Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Jims65cyclone

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Yeah! That's it. Sounds good, and quick on the trigger. Love the throttle cable. You gonna run that through the driver's window and pull it with your pinky finger? :lol: :lol:

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:51 pm
Yeah! That's it. Sounds good, and quick on the trigger.
I like watching the video even if it does sound like a tractor right now :P It doesn't have any stumble when I pull the throttle.
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:51 pm
Love the throttle cable. You gonna run that through the driver's window and pull it with your pinky finger?
Heck no, there isn't any windshield for a reason :P Actually tomorrow I will get the cable hooked back up, the wire seemed like the best way to get it to run at a fixed speed for 10 minutes, there is a wire going the opposite way holding the choke open :roll: I will probably have to rig some type of spring to fully pull the throttle back closed with the stock cable, stuff isn't quite lined up properly.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Another video, you might see the Comet move :roll:

Cold start this morning and a little testing.

https://youtu.be/lxqOSMGrS3c

This one is a little longer at just over 4 min. (I checked this time Jim, it is the right video link :P )

Pretty happy right now :D

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you have done well ,,GRASSHOPPER,,,,Impressive ….pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:31 pm
you have done well ,,GRASSHOPPER,,,,Impressive ….pop
Thanks Pops!

My videographer came out and I did a loop around the gas tank and back into the shed, not the fastest driving but at least I was driving :P

https://youtu.be/GhcDKy8hBS8

Really short video, if you watch to the end I might even do a happy dance.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Just to make an official announcement, with what I did today, Phase1 has ended.

The goal of Phase1 was the Comet running and driving, while all the mechanicals may not be complete they will have to be picked up in Phase2

The most obvious thing missing is the triple deuce carb set-up and hearing it running is the exhaust not being hooked up.

The goal of Phase2 is a street-legal car, lights, windows, etc. with the added thing is getting some paint on it, Phase2 may go for a while but hopefully, she will be drivable during most of the next phase.

I will likely try and get the car into the muffler shop and get all the exhaust done soon. However, I think the next thing is getting the front end halfway aligned, I will try and document the process for the at-home alignment.

Anyway, there it is.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Mike, that's just plane super! I know you must be proud and happy, and all of us who've followed your journey are too. Congratulations! Now, make the cops happy and then go cruisin'. 8) 8) :D

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Very happy for U!!
It's been a long haul to this point and to once again
be able to "cruise" around after how many years,, PRICELESS!
Looking forward to phase 2
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Congratulations on your progress. You have one of the most unique builds I have been privileged to see. Looking forward to seeing more of it.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:02 am
Congratulations! Now, make the cops happy and then go cruisin'
Thanks Jim, hoping some stuff can go faster now but bodywork will be involved and casting that intake.
SASSY wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:52 am
Very happy for U!!
It's been a long haul to this point and to once again
be able to "cruise" around after how many years,, PRICELESS!
Been 20 years since I got to drive it, it looked sad for a while but things are looking a bit brighter now.
DesertRat wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:38 pm
Congratulations on your progress. You have one of the most unique builds I have been privileged to see. Looking forward to seeing more of it.
Thanks, it is a bit different, it is fun but I would probably never build another one like this one.

Made another video of me rambling on about the work done on the car and a little about what the future will be in Phase 2, it is a long one and you can't understand me that well at times, I think I need a mic. but you can get a pretty thorough look at the Comet without my rambling :roll: not sure how long it will take for it to process and upload, might be up there in the morning.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MIKE,,,POP knows all about waiting near a life time for the full circle to happen...have waited better part of 23 yrs for the cobra,,,,near 24 or more for OL RUSTY,,,,POP is thankful for the good LORD to wait with me....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:39 am
MIKE,,,POP knows all about waiting near a life time for the full circle to happen...have waited better part of 23 yrs for the cobra,,,,near 24 or more for OL RUSTY,,,,POP is thankful for the good LORD to wait with me....pop
Hopefully more satisfying when we get there :P

Certainly, I began to think this day would never get here, and even though I still have a way to go it feels really good to have the car running and moving under its own power.

I am so thankful that everyone here talked me off the edge when I was considering putting the V6 out of the truck in the Comet, this motor is way cooler and will be even more so when it gets the 3 carbs on there :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Here is the long and rambling video of me talking about a lot of the modifications done to the Comet so far, I need to get better at making videos, this one is just with my cell phone.

https://youtu.be/TpOCxUczhIQ

Probably runs so long because I have a lot of enthusiasm right now :roll: but you will see more of the car than I have shown so far (more detail).

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I got my wiper upgrade done, now I have 2-speed wipers with intermittent settings.

Total cost with the brand new wiper motor was just over $100 but can be done a lot cheaper than I did by going to the junkyard yourself and pulling the parts instead of paying some person on eBay to do it :roll:

Here is a video of what I did with of course my regular over-explaining things :roll:

https://youtu.be/A60yDwl2hAQ

Again I need much more practice making videos but will keep working on it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Did some more wiring today, I think all that is left is the A/C, door buttons and the dash lights inside the car and then wiring the taillights and front parking lights and the back-up lights.

Wires are run to the trunk and the front of the car just need to hook them up.

I have used up almost all of my slots in the fuse box because I tend to make every item make a home run from the box, if it gets to the point I need to start piggybacking on circuits I will.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread