Finally building my 64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: Finally building my 64 Comet

Post by popscomet »

POP goes to PF to shake hands,,,,I try to make a new friend everytime I go anywhere,,,seeing a comet is great,,,but it's about that hand shake to me..... POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

smithhe wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 am
just ordered a full rebuild for the front suspension
What kind of susp are you going with?
Johno

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

lavron wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:13 am

Sometime if you could make it I would love to see it at Pigeon Forge, We sedan guys are underrepresented there :P TNtrash sold his '64 sedan so I have to get mine there this year so we will have at least one :lol: Plus I like seeing all the Comets in person and especially the drivers, that is the best part, you discover the fellows are just as nice in person as on the forum, maybe nicer :lol:

I love your Comet, nice work!

See Ya,
Mike
I would love to go to the show at Pigeon Forge, what are the dates for that? If I can get off then I will definitely pack the comet up on the trailer and head there! It would be awesome to meet everyone and see all the cars in person.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:06 pm
smithhe wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 am
just ordered a full rebuild for the front suspension
What kind of susp are you going with?
I've been looking at different suspension ideas for this car for years so I have put alot of thought into what I wanted and what I wanted to spend. I have pieced together what should be a pretty good setup for the street and up the performance of it substantially. I ordered blueprint control arms and performance coil springs from opentracker, some regular name brand shocks from summit, got the shelby drop template so i can do that while i have everything apart, new strutrods with poly bushings, and roller spring saddles to help free up the suspension.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

This is going to be a really fun car! :P
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

smithhe wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:21 pm
I would love to go to the show at Pigeon Forge, what are the dates for that?
It is always the first weekend in June, so this year it is June 4-6, most guys show up some time Thursday or Friday and head back home on Sunday morning. it is pretty loose and not formal at all, mostly we sit around swapping stories and looking at everyone's Comets that brought them, there is usually some interaction with the public because the Mountain Breeze is located right on the main drag in Pigeon Forge, there have been a few times that somebodies car gets a little maintenance right in the parking lot with everyone lending a hand and advice :P occasionally there will be a little prearranged part swapping and selling because it is the one time that Comet guys can be in the same location and feel more comfortable delivering those bulky or delicate parts to other members, you can never really tell what may happen but one thing is for sure most (all) have a good time.

For those interested in making room reservations you can call the Mountain Breeze Motel at 1-865-453-2659, tell them you are coming for the Comet Gathering, won't get you a discount probably but I always tell them, I know in years past they have filled up and folks had to stay across the street which is not where the cool guys stay, they tend to always give me the presidential suite if I can beat Pops to it, it might not be a 4-star hotel but the folks that run it are super nice, when I called today and told them I was with the Comet group and my name she said "You have been here before" (not a question but a statement, she may have been looking on the computer at the time :roll: ) I know they don't treat any other group as nice as they do us :roll: I am not sure about the rooms I spend most of my time outside under the tent with the Comet folks and cars (I don't get out very often) it is a good idea to bring a lawn chair or two eventhough if you go away for a minute and come back someone will be sitting in yours (that is why two are a good idea :P )

It is a 650 mile trip for me but well worth it, I basically drive two days (coming and going) I know others have come farther and you don't have to bring a Comet but it is nice if you can, it will be a first for me this year to finally get mine there, I wish I was far enough along to drive it but the trailer will have to do this time :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Does anyone have experience doing the Shelby drop on the comet? I have the metal template needed but I do not know if the new offset holes are supposed to be offset towards the front of the car or towards the rear of the car.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

to the rear.

& it really isnt going back any,if you look at the angle of the tower & holes it basically makes the holes drop straight down

To the front would give way too much neg caster. you want all the positive caster you can get. does the UCA's you bought have any built in +caster? some aftermarket UCA's come with about 3° + caster built in.

some have arrows to help
Johno

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well me and my buddy got the front suspension all done in one day! The suspension wasn’t too hard to get off but MAN were those ball joints stuck. Had to go buy a ball joint press but once we got that they came out easy. Got all the bee stuff mounted up, gonna have to take a couple shims out of the upper control arms but other than that she’s looking good! It’s hard to tell in the photo but she’s definitely lower than the stock suspension was, it even leans a little forward now! Might have to cut a coil out of the spring once I buy new leaf springs for the rear but hopefully the front settles nicely. Also got some stickers for the engine to make it look more “original”, got the 289 sticker for the air cleaner and the oil sticker for the breather cap. Hopefully these will help me truck more people at car shows lol.

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Nice-I read through the entire thread and enjoyed it very much. The 347 stroker sounds bad-ass! Interesting choice of suspension as well. I just ordered all my front and rear suspension from Opentracker. Nice car, I'll keep following it.
----DR-----------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

i have a question, if im running size 2/0 battery cables, and a 4 gauge alternator wire, do i need a size 2/0 ground strap or a 4 gauge? i have a 4 gauge ground strap that im about to install but if i need a bigger one then ill order it, id rather not wait on another part in the mail though to be honest.

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Your #4 will be fine.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well I thought this was really cool, I was laying in the trunk of the comet trying to get the top of the shocks unbolted because I bought some new ones and I found this tag hanging on the backside of my rear seat, on the back it has a date of Sep 6 1963. I love history like this I’m glad I still have all the original documentation for this car and this will be added to the box of original things from this car.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Great find!
Pretty rare to come across the neat stuff like that.
You have a cool build, a driver, but more, simple looking but
a person just knows there's more to it. Cars like yours remind md of the getaway sedan in Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

I have a question if anyone out there knows, when using the crites leaf spring relocation kit are the stock shock locations on the underneath of the body still usable? i know theyre at an angle so i didnt know if moving the bottom point would effect how they mount up top.