Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by DesertRat »

You will be able to paint your car how you want. It is important in my experience when painting automotive product to have the temperature between 70 and 80 degrees and stay out of direct sunlight. I painted my 55 Bel Air coupe in the late 70's with gunmetal grey metallic Imron paint. It turned out very nice and I didn't even color sand it. Since then I have painted many cars with single stage and B/C and have learned this. No matter how it comes out it sands down for repaint if you are not happy with it. Also, I color sand and buff everything now, single stage-B/C no matter it can save your paint job. The Viper blue 404 in my avatar was B/C and my granddaughter and I cut and buffed it on a long weekend. It is still a head-turner. Good luck with your paint job when the time comes.
------------DR-------------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:11 pm
my granddaughter and I cut and buffed it on a long weekend.
She is a cutie for sure and sounds like she will be a good catch for a motorhead boy one day :P

Thanks DR, I am sure I am enough of a picky person and I have waited near 40 years my car will look really good painted, I may not recognize it when I am done.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

The railroad used IMRON paint,,,I sprayed many locomotives with it,,,pop
pop/glenda

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

lavron wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 pm
DesertRat wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:11 pm
my granddaughter and I cut and buffed it on a long weekend.
She is a cutie for sure and sounds like she will be a good catch for a motorhead boy one day :P
Thanks a lot for that comment!
Thanks DR, I am sure I am enough of a picky person and I have waited near 40 years my car will look really good painted, I may not recognize it when I am done.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike: That little girl is my youngest grandchild and today is a junior at Occidental College in LA majoring in geology. She is 20% of my pride and joy grandkids. I wish I had time to build all five of them a car but as it is my daughter will get my 67 Barracuda and my son will get the 65 Cyclone under construction :D

power band

Post by power band »

I have a car that was painted in Imron. Still haven't yet'cut/ buffed or any polish. Still looks pretty good...

Imron is a tough early Polyurethane 2X enamel. (hope you had good respirator 8) )

Painted @ 1980 ! :

( one on the right)

Image .

friends:

have fun

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:07 pm
Cutting edge product when I first painted my 55 Bel Air. One of the very first polyurethane paints available as I recall--------------

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

when I transfered into the paint shop in 1976,,they used STERLING brand ,when you mixed it,you had to wait 30 min for a sweat in time as it was called,,,this was the stoutes paint of all,,I wore a helmet with air piped in,,it was deadly stuff.that was on the missouri pacific RR,,,then in 1984 union pacific RR merged with mopac,,UP came out on top,,so we had to change from sterling mopac blue to up imron yellow and gray,,back in early 80 I painted my 71 bronco with gray imron,,and imron white,,,but I mixed 2qts gray and 1 QT white then 1 qt activater,,,which gave me a lighter gray,,same color ford had in the 70's,,,me and the paint rep were friends,,,so he sent me 2gals of imron black with gold flake in it from the factory,,,I painted a 64 mustang shortly after the bronco with the black,,,,still own both,,,they never been touched ,,,no buffing sanding nothing,,,but soap and water,,,not much of that,,,rain water is all they get,,,,last year i spit on the top of fender on stang and took a shop towel and rubbed it dry,,,,it still looks good,,,bronco same way...YES,you wore a mask,,,POP turned 30 then -40-50-60 yrso all in the paint shop.....so I have sprayed many gallons of paint,,,,cars trucks hot rods,,,tractors trailers and to many locomotives to count....today almost 73,,,if I ever spray another qt it will be to damn soon.....I'll hire someone to paint my cobra,,,pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Even though paint nearly killed my dad, I will try and be a little safer and just do one (for now) I bought a respirator and haven't even put it on.

I made this little video on Monday but haven't been able to get it up until today

FROZEN COMET

My wife finally talked me into calling the Dr. they got me right in, tested for COVID and I don't have that (didn't think I did), what I do have is a bad sinus infection, will be taking these giant antibiotic pills for the next 14 days :| hopefully, it will clear up, of course, I was told to avoid being out in the cold, to rest up and get well :roll: , I am pretty sure anything around 50° doesn't count as cold so maybe I can do bodywork then if I wear a dust mask to keep from breathing anything to irritate my sinuses, thankfully it looks like the cold nasty weather will continue so I won't be inside all mad I can't go out and work on my Comet :roll: I am going to try and keep myself planted a few days even though I am anxious, I guess it has been 40 years I can wait just a little longer :P Hopefully, like Pops suggested to me I can get busy hunting down parts and get them ordered in so I will be ready when everything clears.

Sometimes I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning after looking for days at the presents under the tree, My wait has been a little longer than that says maybe just the last few months since I got it driving I want to be able to go further than just down to the mailbox and back, my goal right now is a few trips to town and back (a little over 10 miles one way) then I promised my aunt and uncle the first long trip would be down to their house in Forsyth MO ( a bit over 100 miles one wa Next would be maybe some trips to Bolivar MO a few times (maybe 40 or 50 miles away, I go there about once every week or two to get groceries, so I could drive the Comet as a grocery getter) if all of those are successful I promised my Aunt and Uncle I would drive down to their house in Forsyth ( 100+ miles and lots of hills and curves, at least if I was to only make it one way I would have someplace to stay :P) hopefully by that time I will have the majority/all of the bugs worked out and will be ready for a run to Pigeon Forge, the last promise I made was to my sister to drive out to California for a visit in the Comet, not sure how far that would be but a long way, might be able to meet some of the more westerly forum members on that trip, I might have to arrange ahead of time in case I need to make any repairs along the way and back :P not sure what year that would happen but would probably want to go in early fall to avoid too much heat across the plains and desert but early enough not to hit snow on the mountains, some of those goals are pretty steep but I guess you have to have dreams :D

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that paint keep me on a high for yrs,,,,wired for sound all the time.,,,,even today after all these yrs away from it,,I still can't hardly smell anything......
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think I said that for my dad it was more than just breathing it, even though that was hard enough on his lungs, it was the chemicals soaking in his skin from not wearing gloves or any other kind of personal protection, it was the hardest on his kidneys, the doctors told him to stop or he was not going to survive (and almost didn't) that is when he sold the Bodyshop he actually went to the school and became a janitor, I remember going many a night to help him with that job but they made him quit there too because of his health and I had graduated and gone to college, at that time he would have been in his early 40s, after a difficult time away from work (he never liked not working) he had nothing short of a miraculous healing, he went back to work driving a dump truck for the city, then they found out he was a mechanic and he ended up becoming the mechanic for the city fixing everything from street sweepers, to police cars and the city taxi until he retired, the red 69 Ford F350 I have sitting behind the shed he bought at a city vehicle auction, he also bought an old crown vic police car rhat we pulled the police interceptor motor and transmission out of and put in my old '62 SWB F100 (we should have pulled the 9" out of that car too but didn't), I think that motor is now in my buddies '65 Falcon Sprint because I gave him that truck (I should have kept it but I needed to start picking my battles and the Comet won out plus he wanted the motor for his Falcon so I gave it to him for hauling my Comet up to our current house, it is sad to think the old truck got junked but the cab was not any good anyway. I know you guys are thinking I should have put that police interceptor in my Comet but I was already set on the six because I am a little crazy or an idiot :?

See ¥a,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

OK because I have ben locked down I have been reading my own build thread for entertainment and enlightenment but discover I really lie a lot or I change my mind or something similar, I hope I am deciding to make changes that make the build better, I am super happy with the car so far and I personally think it is really cool (<---Not bragging or anything JMO) hopefully any changes I make in the final stages will make it even better, I thank a bunch of guys on here for giving me direction, advice and inspiration, even when you probably didn't know you were giving it, when I ask questions I genuinely am looking for ideas and advice even if it appears at times I ignore it, also I am happy you guys turned me back from putting the truck motor in there, you all knew what you were talking about and the I-6 even if it is not normal is the best choice on this build, I am trying to do it right because this is possibly my last I-6 build I will do (unless the '69 F350 gets the 300 built but thaat would be a modernization of the motor or maybe a diesel swap, not sure that is a long ways off if it ever happens :roll: I guess I will be going other places for advice on that as it is not a Comet but let's get the '64 on the road first before I consider any other project :roll: again right now I am committed to getting the Comet to the 2021 June Gathering in whatever form it is in by that time, again I believe Pops told me it needed to drive off and on the trailer on it's own, it definately can get up on the trailer and off right now so I will avoid doing anything to compimise that :P it may not be too pretty by then but I think you all will be ok with that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

beauty is skin deep...flashy paint don't do much ,,you have to worry about it all the time..MIKE,when you put that cop motor in the 62,,how did you fab your engine stands?,,,,cause they didn't come on a 62 on the sides,,,,62 and 64 are the same and I put a 460 C6...in a 64,back in the 80's,,,was my 1st mudd drag truck,,,,was the one with 8 zoomies coming stright up thru the hood.....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:00 pm
how did you fab your engine stands?
used some I bought IIRC, they looked like big chunks of angle iron and I had to drill some 1/2" holes through the frame to bolt them on, that killed a black & decker drill :roll: doing just those 4 holes, no welder back then so it was all bolt in stuff I think we used the police car trans mount, it was a pipe so we cut it to length, smashed the ends flat with a sledge hammerand drilled up through the frame.

I had about ran out of a vehicle to drive to work so the '62 became my daily for a while, was a long long time ago and I had bought a Ford van off my dad that had either a 360 or 390 in it, it was a Chateau conversion at one time with molded on flares that made the wheel openings all rot out, it was more hole than van along the bottom edge (it was red but was originally that olive green mettalic from the early '70s, it was a christmas van with a red exterior and green velor interior, it never would start when it was cold out, I got fed up with it when it wouldn't start after work one day and it sat in the parking lot for about a week until I finally got it started and drove it home, my wife used it as a brooder house for some baby chickens and talked my dad out of the police interceptor and spent a weeks vaction up there at my folks house pulling both motors and putting the V8 in the pickup(it had a 240? -I6 in it), The police motor was one of those variable venturi carburerators that was computer controlled, dad didn't like it so he traded it to a neighbor for a 2 barrel and an intake manifold that matchedI think and I bought an older style points distributor from O'reiilys we pulled all the smog stuff off of that engine,and got rid of the computer(it went to the neighbor) it was an early automatic OD and it never shifted down on it's own, I had put a floor mount shifter in it and manually shifted it, the truck got to where it had no power and would stumble when you stepped on the gas to the point of almost dying, I think it was suffering a severe vaaccum leak so I parked it and started daily driving the Comet until it lost it's brakes for the last time (I hope), the truck sat several years as well until I gave it to my buddy when we were moving up here. The van I sold back to my dad for what I paid him for it, that was after I put a new radiator in it and some headers on it. It was still sitting over at his house when he passed away and the guy that bought his house wanted the old cars sitting around as well (the police car was still there, the van and a couple of other cars, an old 60's Toyota with a blown motor, can't remember what else, I had removed the 8N tractor and the two old trucks and the red pickup in my shed before we put the house up for sale.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

The 240 6cyl would have had side mounts also as they were interduced in 1965,,,replaceing the 223 ci 6cyl that would have came new in the 62......they were tough old trucks,,all of them....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
beauty is skin deep...flashy paint don't do much ,,you have to worry about it all the time
I am not to concerned about paint but want to get the windows back in and would like to paint it before that. my paint probably won't be too flashy :roll: but hopefully it will finally look like I have always wanted since I bought it, I think ovrall it will be much more sedate than what a 18 year old might of done :P I hope my tastes have gotten a little more refined over the last 40 years.

I do agree about worrying about it but like I said I always treated the car like it was new off the showroom floor when I was driving it, and tried to park it way out away from all the other cars, don't think that will change except maybe folks will treat it with a little more respect I hope. I will treat it the same maybe not let it get in the shape I did before. :oops:

See Ya,
Mike
popscomet wrote:
223 ci 6cyl that would have came new in the 62
You are correct that is what it was, it had a front motor mount that someone had added at one time by welding a piece of angle iron across the front, not too well, I was backing the truck up one day to go to town when I heard a clunk and the motor started racing, the weld broke and let the front of the engine drop pulling the carb linkage. I pushed the truck under a big tree and used a come-a-long to pick it back up and called a mobile welding truck to come out and weld the angle back on the frame, he was not too impressed with the original welding.it was not the original motor and it had the words "new motor" and the mileage scratched into the door jamb on the drivers side not sure what was originally in the truck that they had to make a mount for the engine. That motor was still hanging on a post by a chain in my dad's shed when I sold his place.
Mike's build thread