‘64 Cyclone update

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Post Reply
A/FX
Comet Central Member
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: S.E. Wisconsin

‘64 Cyclone update

Post by A/FX »

I thought I would post a brief update about my Cyclone rebuild. Today picked up the body from Restoration Specialists. That is the company that chemically stripped the body, fenders, and doors last year. Over the winter I finished fabrication and mocked up the rolling body and drivetrain. Six weeks ago the car went back to Restoration Specialists for e coating. They send it to Detroit on a large fixture to apply the coating, it goes through a process that includes submersing the body in eight tanks of chemicals. Now every inch of the body is coated with the material, inside and out including inside the areas that are normally inaccessible. ( I have used this process on other restorations and have been very pleased with the results)
I then took the body to the body shop, Monday we will start body work. The car will go back on the rotisserie so that we can finish every surface, top and bottom. Paint will be done before it leaves the body shop but that may be a couple of months down the road. My plan is to assemble the car for the final time over next winter and possibly have it finished for the summer of 2020.
I also have many items being powder coated, they should be back next week. My interior guy called me today, he received the one yard of material I ordered to make sure it was exactly what I wanted for the interior, I will pick that up tomorrow and make a decision so he can proceed with the seats, door panels, and headliner.
Here are a couple of pictures of the body in e coat.
Jim

Image

Image

Image
'64 Cyclone

caseville cyclone
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Caseville, Michigan

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by caseville cyclone »

WOW Jim your car looks great! Thats a great process,rust is definitely out of the question now. I can hardly wait to see the final color. What will be the final color and color of interior be? Keep up the good work and keep posting the progress! Andy
Image

User avatar
poboyjo65
Posts: 5755
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:40 pm
Location: Camden, Tenn.

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by poboyjo65 »

Wow is right Andy! :shock: top notch Jim! :D Exciting build here! :D
Image
347, 4sp, 9'' 215-60-15 - 29-15.0-15

popscomet
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Arkansas

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by popscomet »

that is a super deal,gonna be a fine 64 cyclone,,,probably one of the best !!!better then factory...pop
Image
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: S.E. Wisconsin

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by A/FX »

Thanks for the kind words guys. My goal is to make this rebuild everything I have always wanted for this car. It has been with me 51 years now, no doubt it will never leave.
As for color, it has always been “the red Comet” for me, especially when I had the two Comet GT’s sharing the same garage. But after owning it for this long I have decided to make a drastic change, Black interiors have never been my favorite although I have owned my share of them. This time around the car will be a special mix of Silver, not real metallic or gray toned but bright and very very fine metallic. We have come up with a variation that looks tasteful and correct. To compliment the exterior I have found a factory color of deep red vinyl that is exactly what I wanted, the seats will be done in the factory Cyclone pattern but the seats themselves are from a ‘64 T bird. I do not want the car to have a “custom” look to it, instead it will look like “upgraded factory”.
I had an extra ‘64 Cyclone door in my spare parts so I stripped it and my painter sprayed it two colors of silver so I could make the final decision. The attached photo is the color I chose and a sample of the vinyl.
Jim

Image
'64 Cyclone

caseville cyclone
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Caseville, Michigan

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by caseville cyclone »

That's going to look terrific Jim. Andy
Image

popscomet
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Arkansas

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by popscomet »

that will look good,,,,reminds me of a uncle's 64 202 comet he bought brand new,it was annaversery silver,,have never seen another that color,,,it had black inter,,,yrs later I use to comb the local salvage yards in hopes I might find it,,,,,never did,,,he let me use it to take my driver's test..I always thought silver was a great color on a comet......I almost painted mine silver yrs ago when I redone it,,,,,take care and good luck with it...…...POP
Image
pop/glenda

User avatar
Jims65cyclone
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:29 pm
Location: Lexington, SC

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by Jims65cyclone »

She's gonna look SWEET! 8) Keep us posted!

Jim
Image

15x7x3.75BS TTII's all around
215/65/15 front, 235/60/15 rear

tomb22
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by tomb22 »

keep the pictures coming Jim. Your car looks awesome. Like the silver and red for the interior. Very nice
tom
Image
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin
Posts: 4125
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Missouri, Ozarks way North
Contact:

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by lavron »

I like the idea of silver, no offense to anyone but there seems to be a lot of red Comets (my dad always wanted me to paint mine red)

Cant wait to see it finished.

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, My first car, I have owned it since 1979!
Image
Performance rebuild on a BUDGET - Installed; 250-6, T-5, 8.8 LSD, MII, Air Ride - Whatever I do it will be awesome!

popscomet
Posts: 9075
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Arkansas

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by popscomet »

lavron wrote:I like the idea of silver, no offense to anyone but there seems to be a lot of red Comets (my dad always wanted me to paint mine red)

Cant wait to see it finished.

See Ya,
Mike
red cars get more attention,,,which means more speeding tickets....cops watch em !! I read that somewhere :!: :roll: pop
Image
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin
Posts: 4125
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Missouri, Ozarks way North
Contact:

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:red cars get more attention,,,which means more speeding tickets....cops watch em !! I read that somewhere pop
I have heard that as well :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, My first car, I have owned it since 1979!
Image
Performance rebuild on a BUDGET - Installed; 250-6, T-5, 8.8 LSD, MII, Air Ride - Whatever I do it will be awesome!

comethead
Posts: 5134
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:44 pm
Location: Palmdale, CA

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by comethead »

Your 64 looks great Jim and the colors are right on! 8)
Looking forward to the progress

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- Road Race project. 302/4 speed
Image

User avatar
poboyjo65
Posts: 5755
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:40 pm
Location: Camden, Tenn.

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FX wrote:Thanks for the kind words guys. My goal is to make this rebuild everything I have always wanted for this car. It has been with me 51 years now, no doubt it will never leave.
As for color, it has always been “the red Comet” for me, especially when I had the two Comet GT’s sharing the same garage. But after owning it for this long I have decided to make a drastic change, Black interiors have never been my favorite although I have owned my share of them. This time around the car will be a special mix of Silver, not real metallic or gray toned but bright and very very fine metallic. We have come up with a variation that looks tasteful and correct. To compliment the exterior I have found a factory color of deep red vinyl that is exactly what I wanted, the seats will be done in the factory Cyclone pattern but the seats themselves are from a ‘64 T bird. I do not want the car to have a “custom” look to it, instead it will look like “upgraded factory”.
I had an extra ‘64 Cyclone door in my spare parts so I stripped it and my painter sprayed it two colors of silver so I could make the final decision. The attached photo is the color I chose and a sample of the vinyl.
Jim

Image
Great colors! I know it's only a test fender but why didn't you fix that dent? :lol: :lol: just kiddin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
347, 4sp, 9'' 215-60-15 - 29-15.0-15

A/FX
Comet Central Member
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:07 pm
Location: S.E. Wisconsin

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by A/FX »

Image[/quote]

Great colors! I know it's only a test fender but why didn't you fix that dent? :lol: :lol: just kiddin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I just pulled the door from my spare parts room, stripped the surface paint to bare metal and dropped it off for my painter to apply the two test colors. If I would have fixed the dents it would have lead to chemically stripping the whole door
e coat, epoxy primer, etc. etc. (I tend to get carried away sometimes!)

I spent today at the body shop, we started working in all the imperfections on the body applying epoxy primer to some of the components. Tomorrow we will continue on body work and refit the trunk lid to the opening. Actually the body on this car is very nice, no rust holes, just some dents from a previous run in that caused some minor dents. All if the window channels, cowl, etc. are perfect. We will install the doors, fenders, deck lid, and hood to make sure everything fits correctly then blow it apart for paint. ( I had all the parts installed during mock up in my shop so final fitting should go smoothly)
Jim
'64 Cyclone

Post Reply