Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:20 am
Mike, just noticed your on, you better clamp on those guys with the 65s they get off track
Oh, they are ok guys even if they did pick Comets with the headlights sitting in the wrong direction :lol: Also I am always on and most time I am actually here, usually me and Pops hang out late at night :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I did the modification to my upper control arm mounts hopefully I did not mess anything up too bad :roll:

Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I forgot to post this last night so you get it today and yes it is a nasty day :roll:

It will get done just taking longer than I like.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

That looks like wood to me,,, wth are you gonna do with that! :lol:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:17 pm
That looks like wood to me,,, wth are you gonna do with that!
Build casting flasks for the 2x3 intake

If it doesn't warm up that may be project over the body work :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:32 pm
I have a little body work but I'm waiting for warm weather to keep paint from cracking.
Yep, time to build a fire on the mountain. :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

lavron wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:32 pm
SASSY wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:17 pm
That looks like wood to me,,, wth are you gonna do with that!
Build casting flasks for the 2x3 intake

See Ya,
Mike
Oh,, ok something for the car. I thought maybe you were getting side tracked into building a deck or something.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I thought he was finally going to close in the end of his shop. :lol: :roll:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:42 pm
I thought he was finally going to close in the end of his shop. :lol: :roll:

Jim
That's what I thought :o :( !
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think the only thing I talk about more, and never doing, than putting the front on the shed is casting the intake :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am sure you all have heard the old saying; "Make hay while the sun is shining" well the sun was shining yesterday and it is the wrong time of the year to make hay, it is also the wrong time of year to do bodywork basically outdoors but I did it anyway, yesterday was the last day before the big freeze moves in, not sure how long it is supposed to last but we are going into the coldest stretch we have seen for awhile0-18° and supposedly snow with the heaviest swath forecast to be right down the highway that you have seen in my videos, 1/2 mile south of our house.

So while this application of filler did not go as well as I planned it is on there and the weather will be to a point I can sand it all back off before it is at a point I can apply more, that is why I make the statement it is better to have too much filler on there as not enough, the issue with having it too thick is much will be wasted as dust on the floor and it is little pricey to do that, but what's done is done :roll:

It will still be a thin layer of filler but would have been more economical and less work to have gotten it applied better, but this is part of the downfall of not having a 4 seasons workspace. :?

So don't consider this a how-to but a how-to-fix something when you have something not work out as planned, stick with me and maybe I can show you some halfway good bodywork by the time I am done. Just in case you don't know the picture below is a link to the video, just click it.

As I say in the video I am going to show you everything good & bad, I could have easily not shown this and waited until I had sanded it back down but I want everyone to know that stuff does not always work out but it is not the end of the world and can be fixed, you will have to wait to see me save this but trust me you will be surprised at how well this will look and not be a thick slathered on bunch of Bondo that it looks like it is right now, actually what you are seeing in this video is not all that thick just a bit messy so it will take a bit more work to get it back down, my preference would have been to spread it smooth and thin but I have never done this kind of thing in the current weather conditions so I am learning (hopefully) as I go here, so if you could save your criticism until I am further along unless you think it is something I need to hear right now.

On a positive note, I am getting really good at taking the rear tires off :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I have no heat in my shop either but wet haven't had a cold winter this year. Moved the comet out last weekend to weld up a jig to work on rearends. Insulation and heat for next winter.

Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I may have just changed my mind on the paint on my car, I ordered some Eastwood Primers tonight because I am thinking I will paint it with Eastwood single stage instead of Implement enamel, the cost is about $50-$100 more but I think I saved enough on other things that I can afford it, I was going to spray the car anyway so it may as well be urethane automotive paint

I was thinking maybe the Meteor Grey or 9mm for a bit lighter color, I will order their paint chips before I decide.

Am I making a mistake painting single-stage metallic in my shed? You guys like the darker or lighter color, remember my hood will remain satin black (probably Rustoleum)

If I read some post correctly they were recommending clear over metallic, I guess so you could color sand it better with that, I really don't know, I know my dad didn't like painting metallic cars 40 years ago but wasn't sure if technology had changed enough they wouldn't be as hard to get an even finish (no tiger stripes) on it, as I told Pop the other night I am thinking of getting a party tent to use as a paint booth, I think they are 10' wide with plastic windows on the sides, will have to check the lengths, if I can find the super cheap ones again.

I hope that doesn't disappoint anyone that was wanting to see the cheapy cheap paint job I was going to do.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Happy to hear paint is going on the car!
Metallic takes a little more finesse with fogging to keep the stripes out.
imo, Base- clear is better for a garage job because all the stuff in the air that gets on the paint can be sanded off but lots more money,,,.
Fred
Last edited by SASSY on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:39 am
Happy to hear paint is going on the car!
Might be a few months before that happens and paint has always been something that was going to happen, I think because I have had it so long it has never had good paint on it and I have wanted to paint it as a kid but never could swing it and part of what I am doing now, especially body-wise is a throwback to 40 years ago and getting now what I wanted then, at least I did not ever sell the car and now I am looking for a replacement just like it :P (the car I really wanted back then was a Falcon Sprint 2dr hardtop '63 + of course)

I think back to when I was a young teen, hanging out at the body shop and with my uncles etc. old guys were hanging around the shop all the time talking about two things, cars and women, I would say I got my sex education at the shop but it turned out most of that information turned out to be false, but the one thing every one of them said is "I wish I had kept my first car" that stuck with me and at 17 when I bought the Comet I vowed to never sell it (I am glad it was/is such a cool car, my brother got a Pinto, that car is long gone, the Pinto was supposed to be my car too, my dad bought it for all us kids, there are 3 of us, my sister the oldest is 3 years older than me, my brother two years older, I did not want to share but to avoid that I had to buy my own car) I made the right choice 8) I guess I used to listen and learn better than I do now :roll: and maybe I was a little smarter then. Back in the day there was a '62-'63 Comet SW sitting out in my dad's acquisitions, I know today a bunch of people would like to have that car but at the time I did not think anything of it, a 4dr SW was not something to interest a 16-year-old no 4 dr car was of interest I would have rather had the gold Chevy 2 dr sedan sitting out in the field behind the house, luckily the motor got stolen out of it before I started looking for a car because I kept thinking about going back and getting the old inline 6 running in that Chevy (I think it was an early 60s Impala, there was also a late 60's two dr hardtop sitting back there the same gold metallic color, it had no motor or transmission, dad always had several cars like that sitting around. Back to the '62-3 Comet wagon all I can remember about it was it was a Flintstone car with no floors in the front, don't know what happened to all those cars I am sure they were sold when dad had an auction at the farm, the only car I wish he had not sold was a '53 Ford two dr with a factory continental kit (6cyl, 3 speed manual with OD)

Ok so much for me just hijacking my own build thread, I was not going to paint the car metallic but the original paint was so it keeps in theme and the other color I had said I wanted to paint it was Ford grey metallic from the same era (Mercury did not have a grey met. in '64 but Ford did) I would try and match the Pecan frost but it is not my favorite color and I like the grey better and I can't think of anyone else that has a grey Comet (imagine me wanting to be different) I guess anyone have any bad reports on the Eastwood paint products? Or have you used them?

I already hae a quart of Summit epoxy primer but went ahead and ordered some more from Eastwood because Lou is always harping on keeping your paint products from the same company (see I still listen) I am sure I can use the quart of Summit epoxy someplace else and I guess I tipped my hand in admitting I already bought the Eastwood primers that I am pretty serious about using their paint :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread