Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by poboyjo65 »

Hey it looks better in your pic! had a cloudy spot on it in his pic. but I'm glad you liked it, I thought of you when I first saw it.Ain't that wild, meet a guy one time & know what he likes. before you came back on here,I had been on here 3-4 years & you never said anything. I was trying to picture who a guy named lavron would look like. I kept picturing a little black guy with a green sparkly vest,with a thick gold watch chain hanging out of it, purple pork pie hat,with a little feather sticking out of it,maroon sport jacket, & gold slacks & pointy toed boots ,& gold teeth. quite the opposite,,,,,like the name!! :lol:

How would it look in the grill? where the V8's get the v8 emblem. I'm thinking it'd look good with that black background.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cool emblem Mike!
Maybe check with the cam supplier, vaccum could be too low at the idle speed your after?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ right on cue, Fred's sig pic is showing where to put it. sit it on there,wrap some tape on the back of the studs temporarily for a pic or 2, I'd like to see how it looks there.
lavron wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:03 pm
Isn't this a cool thing?
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:55 am
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ right on cue, Fred's sig pic is showing where to put it. sit it on there,wrap some tape on the back of the studs temporarily for a pic or 2, I'd like to see how it looks there.
Well, I don't have the grill in right now but I might set it in there temporarily to see how it looks. The textured part in the 6 might need some black paint on it :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:42 am
The textured part in the 6 might need some black paint on it :roll:
See Ya,
Mike
I was thinkin the same thing!
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I got the grill in there temporary, probably a good thing because there are still a few things I need to get to permanently mount it, I am going to paint the front of the radiator black as well because I don't like it showing back there :roll:

I think the I6 emblem looks good, I need to get some nuts for it because I dug around and couldn't find any the right size, I am sure it is made for tin nuts, I just have a couple of those press on clips holding it on (look like a washer with tabs around the center) hopefully I will be able to get them back off :roll:

Because of the way the mounting pins are on the back I had to mount it one row below the center on the grill panel, I figured it would look the best that way once I got the hood on there. (yes I am OCD enough that the crooked left outside headlight really bothers me, I may switch the right one and left one and see if it is better)

It is a pretty good match to the 202 fender badges, I need to paint the red on them so I think I will get some paint that matches the "I" on the grill emblem, my trunk emblem doesn't have any paint on it at all so it will need the black and red both painted on it.

I will upload a video tonight or tomorrow of it idling with the new exhaust, I have some things rubbing someplace that I need to fix but I am sure there will be a few things like that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

yea that's where it belongs,no doubt. :D looks like it was made for it.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It looks good, Mike. And, you'll probably want it slightly below center since it should look just right when the hood is closed. Good thing you mentioned that crooked headlight, or I would have had to call you out on it. :lol:

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It is a good addition, most guys might be trying to hide that they have an I6 under the hood, guess I am not like most guys :roll: and of course, it is not like most I6's :P

Wait till I get the video uploaded (uploading now so maybe next week :roll: ) little over 6 minutes of the 6 idling and me mumbling, I might start doing the videos with no talking and do voice over.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm
Good thing you mentioned that crooked headlight, or I would have had to call you out on it.
The little things that bug me to no end :roll: :P :lol:

Finally got the video of it idling uploaded.

https://youtu.be/jg446ct0nrA

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Picked up some nuts to attach the new emblem today so while I was at it, I painted the radiator face black and spritzed a quick spray on the grill because it had gotten a little scratched up over the last couple of years shoved in storage. (I also painted the background of the 6 black)

I also got the headlight bezels attached fully, FYI if anyone is looking for the nylon inserts I found some license plate mounts marked for a Chrysler at the hardware store they are pretty close to original but just slightly loose, once the screw goes in they are fine.

The grill is all bolted in even though it will have to come back out to install the A/C condenser and of course the headlight rings will be off at the same time so maybe I can fix the crooked headlight :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

loman

Post by loman »

That emblem is way cool!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

loman wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:48 am
That emblem is way cool!
Yes, it is a nice little addition.

Did something today I have never done before, I adjusted the valves on the 250 with the engine running, I wasn't sure how it would be with the adjusters going up and down but just have to put it on a lot when the socket jumps off, once I got the lifter tapping I would pull the wrench off to confirm and then tighten it back down until the tapping stopped and pull the socket off again to make sure it wasn't tapping anymore, once I went through all twelve I shut it off and added an extra turn to each adjuster.

Made a followup video of it running now, it is much smoother and I was able to back the timing down some and get the carb adjusted so it would idle at 550-600 RPM, now to get rid of that awful rubbing on the exhaust :roll:

https://youtu.be/VLgijczMiLw

I will eventually get it all worked out, if I can get everything running properly with this carb I should be way ahead when I switch it out for the triples.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sounds really good, Mike. (Except for whatever is causing that squeaking noise. :roll: ) That's not an open port on top of that PCV, is it?

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:16 pm
That's not an open port on top of that PCV, is it?
No, it comes with a little plug you stick in it, not sure what the purpose of it is.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread