Rocket's Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Rocket989

Re: Rocket's Comet Build

Post by Rocket989 »

Think I fixed the vid...not a YouTube whiz for sure.

I think it took 4 attempts to finally get to running long enough for break in. Fan was too close to rad, so it carved a nice eyebrow on the bottom lip of top “tank” on the new-new rad... :roll: Not through though & if it does start leaking that’s an easy fix. Likely that was the noise that had the older bro flapping his arms to shut it down. Took a bit to figure it out incl. starting to re-lash rockers on the driver side.

Also had a not-so-small coolant incident that covered the whole front half of the car (and the older bro) in antifreeze. Put that dang cap on!!!

I think too we should have added more timing. You can see in the vid the back two header tubes on the pass side are glowing a bit.

It wouldn’t start back up after but I didn’t try hard. The dist was looser than I thought so mighta moved. I changed the oil and re-stabbed the dist. with 9-degrees of advance, cleaned-up and went to bed.

I’m debating whether or not to adjust lash before starting backup again and verifying I can set timing. The older bro was isn’t too familiar with this stuff so those that did get done could be off. I did set one intake/exhaust hot so I could check that cold value.

So, figure that out, get running, set timing, etc. then I’ll try switching to the 600 mech sec.

I need to figure out if a bump starter will work with the PMGR mini starter....maybe one lead to + on batt and other to the right big post on fender solenoid.

Dang...sorry, wrote a book! :roll: :lol: :lol:

If all that junk goes well I’ll the the rear on stands and test out the hydro clutch. From there...drive the heap!! :D :lol: :wink:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

sound like it was huntin just a tad.......you did 2 things we never do on a fresh start up.....we always use plain water at 1st,,,and we never fill the rad to the top and you just proved WHY !! After all is tuned and set, and we have stopped all leaks .,then we always add a gallon of anti-freeze...plain water is simpler to clean up......but that's just us!....and we don't waste any coolant....your work so far is good,,get her all tuned and adj and drive the wheels off it....good luck and thank you..................POP
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Heh...got no excuses either. Cap was an oversight and I’d already mixed most of the distilled water w/ coolant. Should of gotten more...it’s cheaper! :D

Neighbors are probably wondering why green rivers seem to regularly flow down our driveway! :wink: :roll:

At least this time I got to drain the rad to swap fan spacers...not much I could do with the gaping hole last time!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BY NED,you got her now !! that rascal hittin on all 8.....you did good !! you built yourself a stem winder.... :wink: pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea it sounds great !!!! :D :D :D

I was breaking in the cam on a 302 in a truck ,no hood ,humming between 2000-2500 rpms, all of a sudden the windshield turned green :shock: I had one of those SS hoses to the rad, I guess the big chrome end wasn't on the thermostat housing neck good enough & popped off. antifreeze all over the brand new motor with polished intake. :roll: :x :x :roll: Glad I had the windshield in!!! :lol:
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Smooth runnin and she sounds tough as hell!
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sounds great, Rocket. :D My first Cyclone had 3" chrome pipes like that cut at 45* on the ends. There was a railway underpass not far from me, and every time I went through it, I made sure my windows were down. Didn't matter if it was 20* outside. Man, it sounded good. 8)
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks guys! It’s definitely got a little nasty in the idle. :lol:

Hopefully a test drive in the next week or two!

Johno - ugh! I’m almost as tired of antifreeze as I am brake fluid...almost...

comethead

Post by comethead »

Sounds awesome!!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Been getting my a** kicked a bit by the heap. Finally got it running right (for now...really need a diff carb) & took for drive over to a buddy's place. Proof that it happened! :D

comethead

Post by comethead »

Awesome!! It’s a big step getting it on the road. I have no doubt you’ll have the bugs worked out soon. Just get your biggest snow shovel and start throwing (more) money at it! :shock:

Congrats on the progress!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea they seem to kick hard when you make big changes like that but looks like you kicked right back. good to see it out! if the rain will go away I'm going to take mine for a ride ! I got it out a couple weeks ago but that seems like a distant memory now. :)
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Weather stinks this time of year. I finally put new side mirrors on (adjustable d****t!! and added one for pass side - how the heck did folks back into tight spaces with DS only!?!?) and a repro rearview (wee crooked on the button but story of me & the Comets life!)... Shucks, had to drive around for awhile then. :lol: :D Tomorrow - calling for 3-inches if snow!!! :roll:

I need to adjust the vacuum advance can a little but it ran dang fine! :)

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I finally settled on a factory refurb Quick Fuel HR carb to replace the too small Street Avenger and the Summit carb that was defective outta the box. I’m beginning to think the SA just wants to stay on the car! :shock: :lol:

FFS!! The floats were so high the bowls pretty much filled all the way up, one of the choke screws was loose, the mixture screws were all over (4-corner idle) and the adjustable secondary screw was about all the way out... :roll: :x

I got pissed and chucked it back in the box after adjusting everything. I’m still worn out from the late nights getting the heap to this point and continuing to jack with dubious carbs on a new motor pretty much has me in the mindset to just keep driving it for awhile... :lol:

I am going to get the 4-point belts installed this week though! I hope PostImage fixes itself soon so I can jack up some pics!!