Finally building my 64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Finally building my 64 Comet

Post by A/FX »

smithhe wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:11 pm
I have a question if anyone out there knows, when using the crites leaf spring relocation kit are the stock shock locations on the underneath of the body still usable? i know theyre at an angle so i didnt know if moving the bottom point would effect how they mount up top.
Not sure about the Crites kit but when I built the mounts and moved my springs in 2 1/2” on each side I used the stock upper mounting location. I fabricated new leaf spring pads that kept the shocks in the stock location and angle even though the springs themselves were moved. I used Montego/Torino shocks.
Here is a photo of one of the mounts during mock up:
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Little update for this thread, been a while since I’ve worked on the car because of work/going on vacations lol, but here are a few pictures and updates for you guys. Got the carpet in and the interior buttoned up minus the door panels (still have to get those redone), got the car fired up again and set timing and assessed the many leaks I found in the fuel system and the trans cooler lines lol. But today I got all the leaks fixed, dropped her on the ground and drove her out of the garage under her own power for the first time in over a year! Oh and I also got the exhaust finished up, wasn’t a very good job due to my crappy welder and having to build the entire exhaust system while on my back under the car on jackstands lol. Also had to use 2.5inch for the first 6 inches because it wouldn’t clear the trans crossmember, but it sounds killer! And that’s all that matters :lol: gonna drive her around the neighborhood a few times and check everything and make sure she’s road worthy and then I’m gonna bring her to her first car show Thursday night! I am very excited to say the least.

1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Looks great man!! One day you will look back and say " man! I used go be able to do that laying on my back!"
Enjoy
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Yeah it definitely wasn’t the best for my young back 😂 but I driver her down the neighborhood a few times and she runs great!

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

smithhe wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:17 pm
Yeah it definitely wasn’t the best for my young back 😂
One word- Motrin :lol: Been taking it for last two days to get over working under the dash. Really feels good when the job is done with good results.
Really nice job! Car show fever, haven't caught that yet but sounds like a high time. Have fun. :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe, check his profile he's got a good 30 ta 40 years crawlin around under the car!!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:33 pm
Joe, check his profile he's got a good 30 ta 40 years crawlin around under the car!!!
Why I got back into business, Fred. Makes me feel young again *cough**cough* :shock: :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well after driving the car to the gas station and back I figured she was good enough to take to the local cars and coffee yesterday and drove the hour round trip and she did amazing! No problems whatsoever and cruised amazing, also got to take the lady with me and she loved the ride, especially the burnouts. :lol:
Imagehost image

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Too COOL!!!
Enjoy
Fred

comethead

Post by comethead »

Awesome!!! Car looks great!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

thank you guys very much, i couldnt be happier with the car and im excited to keep upgrading it along the way. But first i think it needs to be lower :D . Also does anyone know where I could find some headlight upgrades for this car? id like to get some brighter lights on it.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SHE looks good,,,comet ain't bad either.....pop :wink: :wink:
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

smithhe wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 am
got to take the lady with me and she loved the ride, especially the burnouts. :lol:
That's a blessing there, buddy. :wink: My wife would kill me if I did a burnout with her in the seat :roll:
We have a local C&C on Saturday afternoons just 5 minutes from the house but that's the time of week I can't make it. :(
I'm hoping that eventually changes.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Car looks great! 8) Bet she was a hit at C&C. Check out Joe's thread on headlights, unfolding as we speak.
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =9&t=16561

Jim

Samppafin

Post by Samppafin »

Car looks great!
Mercury Comet Caliente 289 V8 - 1964