Finally building my 64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
smithhe

Re: Finally building my 64 Comet

Post by smithhe »

Well another update on the rear end, got the center section all put together and installed in the housing temporarily, also for the axles back from quick performance and man are they stout! Got the bearings pressed on last night and got them temporarily installed in the housing as well. Next step is to get it under the car and start moving those leaf springs inboard, again if anyone has used the frites leaf spring relocation kit and can take some measurements for me under their car would be a huge help. Gonna try to make it on my own and save a few bucks.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

some good pics in this build thread ,he used the crites kit,may pick up some useful info too.
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... t&start=60
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

For some reason I have never been too fond of an offset shackle, they look like they could break at any moment. I moved my springs in using mounts of my own design. The springs themselves I had custom made but they are the same width and length as the stock units. I also incorporated traction bars that swing the same arc as the housing so there is no bind as the suspension goes through its movement. I now have almost 3,000 miles on the build, the rear suspension works perfectly, the car rides well and there is no binding or spring wrap.
Jim
Picture taken during fabrication:
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:05 pm
here's one home built;
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... =13&t=7037
thank you poboy, I think that will definitely help. I want to get started on it as soon as possible but it may be a little while until i start posting progress on it, me and the old lady are moving from maryland to south carolina pretty soon and i dont know if ill have time to finish this rear end project before we move sadly. And when we move the new house wont have a garage until i build one so it may be a few months without my car.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey Smithe....where you moving to in SC? I'm in Lexington, just outside Columbia.

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:29 pm
Hey Smithe....where you moving to in SC? I'm in Lexington, just outside Columbia.

Jim
sounds like the PF gathering just might get a newbie....pop
pop/glenda

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:29 pm

Jim
Yes! We are moving to Spartanburg.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Well....you'll be about an hour and a half up I-26 from me, and an hour and a half closer to PF. See you there next June.

Jim

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well just an update of my life, wasn’t able to finish the rear end swap before moving so the car is tucked away in the garage under a cover at my dads house in VA, doesn’t look like I’ll be able to bring it down to SC for a while, house is needing stuff fixed and a garage being built is going further and further down the list of importance :lol: but I will just have to keep reading y’all’s posts to get my comet fix in haha.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You can get a big injection at PF the first weekend in June. You don't need a Comet to come and meet the crowd and swap stories. Besides, you'll need a break by then. :D

Jim

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Update on this thread I started a few years ago on the build of my car, had some big changes in life and ended up getting a new house with a garage and I just recently got my car brought down here and I finally have her with me. After not having this car for well over a year it’s very nice having it here and ripping it around again. I’m gonna start posting more updates on the building process so hopefully you guys will be interested. Next step is going to be getting some Calvert racing splitmono leafs and a leaf spring relocation kit to get the new 9inch under it.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Great, looking forward to some updates!
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Smithhe, happy for ya got your toy back in the sand box!
Certainly look forward to your input and pics.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea glad you're back at it! :D
Johno