Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol:
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You're right, John. Got my head turned around and stated it backwards. Not the first time. :roll: Anyway, I went back and edited it to prevent future confusion. Thanks for keeping me straight.

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Another problem came up this summer when the temperature got over 90 degrees. My cooling system couldn't keep it cool with the AC on. So I purchased another radiator. I got the one that Mike talked about getting from Champion radiators. It's designed for early big block fords. Here is a picture of it along side my old one. As you can see it's bigger than the old one. I also got the fan shrowed and fans for it.

Here is a picture showing the front of the car already cut out for the new radiator.

I'm thinking this will take care of that problem :D

Thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:So I purchased another radiator. I got the one that Mike talked about getting from Champion radiators. It's designed for early big block fords
Cool 8) Yes I have a new one sitting in a box waiting for me to get to that point (Champion EC375) I bought it last summer.

I haven't got around to modding the core support or mocking it up yet, just yesterday or so I ordered a new Ford Contour electric fan(s) and should get it this week, hopefully it won't all stay so cool it freezes my little 250 solid :P

I am hoping when I get it in there I can push it further forward than the original and fit a stock 69-70 Mustang A/C condenser on there.

Thanks for the pictures Tom it helps me see what I have coming ahead of me.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

looks good....hope it works !!! pop
pop/glenda

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

On a side note Tomb,how are the epoxied fender extensions holding up? any sign of paint cracking at the interface to the fender?

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Did you havd a shroud on the small rad?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:On a side note Tomb,how are the epoxied fender extensions holding up? any sign of paint cracking at the interface to the fender?
The paint hasn't cracked, but if the light is right and you look at it just right you can see a line. It's like something shrunk. Maybe the epoxy or the bondo and it's not around the whole joint. I'm sure I could rough it up and spray a couple more coats of clear and then cut and polish it right out. I have noticed some other spots where there looks like shrinkage also on the car.
I read where some perfectionist body people let the car sit for almost a year before actually painting it so that the bondo and primer shrinks up.
I think it still looks good.
tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

SASSY wrote:Did you havd a shroud on the small rad?
I didn't have a shroud on the small radiator. I didn't have the room and I didn't try to make room like I 'm doing now. I had a 16" puller fan and 2- 8" pusher fans. I also had a AC condenser and a trans cooler in front of the old radiator. It worked great until the outside temperature got over 90 degrees :(
This time I moved the the radiator as far forward as I could get it and made the opening 23 1/8" wide. I'll still have the AC condenser but the trans cooler needs a new spot or I need to get a smaller one.
tom
tomb's 65

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Put the trans cooler in the front wheel house behind the headlights with a fan. ,,, Better yet start searching for a third pedal assembly :lol:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

That's not a bad idea to put the cooler in front of the wheel house; in fact both those ideas aren't bad :lol:
tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

PUT you a 4spd....perfebaly a 5 spd,,,with a good gear in the rear,,,,,then all your head aches are over.....then you realy will enjoy driving it...….OL POP has given many thoughts on a 5 spd...but with this cobra build and then my 77 bronco redo...then my 67 fastback s code stang….decided to just leave the 64 comet.alone,,,just like it was built back in the early 90's...pop
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I wanted a nice cruiser for the wife and I to drive so I'm happy with what I got. I do have a 95 Mustang set up for drag racing and it's street legal to get my thrill of shifting and smoking the tires.
Here is a picture of the radiator with shroud and fans.

Here is a picture of the angle iron structure I built for strengthening the front radiator mount after cutting out about 2 1/2" on each side of the opening.

I'm waiting for paint to dry so I can start putting it all back together :D
Thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:I'm waiting for paint to dry so I can start putting it all back together
Cool can't wait to see it all installed so I have an idea of what I will be doing in the near future.

Thanks for sharing.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

By all means,,all of my trucks and cars have a clutch,,,except my very low mileage 94 F150,,and sometimes I just drive it to stay away from the clutch...thanks POP
pop/glenda