Radio

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Gomez30311@gmail.com

Radio

Post by Gomez30311@gmail.com »

Is an early mustang radio the same for a 64 comet? What radio can be used without cutting up the dashboard?

kevinshi

Re: Radio

Post by kevinshi »

It took some minor effort but I have been able to fabricate an installation of the RetroSound® Redondo into my '65 Caliente w/out modifying my car (including the orginal dash radio bezel).

I bought mine years ago and it is based on their "Motor 3" which is no longer available. However I am nearly certain that the available Motor 2 and Motor 4 are the same dimensions (and therefore as also workable). ("Motor" is just RetroSound's mechanism to have distinguishing features onboard). They have also added a number of other models since I purchased mine (like "Wonderbar") - its possible one of their other models would also work (or maybe even work better).

The Redondo comes with a huge number of knob options. The link above is to the variety I think matches closest to factory (the black dot option on that page).

Two modifications were required:
1) Trimming the two side brackets to allow the buttons/face plate to carry forward far enough into the bezel. Very easy mod and generates a pretty good result.
2) Grinding a curve into the top corners of the Plexiglas face plate such that it will fit into the Comet's face plate opening. This is a bit more difficult and pretty hacky (I used a Dremmel to free hand it...). I managed to make it look acceptable I think. I call RetroSound every once and a while to ask if they happen to have added a face plate for the 1965 Falcon/Comet but so far no luck.

The factory radio bracket (in the rear) actually works super well with the Redondo... which means mounting it is pretty dang easy (beyond making the above two modifications).

If you decide you actually want to buy one of those and make it work I can post more details on what I did (I took a bunch of pictures).

Warning: The question you asked is the same one I asked years ago... which led to my doing a near full restoration of my car.... which is still in progress... ;-)
Last edited by kevinshi on Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

kevinshi wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:58 pm
I call RetroSound every once and a while to ask if they happen to have added a face place for the 1965 Falcon/Comet but so far no luck.
I just looked at those and saw this one https://www.retromanufacturing.com/coll ... 2127425102

Not sure that is what you were talking about.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

lavron wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:37 pm
I just looked at those and saw this one https://www.retromanufacturing.com/coll ... 2127425102. Not sure that is what you were talking about.
Oh geesh. That's a better link than mine (though I still think the black knobs are more factory looking)... and yes, I will call them again tomorrow because that does imply that they now have added a face plate would be curved to fit into the factory radio dial opening (fingers crossed!). (Sadly it seems they still do not have a COMET window sticker...)

Having browsed it a bit more myself I now see that Retro also indicates their Detroit and Laguna models also work (their full lineup for the 1965 Falcon can be viewed here). I am skeptical the Detroit could be installed w/out modifying the bezel. Meanwhile the Laguna does not have Bluetooth which is a show stopper for me.

Update: I called RetroSound, they asked that I send a follow up email with pictures which I have done. Further bulletins when events warrant.
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)