64 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
comethead

Re: 64 Comet Build

Post by comethead »

Looking good! I gotta run mufflers too or the neighbors will kill me!
Looking forward to seeing your Comet run!
Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

last week DWAYNE pulled ole RUSTY out on the dead end street POP lives on,,,,nailed it a few times,,,,rear end crow hopped...got to checking while on the lift and found out some welds had gave up,,not ours but the man that custom built this pro street rear end for this 64 comet,,,,so we are in process of fixing his short comings.....won't be long it;ll go to the track along with my red comet,,we want to get a picture of our 2 64's leaving the lights together.....ought to be sight to see...pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Pop!

Nice fab work and a cool build! Keep 'em coming when ya can.
Interested to see when this old boy hits the strip. :)

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:18 pm
Hey Pop!

Nice fab work and a cool build! Keep 'em coming when ya can.
Interested to see when this old boy hits the strip. :)

JT
POP won't post pic's...son does when he thinks about it,,,,we really don't get into pic's as others do on here,,,,but I'll mention to son to keep them coming.....and thank you,,,,it may not be long before it goes to the track the 1st time,,,this drag strip we go to... race almost year round weather permitting....when it gets to cold to run at night they open up during the day on saturdays....the owners live on the same property as the track and he in his younger life raced at this very track and now he owns it,,,,so he knows raceing and that a real racer wants to race everyday it ain't raining,,,cool huh?? POP
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:24 pm
POP won't post pic's...son does when he thinks about it,,,,we really don't get into pic's as others do on here,,,,
Nah, don't need pictures, just the shakedown news w/ some timeslips :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SON built a bracket and put a one wire 100 amp alt on the other night,,at 1st wasn't going to have one,but he changed his mind.,so at least we won't have to keep a charger handy.about ready to take it for a road test and see what holds UP or fails.we just can hope for the best,,,,son has flat done some up town work on this 64 comet....for sure,,,!!
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SON power bled brks on OL RUSTY last night,,,with 11in disc on all 4 corners,,,it ought to whoa up without any problems...
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DWAYNE took OL RUSTY down the road this afternoon,,,,shifted in the low 6's,,ran good and looked good...got to hook up a tail light for after sun goes down at the track and just a minor thing or two...we are thinking real hard on taking it to the track saturday....won't take my red comet,,but our plans are to take both 64 comets and line up against each other for no more other then a picture of both on the track together and post it ....pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Cool Ray, Pop!

Glad ya'll are getting Rusty ready. Looks like lots of brake work this week.
I have to do a brake job on Old Roop's car, as soon as the parts come in. Found a parts car for him this morning.

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate this weekend for some shakedown runs.
Looking forward to your report! Pics are icing on the cake :D
Don't break anything! :P

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL it looks like OL RUSTY is headed for the drag strip come saturday night,,,,,we have had this comet for so many yrs ,,hit and miss for awhile then it would sit for yrs,,,it's finally comeing to a head,,,it sat for over 22yrs after we got the rear end under it,,,offered to sell it a time or two....but we hung onto it...just waiting for the stars to line up....well they are in a row,,,,we are not concerned come saturday night in how fast it is ,,we just want to test n tune...we have never really driven it so it;s going to be a learning thing..besides we are alittle rusty,,,we been dirt track raceing for the last 20 plus yrs,,,but drag raceing is where our heart has always been,,,,so we ain't scared,,,,wish us a bit of luck,,,after all the engine in OL RUSTY is a dirt track engine that has won many races and a couple of championships...we had to start somehere so we chose to bring this engine out of retirement ...but it can be made bigger and better if need be at the drop of a nickle or 2 pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:07 am
...we had to start somehere so we chose to bring this engine out of retirement ...but it can be made bigger and better if need be at the drop of a nickle or 2 pop
I'm gonna drive up and watch you run when you get up to the Konis and wheelie bars :P

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

well,come on when you get the itch,,,,tomorrow night is thier last night time test n tune,,5 til 11,,then in 2wks they switch to sat daytime noon til 5....races every sunday,,,this track tries to open most of the year if it don't rain,,,they live at the track and owner raced there yrs ago,,and he knows a racer wants the race,,,so he opens the track even when cold weather sits in....
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

like I said in track report,,,the old comet did good,,,it ran first time right off the trailer about what we thought it would,,,when DWAYNE was a teenager it had a MC wreck and hurt his right elbow real bad,which happens to be his shifting arm,,and it flared up and locked up somewhat resulting in a missed gear ,,so we have an inline shifter we are thinking about installing,,,won't have to work his elbow as much...the old comet has a lot to offer,,we just have to cross all the t's and dot all the i's it has in it.....we were real pleased ,all these yrs of work and expense payed off ,,,it was cold yesterday at the track,,,but I'd rather wear a jacket then carry a sweat towel,,at least you don't have an over heating problem...pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

That's a pretty good timeslip with a missed shift.
Was watching video of a guy last night in a SS Nova pulling front tires off the pavement with slower times.
Old Rusty ain't no slouch. :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thank you JT...another thing WE are rusty to a point,,,been dirt raceing for so long,,,,we were pleased that nothing broke that we can tell...we'll get it on the lift in a day or so and recheck everything from the bottom....like I told the track owner when he came over pattin us on the back on how good the old car performed...I said...as long as it restarts and we can load it on it's own,,,,WE WON !!..( altho we never drive a race car on the trailer,,that's why we have a winch on every trailer we use..always take care of that clutch )) we will get faster,,you can take that to the bank,,maybe not by much,,,but you can count on it,,,LORD knows that ain't no brag,,we just have to have something to shoot for.....pop
pop/glenda