Cragar Rim advice please

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lumn8tion

Cragar Rim advice please

Post by Lumn8tion »

Hello group,
First post for me here. I have a 1965 Comet Caliente that I had a family friend restore. Its not numbers matching so I have a little freedom to customize.
I was looking to replace the 14" aluminum rims with 15" Chrome Cragar SS rims. I know nothing about rims/tires and need some advice. The Tire shop wanted to know the factory rim size for some reason and mentioned the OD being 25.9.
I don't know if that is accurate. Does anyone have Cragar rims/tire combinations they can recommend? It would be a great help. Also, any preference on white letters or not?
Thank you for taking the time on this post. Looking forward to replies.
Paul

Lip Ripper

Re: Cragar Rim advice please

Post by Lip Ripper »

Where are you located? I have a new set of 15x6 for the front with new tires and a set of 15x7's for the rear with 4 1/4" back spacing that I'm sure will fit nicely. I'm 33852 area code.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Lumn8tion

Post by Lumn8tion »

Lip Ripper wrote:Where are you located? I have a new set of 15x6 for the front with new tires and a set of 15x7's for the rear with 4 1/4" back spacing that I'm sure will fit nicely. I'm 33852 area code.

Stacey
Hello, The car is in Michigan 48611. Any pictures?
Thank you!
Paul

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome ! We'd enjoy pictures of your car
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on ! :D
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

No, the car is in the body shop right now. They're new. I've since found a set of vintage forged wheels and I'm going to use them.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Lumn8tion

Post by Lumn8tion »

Thank You for the warm welcome!
Here is a photo of my 65 Comet Caliente taken a couple years ago. (I know its the incorrect grill but I like the style of the Cyclone better)
I bout it at a Car show in IA and had it restored frame up over several years. Ill post more photos once I find the correct board.

I am still looking for tire /rim information regarding original size, Risize and offset. Also, white letters or not?

Thanks community!
Paul
Attachments
65 Comet Caliente
65 Comet Caliente
Comet Sunset-3.jpg (80.76 KiB) Viewed 3283 times

Lumn8tion

Post by Lumn8tion »

Lip Ripper wrote:No, the car is in the body shop right now. They're new. I've since found a set of vintage forged wheels and I'm going to use them.
Hey Lip Ripper,
I am interested in your offer. Can you give me more info/price? Are all tires new as well? Can you ship to MI?
I have a car show mid Sept Im trying to be ready for. Please let me know. Thanks a ton!
Paul

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lumn8tion wrote:Also, white letters or not?
I like the white letter tires JMO

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Mike, he and I have talked. The tires on the front are Cooper CS5's, blackwall. I love the solid white letter tires. Deedie had a brand I cannot recall that yellowed badly. I bought her a new set of BFG's for Christmas. They yellow'd badly. I contacted the ebay seller and they said contact BFG. I was told tough $#!*. I can say that we have Cooper Cobra's that stay white and a set of MT Sportsman's that do as well. After buying them since 1980, I'm done with the BFG's.

Stacey

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we are getting ready to change them,cause they are 22yrs old,,they are age cracked,still plenty of tread,,but the tires on GLENDA'S 1956 ford are COOPER COBRA...the white letters are still just as bright white as new,,,,I have a new set coming just like them..after all those yrs of car shows and it sits in a climat controlled one car garage,,she is ready to start just driving it..sorry STACEY for buttin in ,,,I just wanted to back you up on cooper white lettered tires....thanks....POP
pop/glenda

Lumn8tion

Post by Lumn8tion »

lavron wrote:
Lumn8tion wrote:Also, white letters or not?
I like the white letter tires JMO

See Ya,
Mike
Me too. Thanks Mike!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Sometimes,,it'll depend on the color of the car or truck,,,,solid black or raised white letter tires …..JMO... pop
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Agreed Pop. It's got to be the whole package. Like wide whites work on some cars but not others. On my Falcon, the black walls work for me. However, at the 12 hours of Sebring last year Continental brought these high performance tires with gold lettering and accents. They sent me an email response when I inquired saying that tire in the stores was the same compound. They missed my point. I think I would've put them on.

And I think F1 is using red, white or blue lettering on their tires to designate different compounds. I think they're running Yokohama's.

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Lumn8tion,is that car show your talking about located in Frankenmuth Michigan? Welcome to the forum by the way! I live in Caseville Michigan and maybe I'll run across you at some car show. Andy P.S. (I'll be looking for yor Comet thanks to your pictures.)