65 Comet super stock Wagon

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
southcross 2631

65 Comet super stock Wagon

Post by southcross 2631 »

I have been lurking around on this site for a while. I have built a 65 Comet 202 wagon to run with the Southeast Gassers in their Super Stock division.
It has a 334 inch windsor motor that came from a late 65 Comet 289 block that was left at a machine shop down in Florida because it wouldn't clean up at .030. So I had the machine shop bore it to .040 and install one sleeve and then bore the sleeve.
It has a Scat crank,I beam 5.4 rods . I chose I beams because they are lighter and I am not using any power adders. I have Icon 12.5 to 1 dome pistons.
Pro Maxx CNC ported heads . Scorpian rockers . A Herbert .672-.680 lift solid roller cam. The rules required dual plane intake. It is a RPM Performer
That has been treated to about 20 hours of porting work. Using grinders and acid to get to the places grinding bits won't reach. Amazing what Muriatic acid does to an aluminum intake. Pour it in and let it do it's thing and then epoxy up the hole when it goes too far.
It runs an AED built 750 Holley that flows about 820 cfm. It is sparked by a Jegs distributor and an MSD 6al box.
It has a Spec billet flywheel clutch and special built pressure plate with an aluminum pressure ring to allow a slight amount of slip to cut down on parts breakage. I am presently running a 2.78 1st gear top loader with all Liberty guts including their new input shaft made of 300M to resist twisting which is easy to do on a 6,000 rpm launch. It is fed through a custom steel driveshaft with 1350 u-joints from Hudlow axle to a 9 inch Ford rear with a Strange S style carrier and Strange pinion support and a 6.00 gear. the axles are Yukon 31 spline, but I am upgrading to 35 spline after twisting them a little after 3 passes.
We are required to run a Hoosier 7.00-15 spec slick. Those tires are really good and they will break parts for those who don't believe that just ask all the folks that run them.
This off season we are going to get the car painted and lettered so it won't look so ragged. It had 3 or 4 really crappy paint jobs on it when I got the car.
I tried to post a few photos but the it says the file is too large when I pull them from my files. Even one at a time.

Jims65cyclone

Re: 65 Comet super stock Wagon

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Where in the Southeast are you located? I'm in SC. Sounds like a great car, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to see it. Here's how to post pics.
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =1&t=16011

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Cool!
There are some really great cars in the Southeast Gasser outfit. I see a lot of early Falcons that really smoke.
Hope to see you run in one of their videos on YT.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BUDDY,that sounds plum awsome....this is one I'd like to see run....me and son have been talking about attending this meet ,it's on my bucket list.....pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D
Johno

southcross 2631

We live in Athens, Tn. We will be at Paradise drag strip in Calhoun , Ga. tomorrow Dec. 5th to do some testing. Come on out and say hi.
The season opener will be in Holt, Florida at Emerald Coast Dragway on March 21 st. 2021.
The last season champion in super stock was Mark Hackett in his 65 Comet Caliente. It is a very bad hot rod and Mark is a super nice guy.
We have had some new car issues that every new drag car has. Especially a stick shift car. We collapsed the spring saddles the first time out and bent the spring plates. After getting some rock crawler spring saddles and building some new spring plates out of 1/4 inch steel plate we didn't realize that it had bent the driveshaft so the next attempt was met with a severe vibration.
So we had the driveshaft retubed. When we got to Florida the car was still hopping a little on launch. We were trying to not add aa 100 extra lbs to the car by adding traction bars, so I was experimenting with setting the car up like a Mopar by stiffening the front half of the springs and using a pinion snubber. No, you can't run Cal Tracs before anybody asks . I was going to install some Crites lift bars, but those may become illegal as well. The car now weighs 3364 with me in the car and needs to run low 7 second 1/8 th mile times to be in the game.
While were in Florida the car launched well but layed over in 3rd and 4th gear. I got home and started going over the fuel system and right where the engine diaper strap attached to the frame it had pinched the rubber fuel line almost completely flat so it caused a dramatic drop in fuel flow and pressure.
I built some slapper bars this past week and repaired the fuel line so I need a chance to test those changes before we take the car to Ky. to get painted. I am fortunate enough to have Llyod's auto body and glass shop step up and say he will paint the car for advertisement . I will replace all of the window rubbers while the car is up there.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome on!
In reading your posts I feel your excitement for the sport!
Looking forward to pics.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

southcross 2631

It's the most fun a 71 year old can have with his clothes on.
I started drag racing in 1966. I actually raced a 65 Comet convertible in stock eliminator from 67-69. It was a 289-271 4speed car. Dark green with black interior black soft top. It ran high 12's on 7 inch cheater slicks in AHRA trim which was a little more liberal than NHRA.
I was telling my wife I have gone full circle going back to a 65 Comet 4 speed car. Yes it would be easier to just put an automatic in it and run brackets , but running heads up with no electronic aids and slamming a 4 speed really takes me back to my roots.
I have run alterds ,gassers,I worked on an alky funny car. Ran a big block Camaro in super stock. You can't beat the south east gasser super stock class for good fair and friendly competition.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

southcross 2631 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:07 pm
OL POP is 2yrs older,,,and I agree,,,naked or not it's pure D fun,,,,,,nothing like a 4spd,,,and a stout SBF
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:46 pm
southcross 2631 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:07 pm
OL POP is 2yrs older,,,and I agree,,,naked or not it's pure D fun,,,,,,nothing like a 4spd,,,and a stout SBF
HEY ! pop ain't but 1 year older,,brain fade...pop :? :?
pop/glenda

southcross 2631

Went to the car show and drag race on Sat. Dec.5th at Paradise dragstrip and made some changes to the car and picked up 6 tenths in the 1/8th.
I am still too long in 3rd gear and not making the rpm's that I need. Going to leak check the motor today to se if the rings have seated completely or if I have any issues. I need to pull the oil pan and check the bearings and replace the dripping rear main seal.
I have contacted the cam company whose cam I am running to see if advancing the cam timing a few degrees will help. Or maybe a new cam is needed to get the most out of the car. You would think with a 6.00 gear I would be in 4 th gear a lot sooner than right in the traps.
After that it's going to get winterized and hauled to Ky. for a new paint job.

southcross 2631

Sorry for falling off the face of the earth, but life happens. The car got sold before I could get it to it's full potential. It is staying in the SEGA just under new ownership.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

southcross 2631 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:25 pm
Sorry for falling off the face of the earth, but life happens. The car got sold before I could get it to it's full potential. It is staying in the SEGA just under new ownership.
Haven't followed the new owner but I see SEGA has changed a few rules to make it more competitive in S/S.
Something about hood scoops, turkey pans............ :roll: :wink:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

southcross 2631

The school's out wagon is getting painted and relettered. It should make it's first appearance at the race in Knoxville. Mark Hackett the former world champion has the car.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

southcross 2631 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:44 am
The school's out wagon is getting painted and relettered. It should make it's first appearance at the race in Knoxville. Mark Hackett the former world champion has the car.
Mike, is he still running the '65 Caliente?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop