Water Pump Rotation

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Benny

Water Pump Rotation

Post by Benny »

Hi All,
I own a 64 with a 260 .
My question is; Are all water pumps turn in the same direction ?

fairlaniac

Re: Water Pump Rotation

Post by fairlaniac »

The small block Ford water pumps on the 80's version of the 5.0 has reverse rotation to accommodate the serpentine belt system.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

fairlaniac wrote:The small block Ford water pumps on the 80's version of the 5.0 has reverse rotation to accommodate the serpentine belt system.
in 1984,my factory 5.0 mercury capri,,water pump did not turn in reverse and it had a serpentine belt..might have been the only year,,I found that out when I replaced the water pump.....I"ve had this old mercury close to 25 yrs,and I still have it !!pop
pop/glenda

Benny

Post by Benny »

Thank you Guys

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

question, if I put a early style water pump on an 85 302 that comes stock with a reverse rotation, and I run it without a serpentine, just use some v belts like the early models, will it work? I bought an early style water pump for my new engine build (85 5.0) and it bolts right up and everything but I just want to make sure its not going to mess anything up by not being reverse rotation.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Serpentine setups were available in standard or reverse. Easy to tell by looking at the pulley. Smooth pulley = reverse rotation, ribbed = standard.

Don't try to run a reverse rotation pump backwards, it won't work very well, if it will even bolt up, which I doubt it would. You need the timing cover to match your pump.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"