Finally building my 64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
smithhe

Re: Finally building my 64 Comet

Post by smithhe »

Well I am now installing a cool wiring harness and module to make the taillights sequential like a new mustang, and I am having trouble finding the turn signal switch under the dash, does anyone know where this might be?
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

comethead

Post by comethead »

The switch that activates the turn signals is in the steering column. Once you remove the steering wheel you’ll see it. The harness goes through the column and exits under the dash area on the left side of the column.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

comethead wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:30 pm
The switch that activates the turn signals is in the steering column. Once you remove the steering wheel you’ll see it. The harness goes through the column and exits under the dash area on the left side of the column.

Joe
Thank you very much joe! I would have spent all day searching under the dash fir that dang thing.

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well the next project for the car now that I have it running and driving and working flawlessly is to take the whole rear end out and put a nine inch in :lol: So with the new rear end im going to be putting wider tires in the rear and some new wheels all around, but I need your guys help deciding which wheel to go with. My first option is to get some new torque thrusts just like what I have now (but with a deep rear wheel obviously) and use those with the drag radials and skinnies in the front. I personally love this look, it’s what the car has now and I really don’t like torq thrust wheels on cars that much but for some reason they just work really well with the comets. My other option is to get some reproduction steel wheels and get some old hubcaps that go well with the car and paint the wheels white to match the car and look more “original” or sleeper-ish with the drag radials out back. I really like this idea because it will flow well with the whole reason I built the engine the way I did and put the interior back together how I did, to keep it original looking and un-assuming at the car shows. I was thinking with the Steelies maybe even throwing on some red line tire stickers to make them look like old redline tires, also the red would go good with the red interior. So now that I’m done with that tangent what do you guys think? I really can’t make my mind up either way so I could use some input from you guys.

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

For reference these are the two wheels I’m deciding between

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Smithhe, I'm in on the steelies but , I have a major dislike of full disc hubcaps, I'd be into a cool set of lugnuts and centercaps with the steelies.
I have bullet tip caps and lugnuts on my car and think they would work well with the steelies too.
Fred
Like in the small wheel
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JMO.TTD's, are my most favorite wheel...BUT.. they don't always suit the car,,,,sometimes depending on color and stance....in your case I vote for steelies with stock lug nuts {new with clear coat} and without any hub cap what so ever,,,with a new bright bearing cover on front spindle painted black and black rear drum,,,,,and steelies body color...pop.......
pop/glenda

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Nothing like TTD's. I have put them on every car I've owned except my Barracuda. It got 71 Mopar Rally wheels.
I look forward to the day that my car is far enough along that I can buy a set of TTD's for my Cyclone.
DR
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

'64-'65 Comet looks good in both but I think my '63 would look more 'correct' with the chrome steelies set up like Pop mentions.
Just have to pen up the yard dogs :roll: They wrecked my chrome when I was a young guy :!: :!: :!:
If my Mag 500s didn't have MercuryMan center caps, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Anyone looking for Mag 500s for a Cougar??? :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Steelies with baby moon hubcaps :D I always liked that look.
tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You can look at everyone's sig pic & see what they really like . :lol: TT's get my vote. I like the shorter caps. Cometheaded Joe said he felt like he was gonna trip over the stock caps on his TTO's :lol: So he was right after he told me that I got a set of the short aluminum caps for the front like his.
Johno

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Thank you guys for the replies, i think im going to go with the steel wheels only because i already have a set of TTD's on the car right now so if i ever get tired of the steel wheels then ill just throw the old ones back on. Now one thing i do need help with on the wheels is finding out what color white my car is. I know ford had Wimbledon white starting 64 but every time i look at a picture of a car painted in Wimbledon white it looks alot more cream colored than what my car is. Was there any other white colors offered in 64? According to my Grandfather my comet was never repainted but the previous owner could have been lying about that so who knows.

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

When I painted the hood if my daughters Bronco I took the fuel filler door to my PPG paint vendor and he scanned the door for the mix recipe. He mixed me up a quart of omni and I took the hood to bare metal, primer, color. After a week you could not see a difference in the color of the car.
----------DR---------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

It takes an incredible amount of effort by a skilled body and paint person to completely hide a repaint and a rookie painter to spot a repaint. Maybe ask around for opinions.
Hard to believe your 64 is in original paint though,,.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

smithhe wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:40 am
..............Was there any other white colors offered in 64? ........
Polar White

http://oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Me ... 22-23.html

Have you looked at the paint code on the car? If it hasn't been re-painted that would be a good starting point. And if it has been repainted there is a good chance they used the original color if it was white.

Since you are painting the wheels and not a body panel the color can be a little off. You have the tire and distance between the wheel and the body vs painting a door that is right next to the qtr and fender.

For some people painting the wheels a contrast color say red, black or a color matching interior color works.

I would start with looking at what the paint code on car says if you want to paint wheels to match car color, assuming the car was originally white.