Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
tomb22

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys, but it didn't happen. Didn't get it out of the garage. My wife has been looking all over the internet for a new used Expedition, so we had to go look at one Thursday and we bought it. Then we had to go today and pick it up, so my time was spent making my wife happy. "happy wife, happy life". Next week maybe.
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That looks great! I really like that console. Is that a knob or a charging port in the center under the dash?
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Man, I missed the last couple console, interior pics...well done man!! Looks awesome!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: You’ve gotta be ITCH’N to drive it!!!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys. I sent the radio to a guy named Richard Blankenship in Tennessee who updated it. What you see is a cover over a aux input and a USB port. To the left of it there is a button to let you switch to blue-tooth. The radio also lets you give voice commands. I'm not all up on what it all does yet :oops:
I'm having some gremlins with the electric. The security system blinks the dash lights when you use the bob to lock it or open it and I don't want it to so I had to order a diode. I can't get under the dash to install it with the seat in it so I'm waiting. When the seat is in I can drive it. :D Sometime this week. Looking forward to that.
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I got it out on the highway today. Like the response of the engine and transmission. Filled it up with gas and got the fuel gauge programed. Then programed the speedometer.
Also the cruise control works but needs some programing because it seems to surge.
It has some noise when lifting off the gas and turning corners. I'm thinking I don't have the rear end set up right. After about 8 miles of running when I got home the rear end was to hot to touch. :( So I'm thinking of letting someone with the know how re do it. I'm going to switch the gears from 3:73 to 3:55 also. The RPM was 2000 at 60 miles an hour in overdrive.
With the roll bar in the car the big bucket seats are really to big also, so tomorrow the wife and I are going down to Des Monies, Iowa and picking up some bucket seats out of a 95 Mustang that don't have all the air bags in them.
Still need to make the door panels and install some weather stripping.
Tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:I got it out on the highway today.
Awesome :D

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Awesome job getting it on the road, especially with all the features, etc you've added. Sounds like you have it under control!

Curious what you find in your rear end. I set up my 9" carefully and had perfect patterns on both the drive and coast side of my gears, but I'm still expecting a little noise. I did the math several times and should be around 17-1800 at 65 with the TKO and 3.50 set.

Keep it up!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks Mike & Dan. It was exciting to drive it down the road. I'm thinking it's going to be a lot of fun.

I know that I over tightened the pinion bearing a little trying to set the preload. It was hard to turn the nut ever so slowly to crush the sleeve and get the right torque on the pinion. I'm guessing I should have gotten a new crush sleeve and nut and started over.
So now I'm looking for someone who can redo this for me. Mean while I have some small things to keep putting on the car.
Tom
tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I’m stoked for you getting to drive it!!! :D :D :D Let us know on the rear!!

What size tires do you have on the back? Mine are 25.5” tall (IIRC) and the T5 OD is almost a dead match for AOD (.68 to .67) and I’m getting about that with 3.89’s. IMHO 3.50-3.55 is ideal though if you’re doing a decent amount of highway cruising.

The scrappy 289 actually got about 18-mpg on the last long’ish drive...I was shocked...! :D :D :D 3.50’s would be even better but it doesn’t like to loaf along below 15-1600rpm. :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks Rocket
I've got 26.0 X 10.0 - 15s Micky Thompson Sportsman tires on the back. 26.1 Diameter. My 302 is close to stock.
Tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I fought the same issue with my 9"; initially I was going to go with the solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve, but a few old timers I talked to were against it on a street car ( heat, etc). I used a piece of bar stock with some pins in it to hold the yoke and it went ok; I guess we'll see in a few months!

Looking great -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Tom....check your PMs.
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I haven't posted much lately, but I did get the rear end changed out to a 3:55 to 1 by somebody who has done a lot of them. I took it to the shop with my trailer but had trouble getting it off. The headers were getting hung up on the trailer. Seems like the front end has sagged quite a bit. Had to pry them up to get unloaded. When it was done I drove it home and it ran really well. The rpm is under 2000 now at 60 miles an hr and no noise :D
The last 2 weeks I've been putting a 350 GM mercruise motor :( together for my daughters boat. The original ended up with a cracked block so I had to order a new long block. Anyway back to the car. I ordered new coil springs and the last 2 days I installed them. I hate working with them. So spooky.
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

get longer loading ramps......or put a floor jack under the trailer tongue and jack it up....thus lowering the end of the trailer,,we have run into this many times loading /unloading race cars.... :shock: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:I ordered new coil springs and the last 2 days I installed them. I hate working with them. So spooky.
Me too that is one reason I went with air bags and I can raise my car up if I need to get over something too high :P

Good to hear it is working out for you.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058