Intermediate motor mount I.D.

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
modelafish

Intermediate motor mount I.D.

Post by modelafish »

IMG_2108.JPG
IMG_2108.JPG (38.05 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
So when I took the "old" 289 out, I separated the right and left setups, in case I used them again. When I discovered one of them was cracked, I ordered two new ones, and lost track of which intermediate mount went where. Putting the new mounts on, and of course, the intermediates have about 1/2" difference in the mounting bolt location. I don't see any part numbers to identify left vs right, so which one goes where ? In the picture, they're lined up vertically.

redhotcomet

Re: Intermediate motor mount I.D.

Post by redhotcomet »

If you clean them up you might find that they are marked L and R. Otherwise your guess is as good as mine!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

comethead

Post by comethead »

Man those early mounts can be a pain.
Take a look at this Dearborn ad
https://www.dearbornclassics.com/interm ... -1965.html
It shows the right side intermediate mount. Looks like the right side intermediate mount has the offset hole towards the rear.

I installed them wrong once and I had clearance issues with the shifter. The engine was sitting too far forward with the intermediate plates reversed.
Hope this helps.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

modelafish

Post by modelafish »

comethead wrote:Man those early mounts can be a pain.
Take a look at this Dearborn ad
https://www.dearbornclassics.com/interm ... -1965.html
It shows the right side intermediate mount. Looks like the right side intermediate mount has the offset hole towards the rear.

I installed them wrong once and I had clearance issues with the shifter. The engine was sitting too far forward with the intermediate plates reversed.
Hope this helps.

Joe
It the offset is toward the rear, that would place the engine slightly more forward. If I don't find any marking (and so far I haven't), I'll go that way, as it was a real PITA trying to get a bolt on the back of the head to pull the engine. I'm fairly sure the engine has been out before, and may not have gone back in correctly.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I looked at mine and the R.H. Side is mounted to the front of the rubber mount and the L.H.side is to the rear.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

modelafish

Post by modelafish »

A/FX wrote:I looked at mine and the R.H. Side is mounted to the front of the rubber mount and the L.H.side is to the rear.
Jim
THANKS !!