popscomet

Re: Rocket's Comet Build

Post by popscomet »

you did good :!: :!: :D .................pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks guys! R&S - the stock shifter did sit pretty far forward. The handle angling back toward driver helps but the T5 shifter definitely winds-up in a really good/better spot IMO.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I ended up making a 1/2" shim to move the shifter a little closer to me.

Looks good.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Man that interior looks great! You need to come out to CA and do mine!!! I can supervise/drink beer and shout advice and opinions!! :mrgreen:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I like the black better than the red :D

Looks Good. Is the floor just painted?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yep, along with with few cut-to-fit pieces of indoor/outdoor carpet. :D

I’ll get around to carpet someday...just not high on the list. A drink holder will probably push it over the edge...that trans tunnel gets warm with no insulation!! :lol: Though it WOULD help keep the coffee warm.

I forgot to mention I also installed 4-point belts..definite improvement.

Not so much the cheap Grant wheel I got to stand in while I do the “Johno-mod” to the original. I like the extra room with it being 2+ inches smaller & it’s not noticeably tougher to steer...just don’t like it. Never been a fan of the mounting & just doesn’t feel right...probably won’t last long! :lol: :mrgreen:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:Yep, along with with few cut-to-fit pieces of indoor/outdoor carpet.
Nothing wrong with that except maybe it getting hot. I am seriously considering something other than carpet, I would like a rubber floor mat like it originally had but I don't think anyone makes them.

My other consideration is after I get my floor repaired is bonding an smooth aluminum plate to the floor and spraying it with either bedliner or lizard skin (don't know much about lizard skin like if it is an insulator) the other thing would be to sandwich some sort of insulation between the steel floor and aluminum plate but I would like to make sure the floor is fully sealed so I don't have to worry about rust.

End goal is to keep the road/engine heat out and make it somewhat quiet to drive long distances, and I really don't like carpet much :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

There is some insulation under the carpet sections. I’ll probably do the trans tunnel in a similar fashion & call it good for now.

You could (and this would be pretty dang permanent) glue down some of that “bubble-wrap sandwiched by foil” insulation (forget the name, sorry but a lot of hardware stores sell by the linear foot), then pour on the bed liner, spread evenly, let dry... Toss some Blue Oval floor mats in & call it good...!! :D :mrgreen:

Might take a few gallons but it’d be waterproof, quiet, and cool! :lol:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:You could (and this would be pretty dang permanent) glue down some of that “bubble-wrap sandwiched by foil” insulation (forget the name, sorry but a lot of hardware stores sell by the linear foot), then pour on the bed liner, spread evenly, let dry... Toss some Blue Oval floor mats in & call it good...!!
I was just trying to figure out a way to cover the ribs in the floor and not make a place for water to collect, at least it will be a while before I am ready to do it so I have plenty of time to study the situation.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Getting close to time again. I recently got a new job after almost 20-years...that’s been kicking my ass a little! Combine that with the kids sports, home improvements, and my needing a break after 4-years of late nights with the Comet... Yep, basically just drove it all summer... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’ve got close to 700 miles on the new drivetrain & while not without its challenges (see broken rocker stud blurb, etc.) the heap has done great.

I finally flogged it a little on the way home from a work deal tonight. Some decent curves...may not be a new Porsche but for 54-years old...it’ll still make your hind quarters pucker!! Shucks, and it looks way better doing it!! :D :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Credit is due to the Shelby team from the early-mid 60’s. Slap modern rubber on that stuff & it’s STILL competitive!!! I think anyway! :D

I’ve got a number of things I’d like to get done over the winter (including fixing broken pic links!)...hope to start soon!!! :mrgreen:

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It's been too long since your thread was last active, and I'm too lazy to sift back through all the pages, so refresh me please: what all did you do to your suspension?
65 linkage? Shelby drop? Quick steer? Big sway bar? Roller perches? Disc kit? :?
Jim