Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by popscomet »

they had like an L shape mount bo;ted under water pump ,other end bolted under radiator,,,,rear mts were on bell houseing,,,,per side.......you had to support engine in the rear to remove BH ford used that 223 6cyl in cars and trucks from 52 thru 64,,,,
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

been thinking, in 52 a 6cyl was 215 ci,,,,223 ci started in 53,,,
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:41 am
ford used that 223 6cyl in cars and trucks from 52 thru 64,,,,
My first car, '62 Galaxie, 223 with a 3 on the tree. Sold it with 160K miles on the odometer.
Never had a wrench on it (except oil change)! :wink:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I can't believe I forgot to tell you guys this, last week when I went to the Drs I came out of the clinic and there was rumpled wet $1lying in the parking lot, I never find stuff like that now I feel lucky and I feel better about gluing that nickel on my 8.8 where I cut the plug off :lol: (for those that don't understand that you have to go way back in my build thread :roll: pay attention one day there is going to be a Comet Central Trivia contest, so far the prize is a soggy crumpled $1 bill :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I found a dollar one time as I was walking across a parking lot,,I dropped it into the 1st donation jar I came across.pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:57 am
I found a dollar one time as I was walking across a parking lot,,I dropped it into the 1st donation jar I came across.pop
That is a better idea than a Comet Central triva contest, I might throw an extra buck in the offering plate next time we have church.

SeeYa,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

lavron wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:08 am
popscomet wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:57 am
That is a better idea than a Comet Central triva contest, I might throw an extra buck in the offering plate next time we have church.

SeeYa,
Mike
the way I looked at it,MIKE..I didn't work for that dollar so's I didn't earn it,,,and I didn't need it...IT WAS A TEST ..CAUSE SOME ONE OUT THERE NEEDED IT MORE...........I just hope I passed the test :wink: pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

As I sit in sequester and watch the snow coming down outside (plus the below 0° windchills I have been thinking about those early days of the Comet, you will all have to take what I am telling you is true history on the days and dates, besides there is no one alive to dispute them so to make it official and for the history books, here are the details as best I remember them.

You have all seen this picture before, the year is 1979, that is me with a mop brown curly hair at 17 going to say the day June 18 a day after I bought the Comet, what I am doing is cleaning some gold rattle can spray paint off the car that the PO had put on there, most likely the JY owner we had bought i fromThis is what I think happened to the Comet before I bought it, you have heard me make mention of it and this is just my impression for the damage on the car at the time, it had a lot of scratches like it had gone through a barb wire fence, this had been painted over with the rattle can gold that did not match the color of the car at all (hence me cleaning it off with paint thinner) I have spoken briefly of the few dents in the car, most are concentrated on the right side of the car, the bad dent in the rocker panel and the crease just above the taillight level on the side, also some of the C-O-M-E-T letters were missing off that side the guy we bought it from had another comet out in the yard and he let me take letters off of it to replace them, I wish I would have gotten some other stuff off that car but I did not have the ability to see into the future

Believe me, I was a happy young man in that picture, I did not even know my mom took this picture
approx 39 years later to the day the Comet started its current transformation (pushed it in the shed on June 17th the anniversary of the day I bought it, that was not planned it just worked out that way

I am not in the picture there but I was a happy old man that day as well, if not pretty tired after pulling all the old suspension off the car, the tires are just sitting under there in these pictures, I was still in demolition mode but trying to establish what the new ride height would be.

Probably have overkill on taking pictures now (and posting) but after looking at the gap in years of taking pictures I think more is better than fewer, of course nowadays is much easier than way back when we had to take the film and have it developed :roll: unlike most people there were never pictures of family or girlfriends (didn't have a girlfriend anyway) in my wallet I carried pictures of my Comet, wonder if that makes me weird?
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:13 pm
Probably have overkill on taking pictures now (and posting) but after looking at the gap in years of taking pictures I think more is better than fewer, of course nowadays is much easier than way back when we had to take the film and have it developed :roll: unlike most people there were never pictures of family or girlfriends (didn't have a girlfriend anyway) in my wallet I carried pictures of my Comet, wonder if that makes me weird?
Weird? Nah.

Your Mom was like mine. I never took pictures and rarely do now. Wish now I had a picture of every Ford I've owned. It would make a nice library (of ratty rides) :lol: I did find a picture of one of my nicer ones ('66 Mustang) that Mom took around '83 one day while I was visiting. She and Pop never quite understood my obsession for old Fords but Mom loved that Mustang. I'll post it in the last section whenever I get it from my sis. She has all the family pictures after we cleaned out the house a few years ago, including mine. Stay warm. Hope you are doing well.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Can't have too many photos in today's digital age. I document my car builds then post the photos in a sequence that tells a story. I have a digital Sony I keep in my shop that never leaves the shop. During my work I just grab it and shoot a couple for future posting and sometimes how I will put it all back together.
I do the same with my work. I design/build large agricultural pump plants and I document them from the first shovel in the ground until startup day when we push the button. My business posts them up on the company website sometimes.
Teaser-------------Today I cut my shock towers and fit 10 GA plating for the new design. Worked all weekend in the shop and I am wiped------------
---------------DR----------------out---------------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:09 pm
easer-------------Today I cut my shock towers and fit 10 GA plating for the new design. Worked all weekend in the shop and I am wiped
I will look forward to seeing it
Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:56 pm
Your Mom was like mine. I never took pictures and rarely do now
My mom was always taking pictures, I try to capture what I am doing on the Comet because I can't remember anything :roll:
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Joe Travers wrote:
Pop never quite understood my obsession for old Fords
Dad was the cause of my obsession :P Not sure what happened to my brother

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:02 am
Joe Travers wrote:
Pop never quite understood my obsession for old Fords
Dad was the cause of my obsession :P
Grandpa Bob was the gearhead in our family with his spit-shined '55 Ford. Pop was a 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it' guy. Pop did start the whole process when he gave me the '62 Galaxie. I think I can find a picture of it as well. It has to thaw out first before a road trip to find those. Stay warm.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

power band

Post by power band »

family gearheads..

.. my uncle was the real mechanic I was exposed to as a kid. My father also wrenched' but he came from the 'willing to try, learning from mistakes and making it happen' school of the depression era .

My Uncle Gene was a lifer in USAF since WWII but his poor eyesight kept him on the ground doing aircraft support until retirement. He taught me how to swap an engine (Falcon) with a rope hoist to a tree on our NYC street. When he passed, I inherited his Peugeot 404 he rebuilt in our driveway. (P '404 is like France's '57 Chevy) .

When my folks married, Gene lent them his custom A' for their honeymoon from Brooklyn to Niagara Falls before dad shipped out (DAV Pacific).

My uncles' A and my dad - Brooklyn and Niagara Falls NY 1942

Image . Image

Still use many tools I inherited. I have a set of body work tools from my uncle that is in a WW1 ammo box. A set of mysterious mushroom shaped machined stainless steel tools later used for body dolly work, turned out to be the forms for Swedging aluminum struts on pre-war exposed air-frame planes.

hav efun

R c moore

Post by R c moore »

Have complete side moulding for my 64 caliente convertible for sale,turning mine into cyclone clone restomod.