Why are these pieces missing?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
joswald

Why are these pieces missing?

Post by joswald »

Hello everyone. I have a 1964 Comet 202 that is a resto- mod project. There are two items missing from my car, The drivers side mirror and there is no windshield washer bag or pump. someone replaced the side mirror with some 1980s style mirror but i hate it. Did the car come from the factory with out these items? Were they dealer installed items only? I've seen different style mirrors so I don't know what style is correct. is there a relatively easy way to add a windshield washer system? Any input would be appreciated.

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Why are these pieces missing?

Post by lavron »

Mirrors were dealer installed, I think most were round mirrors but I guess they could be anything, I know they can be installed just about anywhere on the door.

The washer system is factory installed I think but it is an option and I would guess the 202 (like mine) being a base model was probably rare to find one with it factory-installed, the washer system is a manual pump that mounts on the floor near the dimmer switch but has an electrical part to it that activates the wipers.

As far as adding the washer system you can do an electric pump with a switch, no one makes the nozzles, however.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

My 64 has the rectangular style rear view mirror on the door that is the original mirror but i have seen quite a few 64s with the round mirror. i wonder why they used different ones on different cars.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP's 64 has a round mirror.,,,I wish I had filled the holes and not put it back on when I redone it yrs ago,,,,to me it looks so much cleaner without the outside mirror,jmo.....pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

smithhe wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:49 am
My 64 has the rectangular style rear view mirror on the door that is the original mirror but i have seen quite a few 64s with the round mirror. i wonder why they used different ones on different cars.
Probably used what they had, my original is round but I have seen them like yours in rectangle as well, I would imagine if you were really cheap you could get one with no mirror and install your own or do without depending on the regulations where you lived.

I am going to weld up the mirror holes on my door and move it, mine was mounted rearward of the vent window and looks wrong to me, I am also going to go dual mirrors so will buy a set that match, I kinda like the rectangular mirrors, they seem to be a better match on a square body Comet IMO but who knows what I will end up with :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Muttley

Post by Muttley »

My '65 Caliente only has a driver side mirror but the original buyer spent the extra coin to get the remote adjuster version. Seems strange they'd do that and not pay an extra few bucks for a passenger side unit.

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Muttley wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 am
My '65 Caliente only has a driver side mirror but the original buyer spent the extra coin to get the remote adjuster version. Seems strange they'd do that and not pay an extra few bucks for a passenger side unit.
is the remote adjustment not a standard option on these comets? i always assumed it was, also i have only seen maybe two rectangular passenger side mirrors for these cars and both times they were over $400 :shock:
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

smithhe wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:45 am
Muttley wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:33 am
is the remote adjustment not a standard option on these comets? i always assumed it was, also i have only seen maybe two rectangular passenger side mirrors for these cars and both times they were over $400 :shock:
It is my belief that in 1964 an outside mirror was a dealer installed option. My Cyclone was four years old when I bought it and had a remote LH mirror but I know for sure that it was not factory installed. The three holes on the door (two mounting one cables) were too crude to be done at the factory, and the inside hole for the adjuster hole on the inside looked as if it was done with a dull chisel. I have since welded the holes and re cut them properly I have also added a R.H. mirror. As you mentioned the mirrors are not inexpensive but not being able to see traffic around you and being involved in an accident is not cheap either.
Jim
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dl ... degfkh~~20

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

My 65 has no side mirrors and I see no evidence it ever had them. I've owned it for 26 years. Looked inside the door and no noticable repair.
Attachments
cycloneside - Edited.jpg
cycloneside - Edited.jpg (57.22 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I wonder if these mirrors are any good?

https://www.classicindustries.com/produ ... 16EALw_wcB

This what the washer pump looks like, I grabbed this picture from eBay;

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

joswald

Post by joswald »

Once again my fellow members have come to the rescue. thank you to everyone who chipped in their two cents. The more I learn the more I find the 202 model was a hodge podge of available parts and options.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

joswald wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:19 pm
Once again my fellow members have come to the rescue. thank you to everyone who chipped in their two cents. The more I learn the more I find the 202 model was a hodge podge of available parts and options.
Not just the 202 but almost the whole model line was similar. Unlike today you could actually build what you wanted in the '60s, I assume if you wanted a 202 (or any trim level) with a V8, 4 speed, and bucket seats you could tick the boxes on the order form and get one, I would think that would be a pretty rare build and you would have to have the build sheet to confirm it came that way if one was concerned with a rare original, I am thankful my 202 came with no boxes checked, probably wasn't special order but dealer stock and it is not so rare that I wouldn't want to drive it or modify it, the way it is I have not damaged some rare classic by changing things to make it mine, I am trying to keep it true to the 60s or early 70s, except for the air ride and a few other mechanical additions the car could have been built in 1975 (M2 was around then, just not too many 5 speeds, I guess I could have put a 4-speed knob on the shifter, or left the plain one that was on there)

In the old days, there was much more dealer options than now, it is funny to think the A/C was a dealer option, I am not sure when it became a factory-installed unit but I would guess sometime in the mid to late '60s (on ordinary cars, not stuff like Lincolns) I wish you could still order a car and have it built but I think those days are long gone.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I have 2 round mirrors I took off my 65. Pretty sure they are factory mirrors. I replaced them with rectangular mirrors and moved them back on the door a little bit so that you could use the right hand one. Anyway you can have them if you like. There in pretty good shape.
tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:24 pm

In the old days, there was much more dealer options than now, it is funny to think the A/C was a dealer option, I am not sure when it became a factory-installed unit but I would guess sometime in the mid to late '60s

See Ya,
Mike
True you could get one at the dealer but they were a factory option in 65. I'm not sure about 64 but I would think so. the misconception is because factory air was an underdash unit like many dealer add on's.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:24 pm
In the old days, there was much more dealer options than now, it is funny to think the A/C was a dealer option
Pop gave me his '62 Galaxie as my first car.
He bought it new without a heater because we were living in Florida at the time.
He DID spring for the cigar lighter, though. Those Roi-Tans were pretty nasty. :!:

JT
Last edited by Joe Travers on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi