Door Open Light Location?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

Door Open Light Location?

Post by kevinshi »

Hey folks -

I managed to acquire one of below door open warning lights off ebay. It's design is identical to the E-brake warning light that was an option on the 65 Comet. That said I don't think this was actually a Comet option (I can't find it in the Master Parts Catalog anyway)... however I suspect it was an option on the Falcon (or perhaps only the Fairlane and/or Galaxie?).

Anyone have any idea where in the dash this was intended to be installed?

Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

MattDoscher

Re: Door Open Light Location?

Post by MattDoscher »

Kevin,

Although I haven't seen one installed, I would think a good location would be to the right of the steering column since the emergency brake one would most likely be installed to the left of the steering column. A neat find indeed. Have you installed it yet?

BTW, do you have a floor board courtesy light on your passenger side in your convertible? I also have a '65 convertible but no passenger side floor board courtesy light like on the drivers side.

thanks,
Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

I have not yet installed my door open (aka door ajar) light however I have learned a lot about it…

A version of this light was an option on some poriton of (at minimum) 1965-1966 Mercury, Fairlane, Lincoln, Thunderbird, Hardtop, Town Hardtop, Landau, Convertible, Galaxie, 500, XL, LTD (no Comets). I know this because I stumbled upon the mechanical switch used in the door latch to activate the light (see here). From there I was able to track down which cars had the switch as an option (or at least a lot of the cars that had it). (Unfortunately its probably super impractical to hack the switch into the Comet/Falcon door latches... and none of the other car's latches will work in the Comet... so I'm going to have to have my light switched by some other mechanism - most likely I will just put this on the door jamb plunger circuit, which is kind of lame but it covers 98% of the scenarios).

However I believe there was more than one bezel style for this light (so just because a car had the switch doesn't mean it had this exact light bezel). The light used on the 1965/6 Mercury was part C5AZ-13751-A and per the Master Parts Catalog was “Located on L. H. side on instrument panel for police cars only.” I believe that Mercury police car light was a different style than the one I have in my hand (I think it was more of a “button” rather than a “wedge”). My light is labeled as part C6OB-13751-A (printed on one of the wires) which indicates it was (at least) a 1966 Fairlane option. I don’t have a MPC for Fairlane so I can’t look it up to see if the installation location on the Fairlane happens to be illustrated. So I am still working on finding an illustration or picture, I may need to finally spring for the digital version of the full Ford car MPC.

Under dash courtesy lights: Others in this forum will know better… I would be surprised if your car came out of the factory with only one of those lights. The bracket/bezel is part COAZ-13763-A and can be sourced (such as here – however keep reading).

The wiring for these lights was part of the loop that is switched by the door jamb plunger (wring is assembly part C5AZ-13A709-A). The MPC does get goofy about that assembly… with a note “…improvise from No. 18 gauge wire… and (1) bullet terminal and (1) socket for instrument panel courtesy light.” IMHO that note could not possibly be referring to the under dash lights because the socket for the under dash bulbs is NOT the same as the sockets for the instrument panel (I am looking at my wiring harness right now and I can see there is a huge difference in size). That said I don't know what light it IS referring to... so I'm kinda stumped on what exactly that note means.

Unfortunately it does not appear that the socket assembly itself was considered a separate part from that wiring assembly… however I am nearly certain that this same socket and bezel was used on the 1964-1969 Mustang et. Al. which, of course, means it can be sourced. The socket alone is available (such as here) and the the bezel, socket assembly and wiring can be sourced as a kit by the same part number as the above only replacing the ending A with KIT: C0AZ-13763-KIT (such as here).
Last edited by kevinshi on Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
kevin

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I wasn’t able to view any of your links, they all seem to be invalid. So you have a passenger side under dash courtesy light in your convertible? Does the power on yours come from the passenger door light switch? It should also tie into the headlight switch to come on when you rotate the headlight switch all the way to the left, and tie in to the drivers door light switch to come on when the drivers door opens. I need to look more into this on mine. I’m beginning to discover the different wiring oddities related to the Comet, especially with 6 cyl. Good luck with your install!

Matt
5H25T582252

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Augh, I just edited that post to fix the links. Dumb typos...

"So you have a passenger side under dash courtesy light in your convertible? Does the power on yours come from the passenger door light switch?"
Yes.

"Does the power on yours come from the passenger door light switch? It should also tie into the headlight switch to come on when you rotate the headlight switch all the way to the left, and tie in to the drivers door light switch to come on when the drivers door opens."
Not entirely sure I understand your question. As you have described, both lights come on when either door is open or when the headlight switch is rotated (they act like a like a dome light...).

I bet a nickle yours has a wire tucked under the dash... the thing probably got ripped off and somebody just taped up the wire and tucked it under there.

BTW I am now noticing that the wiring diagram considers the second courtesy light a convertible only feature. I guess in theory your car was wired with a non-convertible courtesy light wiring assembly.
Thanks,
kevin

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Thanks Kevin!

Matt
5H25T582252

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

Here is the location of my Seat Belt light n my '66 Fairlane.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Super helpful (as I have one of those as well). That is NOT even remotely were I expected to see that light. I figured it would have been a bit further up the dash (perhaps level with the Ebrake warning light) and also near the middle of the dash so that the passenger would also see the reminder.

Huh. Many thanks!
Thanks,
kevin

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

FYI - here is a few wiring diagrams for '66 I have lumped into one PDF. Third page from end has wiring info on the SEAT BELT light. Not directly related to the "Door Open" topic but might be helpful to someone.
http://www.fairlanet.com/images/66fairlanewiring.pdf
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Many thanks. Super interesting auxiliary information.

You say "third page" - that seems to be the page with the picture of the car... which page are you referring to?

Thanks,
kevin
Thanks,
kevin

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

kevinshi wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:24 pm
Many thanks. Super interesting auxiliary information.

You say "third page" - that seems to be the page with the picture of the car... which page are you referring to?

Thanks,
kevin
I mentioned third page from end. Go to last page, third one back. At the time it was easier to say that than count the pages forward.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

fairlaniac wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 pm
I mentioned third page from end. Go to last page, third one back.
Oh my goodness I am so sorry for not reading your first message more carefully. Geesh. Bingo. Thanks for helping me overcome my incompetence.

Super helpful information!!!!
Thanks,
kevin

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

kevinshi wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:28 pm
fairlaniac wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:33 pm
I mentioned third page from end. Go to last page, third one back.
Oh my goodness I am so sorry for not reading your first message more carefully. Geesh. Bingo. Thanks for helping me overcome my incompetence.

Super helpful information!!!!
:-) no problem. Glad to help.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd