Finally building my 64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
smithhe

Re: Finally building my 64 Comet

Post by smithhe »

Well I fixed the problem! Chopped the bar right down the middle to see how much it needed to be shortened and turns out they put the mounts on at the wrong angle! Was never going to work even if I got it to fit, so I tig welded it back together and then chopped the mounts off each end and ground down each side of the tube until it fit nice and snug and tigged it back into place, fits like a glove! If I’m being honest I think these welds are going to hold up a LOT better than the booger welds that came on it when I purchased it :wink: only the best for the comet!

1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well another update for you guys on the car, got some adjustable motor mounts in and they made installation of the engine much easier, also they are BEEFY, a lot stronger than the stock mounts. But I finally got the engine mounted in the car and the engine bay painted, now I just have to run fuel lines set up the cooling system and various things like that, shouldn’t be much longer!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

great news !!! gonna be a keeper for sure,,,,,,best of luck...…..pop
pop/glenda

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

I have a question for you guys who have done an engine and trans swap in these old comets before, the old transmission mount was kind of an arm off of the trans that bolted to the transmission mount with one bolt, if im not making sense I can post a picture of it. But my new C4 trans I am putting in has a larger polyurethane bushing with two bolt holes that is closer to the trans pan by a couple inches. Are there any companies out there that make a trans mount that compensates for this change in mounting position or am I just gonna have to build my own mount??? If any of you have had this problem I would love to hear what you guys did. Thank you!

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Another update on the comet, finally getting some parts in that have been taking a little longer than usual to ship. Got the new 750 carb on the engine and started mocking up the fuel system (you can see the fuel pressure regulator on the firewall. Also got the shifter mounted and cable ran, love the shifter stand from summit it’s an awesome piece. Also got the battery box installed in the trunk and took the old sway bar off to compare to the new 1 1/8th inch sway bar and wow what a difference in size. Did all of this in one day so hopefully I can keep this momentum and finish this dang thing finished soon!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

smithhe wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 pm
took the old sway bar off to compare to the new 1 1/8th inch sway bar and wow what a difference in size.
Cool progress, I have had a 7/8" swaybar on my Comet so long I had forgotten how small the original was :roll:

Seems like I am always waiting on something, if I had enough prior planning things would arrive as I needed them but sometimes (almost always) I play it by ear :P

Sorry I couldn't be any help on the trans mount I just build my own stuff usually :roll: maybe one day I will do a build that I can get pre-made parts for :P

Keep us updated you are doing a bang-up job, IMO.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I don't know how much,if any track time you plan on doing but you could have a problem with the fuel regulator location.Mine was similar to yours,mounted on the firewall,and got sent home by the tech inspectors.They didn't check a whole lot else but that was a no go. NHRA rules says that the fuel line at the flywheel,bell housing area must run outside the frame rails till it gets forward of that area.I got a regulator bracket that bolted to the carb studs and ran my fuel line through the fender apron ,up to the front of the motor and back to the reg with 2 braided lines to the carb.A lot of messing around but it might save you some grief in the future.

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well I’ve been crackin down on the comet the last two days and I’ve been getting a lot done, for the 67-69 mustang big block radiator from champion installed. Trimmed the core support and it fits great! With the upgraded twin fans there’s about a quarter inch between the water pump pulley and the fans :lol: also got the trans cooler installed and I finally got the dougs headers installed, I fought with these headers for about three days in total but after pulling the engine almost all the way out of the car I got them slid in and they fit PERFECT, I don’t think they could be a tighter fit. And I’m almost done installing the disc brake swap kit from CSRP, just have to finish plumbing the new master cylinder! I can’t wait to hear this thing fire up soon.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You're knockin it out ! good job , all looks great! That'll be a nice little hotrod when you're done! :D keep after it!! :)
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Awesome work, it all looks super! Exciting times for you I am sure.

I want to start mine so bad but seem to keep finding ways to avoid it :roll: Not sure why I procrastinate sometimes, or maybe it is because I have so much to do I am never without a project :P

Love the progress.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Another update with photos for everyone on the process, got the fuel system completed after getting my final fuel filter 3 months after I ordered it from summit :evil: . Got the throttle return spring bracket on, and ordered these sweet radiator hoses off summit. They’re multi layered and fit perfect after I trimmed them up some, and got the brake lines all made and ran, looks like a cobbled mess but it should work! Got the transmission mount dilemma fixed as well and just fabricated a mount that used the original mounting holes on the body. Basically everything on the car is done mechanical wise now I just have to start electrical work which is my least favorite kind of work, which is also why I’ve been putting it off. Only have to run wires for battery, alternator, starter, Distributor, and the new switch panel so it hopefully won’t be too much wiring.

lightshot

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well I haven’t gotten many pictures lately of the progress but I’ve been getting little by little done on the car. I got the alternator mounting figured out and made some spacers out of aluminum for the mounting brackets and fully installed the new powermaster alternator. I also just finished the “brain” for the comet if you will :lol: got the relays all hooked up to some fuses and all the wires ran through connectors for easy fixes down the line if anything happens. Also mounted the MSD unit on there and got the power wires ran to the two junction blacks I’m going to connect to the battery. Should be done pretty soon! Image

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

smithhe wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:38 pm
I also just finished the “brain” for the comet if you will got the relays all hooked up to some fuses and all the wires ran through connectors for easy fixes down the line if anything happens. Also mounted the MSD unit on there and got the power wires ran to the two junction blacks I’m going to connect to the battery. Should be done pretty soon!
Neat, I like it! If I wasn't such a miser I would have a 6AL but I guess I will stick with the cheap dark side Flux Capacitor that I can pick up at any parts store for now but if it keeps burning out every month without even driving the car I will probably switch it out, I just got a DUI module that has a really high rating on Summit and I am going to put it in tomorrow and keep the current one as a spare, I may have to get 5 or 10 more spares :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

lavron wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:18 pm
smithhe wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:38 pm
I also just finished the “brain” for the comet if you will got the relays all hooked up to some fuses and all the wires ran through connectors for easy fixes down the line if anything happens. Also mounted the MSD unit on there and got the power wires ran to the two junction blacks I’m going to connect to the battery. Should be done pretty soon!
Neat, I like it! If I wasn't such a miser I would have a 6AL but I guess I will stick with the cheap dark side Flux Capacitor that I can pick up at any parts store for now but if it keeps burning out every month without even driving the car I will probably switch it out, I just got a DUI module that has a really high rating on Summit and I am going to put it in tomorrow and keep the current one as a spare, I may have to get 5 or 10 more spares :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
when I was shopping for all the parts to the car I did contemplate getting a cheaper one or the summit brand but ive had so many friends have good luck with the MSD unit that I just bit the bullet and went with it. I also like the fact it has the built in rev limiter so I don't blow up my brand new engine :lol: :lol:

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! Only things left is to connect the new 2/0 battery cables I just finished , mount and wire the switch panel, and fill up all the fluids! I will try to get a video of the first startup to put on here.