‘64 Cyclone update

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by poboyjo65 »

afx1964 wrote:I might have a trunk trim piece for you. PM me with some info to send a picture to.
There you go , just in time! :D
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

It has been a busy couple of weeks. I have finished installing the new quarter glass and power operators, I am waiting for my glass guy to finish cutting the door and wing window glass. The new dash pad has been installed and I have trial fit the door panels and new arm rests. The wiring for the power windows and power door locks is installed from the glove box to the doors. ( the new fuse panel is in the glove box) The complete exhaust system is finally back from the polisher and has been installed.
Today I finished installing the permanent fasteners in the front suspension and installed the brake calipers.
My next project will be to fabricate the new front brake lines, then I will fill the master cylinder and bleed the brakes. I want the braking system fully operational before I install the drivetrain. I also modified the steering wheel horn contacts to work with the Cougar tilt steering column, I tested the horn system with a continuity tester and it works well. The steering wheel itself has been wrapped in leather to match the dash pad.
Here are a few pictures of the progress.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It is all pretty awesome Jim!

Can't wait to see more as you go.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lookin' good! 8)

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Here is an update on the Comet project.
I have been in the shop almost everyday working on the Comet, although I am gaining on it sometimes it seems that I take a step backwards instead progress forward.
Since my last post I have installed the door glass and have all the power window operators adjusted and working. I have installed the battery cables from the trunk to the engine compartment and made the terminations at each end. ( the cables run through the rocker panels, one in each side, battery is located in the trunk)
I have decided to relocate the front bucket seats. To accomplish this I modified the seat tracks to move the seats 2” rearward and 1” towards the center of the car. This modification has gained more leg room and allows me to angle the seat backs more. There will be no rear seat so I have plenty of space to work with. Modifications to the roll bar were necessary, I have replaced the straight bar behind the seats with a curved bar that I had custom bent.
The brake lines are finally finished, I had to have custom braided lines made for the front calipers to adapt the -3AN fitting to the 10mm banjo fitting on the caliper. Now that the system is complete I will fill it with fluid and bleed the air from the system. (Hopefully there will be no issues with leaks)
A number of small items have been installed or fabricated in addition to what I have mentioned.
Until next time........back to work.
Jim

Brake lines completed

This is the battery box, cables enter from the rear. Note vent tube, it vents to behind the bumper.

Front suspension

Cables are marked red and black with special shrink tube made for battery terminals

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It all looks super nice Jim, love the battery box.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It all looks great! What is your steering box out of, and what ratio is it?

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Jims65cyclone wrote:It all looks great! What is your steering box out of, and what ratio is it?

Jim
Jim,
The steering box is from a ‘68 Cougar, I believe the ratio is 16-1. I also used a Cougar tilt/ tilt away column, I had to shorten it to fit the Comet. The reason for the universal joint is that a rag coupling to mate the column to the box was difficult to locate and very expensive. I used a shaft from Borgson to match their U joint. The pitman arm is Cougar also.
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Here is another brief update on the Cyclone. After not being in the shop for over a week because of not feeling well I’m back working on the car everyday. I have the brake system operational now, it took some time to bleed the system because of the dual master and combination valve. I used a pressure bleeder and then went back and used a vacuum bleeder to purge the system. My plan now is to install the engine and transmission, first I have to adjust the valve train and install the intake. I plan to install everything as an assembly which should work well without the radiator core support in place. ( it now bolts in place along with the inner engine compartment panels)
Image Image

I also was going through some of my Comet stuff and came across some interesting literature:
Before computers they used paper diagnostic wheels to figure out what was wrong with a transmission.
Interesting.......
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Happy to read your back at it!
Neat Comet stuff.
I see you have another,,,, different little car??
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I would try and race you to completion but I am pretty sure you would win 8)

Love the Comet, it is going to be one the nicest ones around, nothing like a hand built Comet. And as always the color is great as opposed to... well never mind I think we all know. (nothing against the most popular color, I like it too)

Waiting to see this complete and in the sunshine.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:Happy to read your back at it!
Neat Comet stuff.
I see you have another,,,, different little car??
Fred
The weird little car is not mine, it belongs to a friend who I have done numerous restorations for. It came to me for some mechanical work which will take place after the Cyclone is finished. It is a 1936 Fiat Topolino.
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

lavron wrote:I would try and race you to completion but I am pretty sure you would win 8)

Love the Comet, it is going to be one the nicest ones around, nothing like a hand built Comet. And as always the color is great as opposed to... well never mind I think we all know. (nothing against the most popular color, I like it too)

Waiting to see this complete and in the sunshine.

See Ya,
Mike
Thanks for the kind comments. Your Comet may make it to the finish line before mine, I have decided that mine will be finished when it’s finished. I do not want to compromise the quality just to meet a deadline. I have “thrashed” too many times to finish a car for a certain event, it just takes the fun out of the build. My Comet might see the road later this year, I know it will be worth the wait.
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:Your Comet may make it to the finish line before mine
Well it may make it to the road soon(er) but won't be finished not sure that will ever happen, I want to be like Fred :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

lavron wrote: I want to be like Fred :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Well to do that ya need to get it on the pavement!!! :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about