Cragar Rim advice please

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lumn8tion

Re: Cragar Rim advice please

Post by Lumn8tion »

caseville cyclone wrote:Lumn8tion,is that car show your talking about located in Frankenmuth Michigan? Welcome to the forum by the way! I live in Caseville Michigan and maybe I'll run across you at some car show. Andy P.S. (I'll be looking for yor Comet thanks to your pictures.)
Hey Andy!
Im planning on attending the Midland Cruise and Car show Sept 15-17.
My Mom has been involved for 30 years! I don't think Ill be able to make the Frankenmuth show this year however. Can you make it to Midland?
Funny, My Grandparents lived in Caseville and I spent every summer up there. Fantastic memories. Thanks for reaching out and hope to see you!
Paul
PS: Great looking Cyclone you have there!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! I agree that white letters vs. blackwalls depends on the car color. To me, white letters look best on a dark car, e.g. black, blue, etc. Blackwalls look best on lighter or brighter colored cars. I have Cooper Cobras on mine, and turned the blackwalls out. Just looked better to me on a bright red car. Best advice, though, is do what YOU want. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :wink: 8)
Jim

1964topless

Post by 1964topless »

1964 Comet Caliente Convertible

I know this is an older post, but I am currently wanting to change out my Torque Thrust II 15" wheels, for a set of Cragar SS 14's and run a set of Cooper GT 215/70/14's. Problem is, I can't figure out which will fit. I know I need a 4.25 or 4.5 offset, but what about width?

Thanks!

What I'm trying to copy:
Attachments
I-like.jpg
I-like.jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 1043 times

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Cut a board about 1-1/2" wide and the length of the wheel flange diameter. That's the flange that tire bead seats against. Hold the board against the base of the outboard flange and place the butt end of a level on the floor and the edge of the level against the board and adjust to plumb. Use a tape measure to determine the distance from the inboard edge of the level to the inside of your fender well. Add the width of the board to that measurement and you have the distance from the wheel flange to the fender well, which is the amount of tire sidewall width you have room for, allowing about 1/4" for clearance. Do the same for the inboard side of the wheel to get the clearance space of the inner fender well. Determine your current backspace by measuring from the inside edge of the board placed on the inboard flange to the surface of the center of the wheel where it bolts to the axel. Now you know how much space you have between the inboard/outboard wheel flanges and the fender wells for a wheel with the width and backspacing of your current rims. Armed with that information, go to this link:
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp ... ic%20wheel

Using this information, you can determine the installed width of a particular tire on a rim of the width you want use. You can monkey with the backspace of the proposed rim to get the best centering/clearance of the tire in the fender well. I used this method when determining what rims/tires I wanted to put on my car and ended up within 1/8" of what I had predicted.

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I'm thinking 7" off the top of my head but follow Jim's lead to get the math correct before you purchase.
You have a little leeway with wheel width to match a given tire size. Just don't get too wide.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:D
The wheels that you have on the car now look great & really suit the car well with the perfect amount of bling!
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

what you already have looks mighty spiffy,,,,as far as a cragar whl ? on a comet !! they belong on tri 5 chevys or a boat trailer...jmo.....pop (TTD"s
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:29 am
what you already have looks mighty spiffy,,,,as far as a cragar whl ? on a comet !! they belong on tri 5 chevys or a boat trailer...jmo.....pop (TTD"s
reckon I posted this before I was ready.....TTD's are for comets....but it belongs to you,,so please yourself,,that's what counts....pop............good luck !!
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:29 am
reckon I posted this before I was ready.....TTD's are for comets....but it belongs to you,,so please yourself,,that's what counts....pop............good luck !!
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:41 pm
we are getting ready to change them,cause they are 22yrs old,,they are age cracked,still plenty of tread,,but the tires on GLENDA'S 1956 ford are COOPER COBRA...the white letters are still just as bright white as new,,,,I have a new set coming just like them..after all those yrs of car shows and it sits in a climat controlled one car garage,,she is ready to start just driving it..sorry STACEY for buttin in ,,,I just wanted to back you up on cooper white lettered tires....thanks....POP
I would like white letter tires on my Comet someday but I don’t think anyone makes them in 16” and of course my tires have to match except for size :lol:
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058