Fatman front strut conversion

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
schmudlk

Fatman front strut conversion

Post by schmudlk »

Has any one installed the FatMan front end conversion in their comet or falcon. I have a 95 cobra mustang doner in the barn.I have never seen one of these done in person. I see a lot of mustang 2 set ups available but I wonder about chassis strength with shock towers removed.
Steve

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Fatman front strut conversion

Post by A/FX »

No experience with the Fat Man suspension but I think the size of the cross member would pose clearance issues with exhaust among other components. If you remove the shock towers and replace them with the proper gauge material and install it correctly you should not have a strength issue. I personally went with the Gateway Performance Suspension system on my Cyclone. The main factor for me was that I could use the factory lower control arms, strut rods, and the ‘65 style steering.( I wanted more of a stock look under the car)
I could not use anything that had a center crossmember because of header clearance with the Boss engine. The shock towers are only for the top mount of the strut so I was able to pie cut them to gain engine clearance. I did not need it but it is nice to have extra room to pull the plugs or install the headers.
Here are a few photos:
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”