually, I think I need some equipment upgrades :P

Will post the video later when it finishes uploading (it takes forever)

Started the Comet today and drove it outside for the first time in a few days, it takes a little to get it to fire off the first time but I have the choke wired open still so that may be part of the issue :roll: I got it out and blew some more deteriorated foam out of the car that had shed from the seats, it is never-ending it seems.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Video Link;

https://youtu.be/WbIUFFEg1AA

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I have brake lights and back-up lights now (sort of) I need to find an ignition hot wire in the trunk to grab power for the backup lights, I might get it from the fuel pump relay trigger wire, I installed the plug on the T5 for back-up lights and ran it up to the negative block and the other wire back to the trunk, all the switch in the transmission does give continuity when you put the trans in reverse so I used it for ground. I can't fully install the BU lights until I get my rear bumper back on.

It was a bite to do the brake switch but if I was doing it over it would be a lot faster, I was going to mount it above the brake pedal and just behind the bumper but after dismantling everything under the dash related to the brake pedal ( and removing the pedal) I drilled a hole in the support and could barely get the switch between the cowl and support, and I drilled the hole in the wrong place, it needed to be about 1/2" closer to the driver's side, I was going to weld a pad on the arm when I decided to just mount the switch in the rubber bumper hole instead, not sure how well the switch will handle being the bumper too but time will tell :roll:

Got a little bit of wire routing and a few cable ties added to start forming bundles while I was under there.

Got my replacement headlights today so I put three of them in, one had a cracked base ring that snapped off as soon as I tried to clip it in, contacted the seller but if I need to I will just buy two more for the bases. They are really bright :shock:

At least I can go do some night driving now :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Ooopsie, that happened way to easy :roll:

Just turning the car around and left a little faster than the tires could make traction, at least it made two equal stripes.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

lavron wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:25 pm
Ooopsie, that happened way to easy :roll:

Just turning the car around and left a little faster than the tires could make traction, at least it made two equal stripes.

See Ya,
Mike
And so it starts, more tire,, more power, stronger parts that don't break, more power, more traction,,, I should go to the track just to see how fast it is,,,,,,,,
:lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:06 pm
And so it starts, more tire,, more power, stronger parts that don't break, more power, more traction,,,
My uncle had come up to see the Comet today, he hadn't seen it since the motor went back in, I turned it around while he was here, he was standing there as I pulled out and made the comment that if he hadn't seen it he wouldn't have believed it (it has taken me a while to convince him the 250 was a capable little motor and I didn't need a V8, he has been pushing for that for a few years) but I wasn't trying to show off or anything because I would be afraid it work out for me, but to do it by accident was funny, his other comment was it appeared effortless, and it was pretty much, I told him that was another first for the little Comet, it has never done anything even remotely close to a burnout in its entire life :P it isn't a grampa car anymore :roll:

We stood there and talked about tire size and I told him I always liked wide tires but thought I would stick with these, I would rather see it spin them than to grab and break something, he agreed. (my uncle is not much older than me, my aunt is only 5 years older than my sister, eight years older than me, so she has always been like a second big sister) BTW, he said he was pretty impressed with the Comet.

I really want to take it and drive it where I can shift through the gears, I may try to get it into the muffler shop soon and get the pipes hooked up so I could sneak down to the highway a little easier :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I dont know why you dont build the exhaust yourself,you built everything else. :?

better than having some idiot burn an airline or air bag. no one will do it as you as you would.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:54 pm
I dont know why you dont build the exhaust yourself,you built everything else.
Stainless.

Can't weld it, can't bend it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:43 am
poboyjo65 wrote:
Stainless.

See Ya,
Mike
Oh !

Well you do so much stuff as cheap as possible, then plow right thru the middle of expensiville :roll: :? :? :roll: :lol:
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:37 am
Well you do so much stuff as cheap as possible, then plow right thru the middle of expensiville
Because I do so much stuff myself I can afford to pay someone to do a few things :P Hopefully, I will be happy with how they do it.

You know if I had a TIG, and knew how to use it I would be doing it myself (someday I want to get one)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well someday should b today!!! :mrgreen:
Imo,,
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:36 pm
Well someday should b today!!! :mrgreen:
Imo,,
Fred
Well I might be getting a little anxious and looking for quicker solutions right now :roll: :P

Yesterday morning I got the electric choke hooked up before my aunt and uncle got here, it appears to work well. I may hook up the chokes on the new carbs as well instead of running manual ones, we will see. The new carbs have an anti-diesel solenoid that shuts the fuel off when you turn the key off so I needed the wire anyway.

Did a little today before the heat got unbearable, dug around and found one of the air cleaners from the 170, it fits good but I need to find a new element for it before I run the car with it on there.

Also my replacement air horn came in the mail yesterday so I hooked it up, my horn went from loud to really loud :roll:

These are all metal and are what I should have gotten in the first place, they have a built-in valve so I went ahead and took my other set-up out I made and hooked up the one that came on this horn.

I did not take a picture because there is really nothing to see, but I put the new turn signal switch in, I haven't hooked it up yet because I ordered a Molex connector to put on the end of the wire bundle so a single plug will disconnect the turn signal switch.

I also started wiring up the 4-way flashers, hopefully this will work like I think it should.

The way this is wired is; the yellow wire is power from an always hot fuse into the flasher, the grey wire goes out and is bonded across all the terminals on one side of the switch, the green/yellow/brown/white bonded wire goes to each wire attached to the turn signals on each corner, they really don't matter which one they go to except the green and yellow need to go to the front ones because the turn signal indicators work off of those (the purpose of four terminals is to keep the wires isolated from each other when the switch is off), the last wire is the red wire and it is a pilot wire that goes to a common indicator light, I am not sure if it flashes or just turns on, I have a double-arrow indicator light I can hook to it if I want. There is also a black ground wire coming out of the top of the flasher (it is an LED flasher).

I will mount the toggle switch in the center console but am waiting to install those things until after I get the A/C because I will probably mount the center vents in the console as well and I am not sure of placement yet.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:43 am
poboyjo65 wrote:
Stainless.

Oh-h-h. I thought it was because you didn't have any scrap stainless bed rails or trailer tongues in that pile out back that you could form into tubing. :lol: :lol:

Jim