Door lock cylinders...

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

Door lock cylinders...

Post by kevinshi »

I am unable to find a source for the 65 convertible door lock cylinders using the precise MPC part number (C5GY-6222050-A).

However there is wide availability for the Falcon/Mustang part number (C5DZ-6222050-A).

The pictures of these parts look compatible to me... anyone have experience replacing their cylinders?
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

Jims65cyclone

Re: Door lock cylinders...

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Are you planning to replace just the cylinders, or the whole lock assembly? I had to replace my ignition switch a year or so ago, so that meant my ignition key didn't match my doors anymore, so that meant three keys to deal with. Then, my 54 year old keys that are worn down to nubs got to where they wouldn't open the doors without a lot of jiggling, and sometimes not even then. So I ended up ordering this set off of ebay. $27 bucks and they work great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-Merc ... 9072!US!-1

JIm

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Well "yes" sort of...

I have replaced my ignition with a push button starter... meanwhile my door lock cylinders are just worn out. So I really didn't want the ignition switch...

However I ended up buying exactly what you did and they work just fine (as I expected). I found a good video on YouTube for how to rekey the lock (by swapping the tumbler pins) so I ended up setting mine up to match the trunk lock.

Thanks!
kevin
Thanks,
kevin

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Got a link for that re-keying video? That could come in handy in the future.

Jim

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Yep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icq_D0v8RF0

Thru trial and error I discovered that the whole process would be a gazillion times easier with something called a Key Guage or Key Decoder which is used to measure the cuts on the key so that you know what size pin to use for each of the five lower pins. I cannot say for certain but I believe this one specifically measures the pins in the locks used by Ford in the 1960s.

For me the new cylinders had a slightly smaller diameter pin size than my originals. This meant I couldn't just reuse the original pins (they were too fat). I managed to find the right combination but it was pretty painstaking without this tool because each time I replaced a pin it would sometimes initially feel correct only to have it fail after I jiggled the lock a bit (to simulate road rattle)... so the "guessing" process is pretty annoying...

It would definitely be a LOT easier to let a locksmith do it... but I really wanted to learn how it all works anyway so I just persevered (and indeed it is pretty interesting how they work).
Thanks,
kevin

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Don't tell anyone but I have removed all the pins from door lock cylinders before. Sshhh!

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lip Ripper wrote:Don't tell anyone but I have removed all the pins from door lock cylinders before. Sshhh!

Stacey
I did that on the garage walk doors in our old house, actually I left some that matched the main house door key because I did not have enough matching pins.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058