Engine bay room?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Engine bay room?

Post by DesertRat »

I have my 65 Cyclone up on my rotisserie and I am ready to install the front and rear suspension. My question has anyone installed the Crites shock tower trim kit? I called Crites and they said that their kit is designed for installing an FE based engine and moves the suspension C/L out about 3" overall. (1 1/2" per side) I am staying Windsor based for my engine but I wonder about the wider track as it relates to tire clearance, size and backspace. I am looking at Opentracker and Global West for my suspension options.
Thanks in advance---------------------DR
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

tweaked

Re: Engine bay room?

Post by tweaked »

You can trim some of the shock tower yourself without a kit and without moving the suspension. I trimmed mine and wish I had cut more. I parted out a 65 comet that had a 351C in it. Shock towers were cut and had shortened control arms. No idea how it drove.

Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I'm thinking it may not be a viable move but it moves the suspension out whether it's a FE or Windsor.
There has to be guys who did the change for the FE install.
Hmmmmm-----------------------

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I cut mine back in 2013 after 19 years of knuckle busting on my cleveland. Just used some steel I had laying around. It sure makes working on my 351C easier. Was super tight before.
Attachments
Did this back in 2013
Did this back in 2013
2013-05-21 16.21.00.JPG (131.49 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:58 pm
I cut mine back in 2013 after 19 years of knuckle busting on my cleveland. Just used some steel I had laying around. It sure makes working on my 351C easier. Was super tight before.
That looks real nice. What is your shock/spring/arm combination if you don't mind me asking. Your tower tops are shaved-----------------------

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

DesertRat wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 pm

That looks real nice. What is your shock/spring/arm combination if you don't mind me asking. Your tower tops are shaved-----------------------
I am using the street or track coil over set up. I have it on my 66 Mustang too. Real nice product and really improves hadling. Plus the guy lives not too far from me so I just drive over and pick up the kit.
Attachments
IMG_2604.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG (189.39 KiB) Viewed 999 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

When mine were cut none of the mounting points of anything changed and the notch doesn't interfere with the movement of anything.
The towers were notched very similiar to Boss's along the coil spring and clearence for the upper a-arm was ensured.
Plug access was a breeze on the C.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:50 pm
DesertRat wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:12 pm

I am using the street or track coil over set up. I have it on my 66 Mustang too. Real nice product and really improves hadling. Plus the guy lives not too far from me so I just drive over and pick up the kit.
I looked at street or track and I was thinking about going that way. I think they have spindles in the kit to take the struts. Any compatibility issues with the factory steering. I will be going to the Borgeson PS kit.
SASSY wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:57 pm
When mine were cut none of the mounting points of anything changed and the notch doesn't interfere with the movement of anything.
The towers were notched very similiar to Boss's along the coil spring and clearence for the upper a-arm was ensured.
Plug access was a breeze on the C.
Fred
Fred, what was your arm/spring/shock setup?

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I am using stock spidles with 2006 Mustang GT brakes. My Dad is a retired from Ford tool and die maker, he made the brackets to mount the brakes. All stock steering components. Packed my steering box with grease and dialed in some extra caster, no need for power steering now.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

[/quote]
Fred, what was your arm/spring/shock setup?
[/quote]
Stock a arms stock shocks, stock springs with coils cut till I was happy with ride height.
Their isn't anything fancy or expensive under my car
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about