Finally building my 64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
smithhe

Re: Finally building my 64 Comet

Post by smithhe »

Well I finally got around to doing something to the car and I’m absolutely in love with it. I’ve spent a ton of money modifying this car performance wise and this is the first thing I’ve done cosmetic wise and I’m so happy with it. Needs to be a little lower in the front in my opinion.
Wheels are vintage wheel works 16x8’s all around with 245’s in the rear and 235’s in the front. Had to run a 1/4 inch spacer in the front to keep it from rubbing the upper control arm. Still trying to find some center caps for them.

1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Your Comet is looking good. Great choice on the wheels, Vintage makes some quality stuff. I had a similar wheel on my ‘71 Comet GT, Minilite’s, I still have a set of them in my stash.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Interesting choice of wheels for a Comet.
Gives it the Euro rally look 👍

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks great ! :D but yea an inch or 2 lower in front would look better ! :)
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 5:57 pm
Looks great ! :D but yea an inch or 2 lower in front would look better ! :)
I have to agree with that.👍
( mine would be lower but my header collector flanges are just 3 3/4” from the pavement now)
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Your comet looks great, drop the front a bit and it will be about perfect.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks Great! 8)

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:00 pm
Your comet looks great, drop the front a bit and it will be about perfect.
X2
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well this past weekend me and a buddy took the front suspension apart and cut half a coil out of the front springs and I think it was just the right amount, could come down maybe another half inch but I’m fine with where it’s at. Now just have to decide whether to get the stock height Calvert racing split monos or the -1” height ones.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I think that stance looks great. 8)

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

smithhe wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:40 pm
Now just have to decide whether to get the stock height Calvert racing split monos or the -1” height ones.
Looks great! :D
I'm not certain but I have heard a guy on here say the stock height was too high. it was a guy user name ant???, think it was short for anthony with a number on it like Ant389 or something. he sent the rear halves back & got the -1'' lower ones . I think I got the +1'' ones because i was concerned about these big tires rubbing. also I knew I was going to use 1/2'' lowering blocks as a way to move the axle back by moving the centering pin back so if I needed for the car to sit lower I could just make those blocks thicker. But they have pretty good customer service ,Not sure but they may swap for no charge if you aren't satisfied. they did for me because they sent the wrong ones first go around. but no shipping charges on the swap.
Johno

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Wanted to hop back on the thread here for some help, been enjoying the car when I can between work and life getting in the way. Went to take it to a cruise-in the other night and the starter bolts stripped out on the trans and the starter was dangling under the car, this is the second time this has happened. First time it happened I drilled and tapped for a bigger bolt and locktite the bolts, why has this happened twice?? I guess the next step would be a heli-coil. Thoughts??

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Maybe you have the wrong starter . possibly you have the long nose cone & need the short one ? think it was groover put the wrong one on ,maybe he'll have some input. I think ones for an auto & one for a manual trans. but yea I think something is not right.
Johno

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:54 am
Maybe you have the wrong starter . possibly you have the long nose cone & need the short one ? think it was groover put the wrong one on ,maybe he'll have some input. I think ones for an auto & one for a manual trans. but yea I think something is not right.
When it’s all put together it fits like a glove and turns the engine over super easy without any grinding or anything so I would assume it’s the right style starter. But I could be wrong haha

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

smithhe wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:36 pm
Went to take it to a cruise-in the other night and the starter bolts stripped out on the trans and the starter was dangling under the car, this is the second time this has happened. First time it happened I drilled and tapped for a bigger bolt and locktite the bolts, why has this happened twice??
Strange deal. Maybe a hairline crack in the bellhousing where the starter mounts?
It would take severe vibration to bust Loctite loose.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi