1965 Comet Caliente hardtop

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
My B/FX clone

1965 Comet Caliente hardtop

Post by My B/FX clone »

Have just bought me one, one of five known to excist in Sweden. Ford imported Fairlanes and not Comets at that time and this car came over here later in 1973 I think. It has the right color for my ideas, about the same red I saw in 1986 at Indianapolis Raceway but that was a real B/FX. But I never forgot it and now I finally stands here with such but a more common of the same car. I will begin with sorting the problems out and then hopefully driving it. Meanwhile I could look for all parts that's gonna be needed and I think I will not be able to find som much here in Sweden. So then you members of this forum could maybe be at help. I will sure have a lot of questions over time. Knowledge is the best help to avoid mistakes.
So for example if I want to replace the wiring harness of the engine compartment could I then use Mustang -66? I know very well that Mustang have two headlights and Comet four but that could be solved. Else it looks very much all the same to me. Perhaps it's even possible to use the under dash wiring from Mustang -66 sins the instruments are all the same I think. Newmade Mustang wiring must be easy to get and quite cheap, a totally correct one for-65 Comet is probably another story.
Thanks Leif

SASSY

Re: 1965 Comet Caliente hardtop

Post by SASSY »

Welcome!
I can't be of much help on your question but am hoping you'll post pics as you go and keep us updated.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Leif! :D Plenty of help available here, free for the asking. Here's a link to a thread that has some info on wiring harnesses. Good luck!
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =9&t=13865

Jim

My B/FX clone

Post by My B/FX clone »

Thanks for the answer. I checked out what Mac's have to offer but it wasen't within my budget. But I was surprised that they sold it as a Falcon/Comet part. I diden't think that Falcon had the same type of instruments as Comet, am I wrong? I did take a look at CJ ponyparts and they had -66 Mustang wiring to offer for a more reasonable price. So now I only hope that someone here knows if this could have a deacent fit in a Comet. From firewall to front these two cars could not possible be so different and neither under dash.
So next question will be what's in the steering column? Fairlanes has C3OZ-13341-B (except for 4-speed cars witch has a C3AZ). I do have the C3OZ NOS in box so if this is working for my steering column it would be great. My car was 3-speed on column original and that's what's still in the car but with a custom floor shift. I will quite sure go wíth a Toploader in the future together with a better engine.

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

Falcon and comet are not the same I have a source for the correct harnesses for under the hood of 1965 Comet I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and returning around May 28th if you PM me I can get back with you. I also have the parts for proper 4spd conversion.

Barry

My B/FX clone

Post by My B/FX clone »

By reading a few catalogs I've found out that -65 Comet has the same steering column wiring as -65 Fairlane C5OZ-13341-B. 1963-64 Comet has the same as likewise Fairlanes C3OZ-13341-B (except for 4-speed cars witch has a C3AZ part). But in a Fairlane catalog they specified a C5VY-13341-B for cars with floorshift. But that could be only for automatics. V is Lincoln and they diden't have any 4 on the floor what I know. So maybe I need another one then the one I have, but I'm not sure of witch? The change from -64 to -65 has maybe someting to do with the change from generator to alternator. Then it could be like this that the C3OZ will work anyway?
I'm trying to look into the other wiring for the engine compartment but when you get under dash it seems like it's much money despit if you search for Mustang or Comet. But I will continue to serch for options. My car's now working deacently well and meanwhile I just have to install some extra instruments to keep control over things instead of thoose that dosent work.
When we come to fuel sending units it looks like 1964-65 Comets has the same but what about the Hipo Comets? I think that 1963-65 Hipo Fairlane had a different one from thoose with regular engines.
A few more questions about interior, has all Comet hardtops the same bucketseats as well as bench seat in the front regardless of upholstery style? Does they have the same rear seat? Could you pick anything out of the Falcons, witch years then? Maybe even benches from 60-62 Falcon/Comets are the same? What are the front and rear armrests from, hardly Mustang but perhaps -65 Falcon and/or Fairlane? Is the Cyclone steering wheel the same as 3-spoke -65 Mustang except for the horn ring?
When I've figured out how to ad pictures you will see what it looks like!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Link to a real one discussed on here a coupe years ago. May have a bit of info on your quest for knowledge on BFX.
Make sure you hit the link in the second post.
Fred
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=7254
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

here is another option,a place to have your old wiring harness re worked;
http://midlifeharness.com/welcome.html
64 & 65 comets had the same 20 gal gas tank ( including hipos). only those 2 years (comet only)would have the same sending unit.
yes all hardtops 63-65 falcons & comets had same bucket seat frames, with different patterns for the covers.

but if you are trying to clone a bfx they had different seats. I think they used a lightweight seat similar to or the same as econoline vans. dont think they had a back seat,or armrests

Yes the mustang 3 spoke wheel is the same as 65 cyclone but 64 cyclone was slightly different.

that other link sassy is referring to ,the hamb has a lot of guys on there who know a lot about bfx & afx cars
Johno

My B/FX clone

Post by My B/FX clone »

Thanks for your answers!
I will take in all knowledge about these cars that I can. And I will use my background as a Fairlaneguy and the things I've learnd about thoose cars over the years. I've seen pictures of the B/FX interiors so I know about lightweight seats. I just want to give myself the possibility to put a somewhat original interior in this car if I ever want. So it's good to know what to look for. At the moment my seats is replaced with both front and rear from a Volvo Amazon.
Regarding wiring there's not so much to restore. There are a whole lot of cabels replaced but it works deacent at the moment.
/Leif

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

My B/FX clone I replied to your PM.