Gauge CLuster stopped

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
64Hula

Gauge CLuster stopped

Post by 64Hula »

Hey all, I just purchased a 1964 Comet Caliente Convertible ,one of the flaws was the Gauge cluster lights stopped working, and most of the gauges don't work either especially the fuel gauge and speedometer, however the AMP gauge works fine. The previous owner said one day they just went out,
What should I be looking for and how to possibly fix it myself.

Thanks for all info
Scott

poboyjo65

Re: Gauge CLuster stopped

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D someone should be along soon to help you. I know just enough about wiring to be dangerous :roll:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Here's a link you can thumb through that may give you some leads.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =9&t=15192

The speedometer is mechanical, not electrical, so it's problem shouldn't be related to the other gauges and lights. Try disconnecting the spedo cable from the spedo and the tranny. Check the gear on the tranny end for damage, then spin the gear and see if the spedo end of the cable is turning. If not, replace the cable. If it is, the problem is in the speedo head. Good luck.

Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Here's another link that may be useful.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... ive#p51735

Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

The amp gauge works because there is a magnetic pickup that controls that gauge; no direct wire connection. The fuel, oil and temp gauges are fed thru a 5 volt controller which is behind the dash. 12 volts goes to the controller and 5 volts comes out to those gauges.
This is the way it is on a 65 so I'm assuming that's how it is on the 64. I would check to see if you have 12 volts to the controller first.
The dash lights are fed off the head light switch.
tom
tomb's 65

64Hula

Post by 64Hula »

Jim and Tom thank you for the advice, I will start to check in these issues this weekend and now I have a better idea what to look at.