CYCLONE to CALIENTE Rear Molding Conversion (was: Dimensions of CYCLONE & GT Inserts?)

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

CYCLONE to CALIENTE Rear Molding Conversion (was: Dimensions of CYCLONE & GT Inserts?)

Post by kevinshi »

Hey folks -

Would someone kindly measure the dimensions on these two inserts and let me know their size (height and width)? I am interested in the size of the inserts only, not the bezel in which they are affixed.

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by kevinshi on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

poboyjo65

Re: Dimensions of CYCLONE & GT Inserts?

Post by poboyjo65 »

Those look like 66-67.That'd be one for lipripper . How about a caliente insert ? :D

Johno

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Caliente insert?!? That thing looks sweet. Is that custom? Where did you locate on the car?
Thanks,
kevin

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It was a cyclone tailpanel emblem. I had a throphy/sign shop make it.

here is a before shot;
Johno

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

That is sweet!

OK so now I will show my Cyclone ignorance... I have never seen that tailpipe emblem before. On which car(s) did that appear? And is it something that gets added to the rear molding or was it a different molding piece altogether? (Any chance you have a part number on it?)
Thanks,
kevin

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

kevinshi wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:40 am
That is sweet!

OK so now I will show my Cyclone ignorance... I have never seen that tailpipe emblem before. On which car(s) did that appear? And is it something that gets added to the rear molding or was it a different molding piece altogether? (Any chance you have a part number on it?)
It was riveted on 65 cyclones at the factory.same tail panel otherwise. I got the tail panel set from ebay at a good price for comet parts. the guy had drilled out the rivets to de ionize the panels & polish them & then he drilled & tapped for small screws to re attach the emblem. Not wanting three holes in my panel I left the emblem on it but added the insert later.

I thought you had a 65 so I'm curious what you have in mind for the later inserts,or at least one of them is later,GT didn't come out until after 65
Johno

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

I want the same! ;-). So am I looking on ebay for a Cyclone insert or tail molding (or both)? That insert hasn't been reproduced has it?

(The reason I am asking about the size of the CYCLONE/GT insert is kind of random - I have a bezel that might be the correct size for one of those CYCLONE/GT inserts... which would mean I could hypothetically convert my worthless bezel into something with a bit of value).
Thanks,
kevin

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Ah, I found it. The part number is C5GY-63403A76. Looks like it may be source-able as a reproduction part (not cheap!).

If I can get my hands on one of these (a) any chance you can hook me up with your printer to get a duplicate of your Caliente and (b) can I reasonably add the insert to my plane tail piece?
Thanks,
kevin

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

at one time I think they were reproduced,but it must have been quite a while ago. used ones pop up on ebay now & then but most of the time they're expensive, & usually have to get the whole set of tail panels to get it,but sometimes it will only be the right side section with emblem.

The guy who made my caliente inserts moved his shop to a bigger town about an hour away ,but it looks like he still has the same name on FB;
https://www.facebook.com/onestopsigns211/
The first one actually looked more like the original cyclone font but then I decided I didnt like the end of the insert showing so I went back & had him make one longer with bolder font. While I was there I just happen to show the guy the emblem & he insisted on trying to install it on the scene. I tried to tell him that I would do it later because it needed trimming to fit around the flag, but he wouldn't have it, & butchered up & bent the insert,as he was trying to make it fit .As he was doing it I could tell I didnt like the results ,& since he only charged a few bucks & he was really nice so I ask him to make me a spare :roll: knowing the one he gapped up would not be used ,. here is a pic of the first one on bottom & the one he butchered on top;

Orig:

First one made with smaller font & too short;

current one;
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

(Does anyone happen to know whether the panel with the Cyclone emblem had an engineering stamp? If so I would really appreciate knowing what that number was.)
Thanks,
kevin

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

kevinshi wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:10 am
(Does anyone happen to know whether the panel with the Cyclone emblem had an engineering stamp? If so I would really appreciate knowing what that number was.)
You could check this number against a plain caliente r panel trim piece. probably the same. most people cant take their emblem off to look because they're riveted on but mine has been drilled off & drilled ,tapped & screwed back on,so I'll try & get that for you in the near future, I need to polish under there anyway.
Johno

kevinshi

RE: CYCLONE to CALIENTE Rear Molding Conversion (was: Dimensions of CYCLONE & GT Inserts?)

Post by kevinshi »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:24 pm
The guy who made my caliente inserts moved his shop to a bigger town about an hour away ,but it looks like he still has the same name on FB;
https://www.facebook.com/onestopsigns211/
Thanks for the pointer - I managed to connect with One Stop Sign Shop (aka OMG: Oh My Gifts) who, luckily, still had the file they used to produce your insert. The are sticking a couple in the mail to me (~$15).
poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:24 pm
I tried to tell him that I would do it later because it needed trimming to fit around the flag, but he wouldn't have it, & butchered up & bent the insert,as he was trying to make it fit .As he was doing it I could tell I didnt like the results...
Do you have any trimming/cutting tips for having it come out as nice as your final product?
Last edited by kevinshi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
kevin

poboyjo65

Re: CYCLONE to CALIENTE Rear Molding Conversion (was: Dimensions of CYCLONE & GT Inserts?)

Post by poboyjo65 »

well the area that needs to be cut doesn't show, the flag covers it. so the main thing is not to bend it when cutting. . I can't remember how I cut it for sure but I think I used some scissors & just cut a big V out. Or it could have been a utility knife with new razor blade in it laying on flat wood,,, it just needs to be a place cut out for the mounting post of the flag. they did a good job of cutting it the right size to fit in the emblem. however the first one with the skinnier font the red border was a tad cut off on the bottom right,you can see it in the pics.

Your link doesn't work for me, so they did change their name? I would like to get them to make one of the first size font ,& since it will be a tad shorter have them make it centered of the big font,that should make it equal distance or centered between the flag & the left end. I was really picky about that & they understood & did a good job of making it like I wanted it.

When you get er done I want to see it !! Matter of fact,I cant remember ever seeing your car, you should throw up some pics,maybe even start a thread on it !!! :D
Johno

kevinshi

Re: CYCLONE to CALIENTE Rear Molding Conversion (was: Dimensions of CYCLONE & GT Inserts?)

Post by kevinshi »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:49 pm
Your link doesn't work for me, so they did change their name?
Oh geesh, I'm an idiot. I fixed the link. They seem to have two sister shops now so its now called OneStop Sign Shop & OMG "Oh My Gifts".
poboyjo65 wrote:
I would like to get them to make one of the first size font ,& since it will be a tad shorter have them make it centered of the big font,that should make it equal distance or centered between the flag & the left end. I was really picky about that & they understood & did a good job of making it like I wanted it.
Wait, I am confused. I figured what I ordered was AFTER you being super picky? Are you saying even the last version could still be better? Dang, I should have held off until you get it perfect... let me know if you come up with a better iteration and I will ask them to send it to me as well...
poboyjo65 wrote:
When you get er done I want to see it !! Matter of fact,I cant remember ever seeing your car, you should throw up some pics,maybe even start a thread on it !!! :D
Maybe I will use this as an excuse to finally post a picture of my entire car and not just random parts. ;-)
Thanks,
kevin

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Was there more than one version of the rear CYCLONE molding piece?

See below picture... this one has black letters/flag with a red outline... which is exactly the opposite of Johnny's (see above)?

Huh?
Thanks,
kevin