65 Comet with 390

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Joe Travers

Re: 65 Comet with 390

Post by Joe Travers »

loman wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:01 pm
In true fashion of my expertise, my official measuring tool was a piece of cardboard from a 30 pack of Natty Light.
I had to laugh.....if that was Natty Ice, you might have got into the intake runner :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

loman

Post by loman »

I ordered the factory style 2x4 linkage but still haven't received it. So a friend of mine welded up our own homemade linkage. We got it installed and got the car running again with dual quads finally. After some playing around for a couple of days, we finally got the stumble and bog worked out. I also had to do away with my old accelerator cable and bought the Lokar universal cable and installed it with a custom home made bracket. So hopefully we make it out this weekend to see how its gonna do. A simple intake swap from 1 carb to 2 carbs has taken a couple of months but hopefully we are ready to go.
Attachments
dual quad.jpg
dual quad.jpg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
dual quad 2.jpg
dual quad 2.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
dual quad 3.jpg
dual quad 3.jpg (68.36 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks wicked! Man you sure do go thru a lot of cool whip ! I noticed you had a tub at PF a few years ago! :P

Johno

loman

Post by loman »

Johno, one would think Cool Whip should be giving me some sponsorship money with alll my advertising I do for them😂

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

That's going to be a wild ride. 8)
Sorta reminds me of a '66 Fairlane 390/ CJ heads project I started back in the 80's but never got to finish :(
This will be wilder, lighter car. Too cool :wink:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

loman

Post by loman »

I made it to the track last weekend while everyone else was at the gathering. I was warned by several fellow racers with dual quads at the track that my car would most likely be slower than it was with the single 4 bbl. They were right. First couple of passes were 7.91 and 7.92 then the car slowed down into the 8.10-8.20 range and sounded like it was hitting rev limiter at 5000rpm. I have a 6000 chip in it. I was knocked out 1st round because of the issue. However, they had a consolation race so I entered it since I was already at the track and planned to use it as a test n tune. We put a 6200 chip in the msd box thinking the 6000 chip went bad. But the car still had the issue. Luckily, the guy i ran had traction problems so i was onto 2nd rd. We pulled the chip out all together and what do you know, I had the bye run. Dumb luck. So free pass, and without rev limiter chip the car ran great a 7.83. car revved up to 6000 without issues. On to 3rd round, then I loss with a 7.90 but again the car revved the way it should. That was a good $20 test n tune investment. time to get a new msd box.

loman

Post by loman »

I finally got the seats reupholstered last weekend. Me and a friend got them recovered and reinstalled last Saturday. I'll get some pics posted soon. I never thought I would see the day that I would put a full interior back in that car but i'm so glad that I did.

I also got me a new MSD 6al2 box that hopefully gets put in this weekend.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

loman wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:26 pm
I made it to the track last weekend while everyone else was at the gathering. I was warned by several fellow racers with dual quads at the track that my car would most likely be slower than it was with the single 4 bbl. They were right.
Why the drop-off? Traction problems?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP has run more then 1 carb for several yrs,2 4's,,3 2's,,,,,but my engine always was more crisp with 1 4bbl carb,,,,I just like the whow factor of a few carbs sitting on the top of the motor........pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:48 pm
POP has run more then 1 carb for several yrs,2 4's,,3 2's,,,,,but my engine always was more crisp with 1 4bbl carb,,,,I just like the whow factor of a few carbs sitting on the top of the motor.......
I know where you're coming from Pop, but 2-4160s can be tuned to work exactly like a 4150 if linkage and jetting are correct. The secondaries shouldn't see much work @ 6K rpm on a 390 unless it's bogging down. I would love to install dual quad, probably Jim's set-up, when money allows. A bit pricey for new Holleys.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

loman

Post by loman »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:59 am
loman wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:26 pm
I made it to the track last weekend while everyone else was at the gathering. I was warned by several fellow racers with dual quads at the track that my car would most likely be slower than it was with the single 4 bbl. They were right.
Why the drop-off? Traction problems?

Joe
Joe,

I would suspect the drop off is from a couple of things. I have mild 390 motor with not a lot of cam. I originally had a dual plane 4bbl intake and that all seemed to work really good together. Most likely i have way more intake with the BBM tunnel wedge dual quad intake. But the rules state that I must have dual quad intake. Is it optimal, most definately not, but at least i get to go out and play and have fun right now. Also, I never had dual carbs before so i'm flying by the seat of my pants and trying to learn how to dial it in. The carbs i'm currently using were a couple that a friend of mine had on the shelf (450's mechanical secondarie) so maybe they are not the best ones for my combo either. You never know what might happen in the winter time, maybe a stroker combo or maybe just be content with what i have and enjoy it. Either way me and the crew chief are having fun at the track and that's the most important thing.

loman

Post by loman »

I moved the car outside this morning and let the new upholstery catch some rays. I'm happy the way they turned out. The covers are from Jake and a friend of mine helped me install them.
Attachments
front seat.jpg
front seat.jpg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
back seat.jpg
back seat.jpg (75.23 KiB) Viewed 2947 times

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

loman wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:33 pm
I have mild 390 motor with not a lot of cam. I originally had a dual plane 4bbl intake and that all seemed to work really good together. Most likely i have way more intake with the BBM tunnel wedge dual quad intake. But the rules state that I must have dual quad intake. Is it optimal, most definately not, but at least i get to go out and play and have fun right now. Also, I never had dual carbs before so i'm flying by the seat of my pants and trying to learn how to dial it in. The carbs i'm currently using were a couple that a friend of mine had on the shelf (450's mechanical secondarie) so maybe they are not the best ones for my combo either. You never know what might happen in the winter time, maybe a stroker combo or maybe just be content with what i have and enjoy it. Either way me and the crew chief are having fun at the track and that's the most important thing.
I've just gotten around to checking out BBM the last couple days. Checked them against Trick Flow 175 and Max Pro 200. BBM heads outflow everything on the market today. That tunnel wedge intake is probably meant for those big whoppers. 2.25 intake valves, I believe.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

loman

Post by loman »

I have the trick flow heads and i ordered the trick flow intake last December. The ship date kept getting pushed back until one day in March I found out my order had been cancelled. After calling Summit and Trick Flow trying to find out what was going on, I was told any orders over 3 months out were cancelled because the casting plants were so far behind they couldn't give any accurate ship dates. With only a month to go, i purchased the bbm intake so I could race this year in the class i wanted to race in.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I checked all the flow charts. The TF heads aren't lagging much behind the big BBMs and are plenty stout. Much stouter than any cast head made.
There is a big shortage with aluminum supplies, it seems. Most of the U.S. manufacturers are out of stock. Some wheels are out of stock as well. Last year didn't help things at all. Had to wait 6 months for aluminum awning supplies after the hurricane for my repairs.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop