Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:By all means,,all of my trucks and cars have a clutch,,,except my very low mileage 94 F150,,and sometimes I just drive it to stay away from the clutch...thanks POP
forgot,,,my 1977 bronco has a AT....
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:This time I moved the the radiator as far forward as I could get it
Do you have any idea how much space you gained in front of the motor over the old setup? I intend to cut the core support like you did.

Right now with my 250-6 I think the stock radiator would fit and maybe even a belt driven fan (don't know never mocked the fan in there) but would like more room because I am adding the Contour fans and shroud (I got them the other day, they are really thin) of course I am in no position to mock anything up at the moment :roll: I think I will be ok because my water pump pulley is the nearest to the radiator and should fall between the dual Contour fans.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

lavron wrote:
tomb22 wrote:This time I moved the the radiator as far forward as I could get it
Do you have any idea how much space you gained in front of the motor over the old setup? I intend to cut the core support like you did.

Right now with my 250-6 I think the stock radiator would fit and maybe even a belt driven fan (don't know never mocked the fan in there) but would like more room because I am adding the Contour fans and shroud (I got them the other day, they are really thin) of course I am in no position to mock anything up at the moment :roll: I think I will be ok because my water pump pulley is the nearest to the radiator and should fall between the dual Contour fans.

See Ya,
Mike
Here is a picture Mike of the water pump pulley between the 2 fans like your thinking. This set up gained me 3/8" from my old set up.

tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I finally got to putting it back together. First I installed the angle iron bracket which fits behind the radiator mount.

The picture doesn't show it very well. I then mounted the radiator to the angle iron thru the radiator mount with the bottom as close to the radiator mount as possible without touching the mount. The top of the radiator slants back a little so that the cap is accessible. I still had to cut out the top a little.

Then added the shroud and fans.

So far it all seems to be working out
Thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:This set up gained me 3/8" from my old set up.
I guess you can't complain about that, bigger radiator and a bit more room.

Thanks for sharing the picts they help a lot.

As soon as I am flipped back upright and have wheels again I may mock my engine in again just to make sure I haven't caused any issues adding stuff and I can get the core support modded and my radiator/fans mocked in. I wish my motor was done so I could just slap it in and drive :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I finally got the AC condenser and a new transmission cooler installed. The front looks a lot more cleaner than it used too.

I need a new AC line made with a different fitting than I had to finish it. I probably won't get that done now until this virus thing is over. We go on lock down tomorrow at 8 am.
Thanks for looking
tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

It's been a while, but I did get the car all back together. Got the AC recharged and have been driving it. The new Granada spindles have shorter tie rod arms which have made the turning radius smaller which works better with my rack and pinion. I got the alignment set up with .125- camber and 4.125+ caster. The toe in is 1/8" and the car drives really well.
For a winter project I'm buying this coil over kit for the front. It will let me adjust the ride height. I want to raise the front 1" so the headers won't get hung up on the trailer when I take it to the track, If I do. I can also adjust the ride for a nice smooth cruise. Right now the front is a little stiff compared to the back. The T on the shock is also bearing-ed.

It's fun to watch everybody looking at it wondering what it is. :D
tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

This past week I finally started my winter project. I was struggling with some health issues but I'm feeling pretty good now. This is one of the front coil over shocks I'm installing.

I wanted to raise the front end 1" and get a better ride. Here is a picture of one installed.

I still need to align the front end but I took it for a ride and it sure rides a lot smoother. I think I'm getting it where I want it. :D
Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I really like those ! what did they cost? yea all those adjustments would help me out a lot too! those are rebound & dampening knobs right?
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Those are very tidy coilovers!
With the changes Ive made in the front the cars ride height is where a stock suspension would be about touching the subbers, do you think those coilovers can operate in that range?
I run a stock length shock but it is quite compressed at ride height.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:39 pm
I really like those ! what did they cost? yea all those adjustments would help me out a lot too! those are rebound & dampening knobs right?
I paid under $700.00 for the entire kit. They have 22 adjustments for compression and rebound to give you comfort or handling or somewhere in between. They also have a stiffer shock for better handling that is totally adjustable also. You can look them up at www.vi-king.com. There out of Lakeville, MN
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:11 am
Those are very tidy coilovers!
With the changes Ive made in the front the cars ride height is where a stock suspension would be about touching the subbers, do you think those coilovers can operate in that range?
I run a stock length shock but it is quite compressed at ride height.
Fred
There standard kits are set up to lower the front and I wanted to raise mine an inch so I called them. They had me measure the the length of the shock for the ride height I wanted and then sold me the right shock to go with the coil spring. I would give them a call Fred and tell them what you want. Their number is 952-469-4130 www.vi-king.com
Here is a picture of how far I ran the retaining nuts up the shock to get the height I wanted. The snubber is left of the shock.

Tom
tomb's 65

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks for the info. Bit rich for me, would be well over a G note CDN for me but I'll check out the site and dream a bit.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about