65 Washer Pump Activated Wipers: Correct Behavior?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

65 Washer Pump Activated Wipers: Correct Behavior?

Post by kevinshi »

Hey Folks -

What is the correct behavior for the wipers when activated by the washer foot pedal pump?

I am presently bench testing the wiper system off my 65 Caliente. I have everything connected up with the exception of the intermittent governor (which, I guess, could, theoretically, be part of my issue). Also I have grounded the pedal assembly itself.

All three modes all seem to work: Off is off, on is on, and intermittent does nothing (which is expected since, as said, the governor is currently disconnected).

However the washer pump pedal seems to misbehave: While the switch is OFF, if I press the pump pedal the wipers come on (yea!), however they fail to stop on their own. I have let them run for quite some time and they never to turn off. I have to turn the switch on then off to get them to stop.

This is contrary to my expectation. I was expecting that there would be a timed relay inside the pump that would automatically cut off after some amount of time.

So... does anyone know how this is suppose to operate? Am I correct that the wipers should turn off on their own (assuming the switch remains in the off position)? If so for how long (approximately) sound the wipers run on their own before turning off?
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

poboyjo65

Re: 65 Washer Pump Activated Wipers: Correct Behavior?

Post by poboyjo65 »

on my 65 caliente ,when you push the pedal it swipes about twice then stops. the pump itself is just that rubber bulb that squirts a bulb full per pump,so the pump doesn't do anything but pump. but the switch on the pump pedal is called a washer coordinator on this diagram,you might double check wiring;
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

for what it's worth,on my 64 when you press the foot padal,even switched off,as long as key is on they wipe twice and stop in the correct position.....it does not have intermit ...I use the foot pedal for that system as needed...thank you POP
pop/glenda

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

OK yet again I demonstrate how I am an idiot.

I had forgotten that the middle position on the switch is OFF (I was thinking it was the left position... and rather than off that is intermittent).

Sigh. Back to normal programming...
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)