Finally building my 64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
SASSY

Re: Finally building my 64 Comet

Post by SASSY »

Dont have the measurement but like your attitude!!
Bet if you start you'll figure it out.
Maybe find a couple pics someplace.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:11 am
Fred
Thanks Fred! and thats what ill probably end up doing, once i get the new rear end finished then ill start the cutting and measuring. the shackles will be the easy part, just have to get the measurements right on the part that cuts into the frame on the front mount.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

smithhe wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:33 am
SASSY wrote:
Fred
Thanks Fred! and thats what ill probably end up doing, once i get the new rear end finished then ill start the cutting and measuring. the shackles will be the easy part, just have to get the measurements right on the part that cuts into the frame on the front mount.
Of you study some of the photos in my build album it might help you with designing yours.
I moved the springs inboard the width of the spring. (2 1/2”) The springs were custom made on mine to achieve the ride height I wanted but you could use a stock Comet spring.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kabinenro ... 464305953/
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

A/FX wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:52 am
smithhe wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:33 am
SASSY wrote:
Fred
Of you study some of the photos in my build album it might help you with designing yours.
I moved the springs inboard the width of the spring. (2 1/2”) The springs were custom made on mine to achieve the ride height I wanted but you could use a stock Comet spring.
i will have to give those another look and see if those will help, i am planning on using calvert racing springs

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

just an update for the thread, got a 9 inch out of a 70ish ford pickup and stripped it all down, put new gears and a spool in it and i sent the housing to a buddy of mine down the street to get shortened so I can fit the 275/60r15 drag radials i bought. Ill post some update pictures when i get the housing back and get it mocked up in the car.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'll be surprised if you get those tires under the car without some surgery. What size rim?
Gonna look killer though! Especially if you can maintain ride height!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Spool? you probably wont be happy with that if you plan to drive it on the street much. A limited slip trac lok would be more friendly.
& I agree with Fred,might take some work to make them wide tires fit but it will be worth it ! :D
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

smithhe wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:22 pm
just an update for the thread, got a 9 inch out of a 70ish ford pickup and stripped it all down, put new gears and a spool in it and i sent the housing to a buddy of mine down the street to get shortened so I can fit the 275/60r15 drag radials i bought. Ill post some update pictures when i get the housing back and get it mocked up in the car.
Did you mock up the tires in the opening, set the car at ride height then measure for the housing width? Even if you could fit them using an offset wheel you might find that the shape of the wheel well opening will cause issues.I have 275/60/15’s under my Cyclone, in order to make them fit and have clearance for the ride height I wanted I moved the centerline of the rear axle rearward 2” and used a wheel with an offset. I also moved the leaf springs 2 1/2” in on each side, and built new inner wheel housings. The factory housing curves in to much at the top which makes fitting a wide tire difficult, unless you want your car to sit very high in the rear. With a 15” wheel the top of my wheel is just above the wheel opening in the center of the opening, so my car sits fairly low. It will be interesting to see how your combination of tire/ wheel/ and housing width work out.
It may help you understand what I did by looking through my build album.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

The tires are on a seven inch wide wheel, I did stuff them in the wheel wells to measure for the rear end, I’m moving the springs inboard and then I’m going to roll the inside of the outer fender for some more room, if that isn’t enough then I’ll widen them but I am not worried too much about that. And as far as choosing a spool I have many buddies who drive spools on the street all the time and they don’t mind it, and the cost difference of $600 for a posi and $100 for a spool made me choose the spool, and truthfully if I hate it that much then I’ll just pony up and buy the posi.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

smithhe wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:46 am
And as far as choosing a spool I have many buddies who drive spools on the street all the time and they don’t mind it, and the cost difference of $600 for a posi and $100 for a spool made me choose the spool, and truthfully if I hate it that much then I’ll just pony up and buy the posi.
Makes your rear tires chirp like nest full of birds in a sharp turn.
I like birds.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well got the rear ended all shortened up and just ordered the axles today, 48 inches wide in total, now time to get working on moving those leaf springs inboard.

image host

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cool housing ends! Where did they come from?
Fred

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I like those ends! I was going to use a housing like that with the area between tubes & center is beefier but the taper came out so far on the tube it was going to interfere with one of the ubolts on the short side, was going to have to use a bigger ubolt to go over the larger area then bend it to go in the shock plate.didnt want all that so I used a housing that I call a lolipop housing which is not as strong as one like yours but has more tube showing closer to the center. I moved my leafs in 5'' on each side is the reason I had interference.

A tip from comethead Joe; the rustoleum rusty metal primer is the closest match to stock color for the center section .most of the other stuff is too red.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:26 pm
Yea I like those ends! I was going to use a housing like that with the area between tubes & center is beefier but the taper came out so far on the tube it was going to interfere with one of the ubolts on the short side, was going to have to use a bigger ubolt to go over the larger area then bend it to go in the shock plate.didnt want all that so I used a housing that I call a lolipop housing which is not as strong as one like yours but has more tube showing closer to the center. I moved my leafs in 5'' on each side is the reason I had interference.
Here be a 9" question for you guys-
What would be the shock plate of choice to use the big diameter tubing, considering U-bolt width, shock type and alignment?
Considering you aren't shooting for vertical drag 4-link route with fabbed mounts.
I'm thinking BB Mustang but it's been too long ago. Last 9" swap I made was '66 Fairlane GT into '68 Mustang. Had to move the spring perches, think I re-used the Mustang plate and U-bolts but not sure. Fit like a glove.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Thank you guys, I’m really happy with how the rear end came out and I’m excited to see it nice and shiny under the car. The housing ends I bought are from Quick Performance, they are the best company to deal with when it comes to rear ends, I can’t say enough good things about them. Prices are lower than almost anything I can find and the quality of their parts is second to none. Every time I had a question about something I just gave them a ring and they were more than happy to help.