Need thoughts on selling 5 bolt block.

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
modelafish

Need thoughts on selling 5 bolt block.

Post by modelafish »

I'm not sure this is the right section, but here goes. And I'm putting this out on a couple of locations.
Need some input on selling engine. I bought my 64 primarily to put my ready to go 66 engine into. It came with a K code 289-4V with the 5 bolt bell housing. I'm trying to finance further improvements by selling extra parts. I see what the 5 bolt bell housings are going for, and it seems that 5 bolt blocks are hard to come by also. The PO said the engine ran, but had low oil pressure, so he shut it down. I don't know how long he ran it, but the shaft to the oil pump was twisted and broken, so it shouldn't have had any oil pressure at all. I pulled the pan, and one rod bearing cap, and it didn't look bad at all, but the main bearing had a lot of copper showing. Crank itself looked good. Everything turns smoothly. Bearings and pistons appear to be original. Would it be worth it to tear it down and go thru it to make it a running engine (which would obviously bring a higher price), or sell as-is and let the restorer do it the way that THEY want it done? I can do the assembly part, and would have to farm out the hot tanking, and any needed boring and crank turning. Of course boring ups the price after buying new pistons. And..... beyond the bell housing, does the original C4 have any real value to a restorer ?

SASSY

Re: Need thoughts on selling 5 bolt block.

Post by SASSY »

Id sell as is.
Once you take it apart it takes a pocket full to put it back together as I'm sure you know.
Ya the motor is a bit rare, but who wants it, most are doing what you are.
I had the same motor and 4 speed, sold it all with the 8 inch,, 1975!
Put in a '71 4bbl 351C, toploader, 9 inch.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

redhotcomet

Re: Need thoughts on selling 5 bolt block.

Post by redhotcomet »

I agree with Fred. I think it would be pretty tough to get your investment back. Best let someone who actually is looking for a 5-bolt block spend the money on it. Rare doesn't equal valuable.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"