1965 caliente

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
frankstein65

1965 caliente

Post by frankstein65 »

I removed this pump from my 65 with a/c due to leaks and I could not see where it was coming from because of the a/c compressor. Can anyone please identify this pump for me so I can buy the right hoses. The tag on the back of the pump reads FDA AD 10 W 74. thanks. I apologize for the size of the pics but I'm still learning.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (138.55 KiB) Viewed 1619 times

vicegrip

Re: 1965 caliente

Post by vicegrip »

That would be a Thompson-TRW pump.Reseal kits are available many places and are fairly easy to install if the front bushing is still good.The bushing is somewhat tougher without the correct tools.I would think the hoses from a later 60's,early 70's small block Mustang would work. You will need a pulley puller to reseal if you're going that direction. Oreillys in my area has one to borrow on deposit.

frankstein65

Post by frankstein65 »

thanks vicegrip....when you rebuild a pump is it just seals replacement??? I bought a new saginaw pump but can't get it to fit right under the a/c compressor. So I thought I would fix the old one. Where does it leak from? I can't tell by looking at the pump. I know the HP line was rotted close to the fitting behind the pump.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

The reseal kit without the bushing is Edelmann 8501.They usually leak around the front seal,reservoir to pump body O ring,pressure port to reservoir seals.Be careful to put the pieces back EXACTLY as they came out. The Saginaw pump is the real deal but I don't think there is any OEM brackets for a small block.There is aftermarket stuff available but they will probably interfere with the ac compressor like you mentioned.There is a seal kit with the bushing that I get from Advance but I can't remember the number at the moment. And yeah...it's just seal replacement.If the hard parts are worn out,it's now a core.

frankstein65

Post by frankstein65 »

thanks....that helps me. I've got the reservoir off and I'm hoping just to reseal everything.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lots of info on this page;
http://www.stangerssite.com/CanIFordPump.html

That is just one of the links from this site,which has more info on pumps about 3/4 the way down. & other stuff such as the sectors;
http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringsysteminfo.html
Johno