Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by DesertRat »

Salvaged the 4-speed hump doubler from the original floorpan and fit it up.
I welded 1/4-20 hex nuts to the doubler where I wanted the hump to fasten.
Once this was done I prepped for plug welding the doubler to the floor under the car. I checked the location the best I could and welded it in.
Below is the original 65 4-speed hump installed in the car with 1/4 20 SS round head philips fasteners.
I also finished repairing the trunk gasket channel so next up is the core support radiator mod for the larger radiator.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

DesertRat wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:38 pm
I'm thinking about buying a blueprint crate motor 347 fully dressed. They sell a harmonic balancer but look to me like it will be missing the water pump and timing chain and gears. I'm wondering if my 6 bolt bellhousing and my flywheel will work. Have any of you guys used a blueprint crate motor? I need advice.
If your current engine is '65 289 bellhousing will work. Flywheel will work if crate engine has 28oz crankshaft harmonic balancer. Small block external balancer jumped to 50oz in early 80s, I believe.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks Joe: The engine I removed is a 66 289 on indeterminate pedigree. I ordered the fully dressed 347 with 28 oz. balancer and 157 tooth flywheel. I ordered the one belt serpentine drive for it to save room. I am now trying to solve the cooling issue. I am looking at Northern aluminum radiators but I am having a hard time matching up the available real estate with the cooling requirement which will have AC as well. I am working with the long time radiator shop locally that solved the cooling issue on my Barracuda coupe. I want to do whatever metal work is required to the core support next as I have the car on the rotisserie and want to shoot primer soon.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Enjoying the clean build pics! Keep 'em coming!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

'65-'66 the same, all good there. I'm going to be putting my car through the stress test this Summer. Gets into upper 90's down here sometimes. Running stock rad AND A/C condenser up front :shock: I may be upgrading to aluminum cross-flow myself if engine tops 195F. Heat soak jumps 20 degrees now with headers and aluminum heads. If it gets higher....goodbye stock rad.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

In the desert here it gets a lot of hot days and I have these cars heat up on me. With this one I am determined to have it run cool. With PS and AC and the 415 HP rating of the motor I know it will take something more to cool it. I am now looking at having the radiator shop build me a custom setup that I know with confidence will work. Don't want to get there and find I missed it.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

A fan shroud is the most important and the correct fan,,,,these pretty after market fans ain't always the answer.,,
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:39 pm
A fan shroud is the most important and the correct fan,,,,these pretty after market fans ain't always the answer.,,
Point well taken, Pop. I need to pick up a shroud soon. Might cool things down a bit. Aluminum heads and headers throw off a lot of heat under the hood. Have hood hinges set now where I can cock up the back a bit w/o the rubber seal, let some heat escape there like the old factory race cars. :wink:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Ordered my radiator and electric fan shroud kit from my radiator guy. I am going with a Northern brand unit, American made and 100% heliarc welded, no epoxy. I laid out the cutout in the core support but I will wait until the unit gets here before doing any cutting. It will look a lot like tomb's radiator install. My AC from Classic air got here this week. I'm waiting on the new Yukon axles to complete the parts gathering for my rear axle rebuild. The photo below is last weekend when I rolled the rotisserie out in my driveway and scrubbed and pressure washed my shop floor and gave the Comet another bath. Cheers to all-------------------------DR-------------------

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Gonna shoot the belly after you get the rad mocked up?
She looks good and ready 8)

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:50 pm
Gonna shoot the belly after you get the rad mocked up?
She looks good and ready 8)

JT
Yes I'm 95% done with the metal repair. I'll shoot the whole car inside and outside with epoxy primer and get the seam sealer on it. Then I'm going to paint the bottom of the car with machine grey for the buildout. The grey will make it a lot easier to see what I'm doing. I'll spray undercoat as the final step.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOOKS good....me and son bought a large nice rotissorie like your a few yrs ago and never have used it yet,,we have the hyd rams put up never used,,,it ain't gonna go sour waiting on us,,one day we'll use it,,,,,your gonna have a keeper for sure,,,good luck,,,,pop
pop/glenda

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

popscomet wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:14 pm
LOOKS good....me and son bought a large nice rotissorie like your a few yrs ago and never have used it yet,,we have the hyd rams put up never used,,,it ain't gonna go sour waiting on us,,one day we'll use it,,,,,your gonna have a keeper for sure,,,good luck,,,,pop
Thanks pop, I couldn't do the car justice without the rotisserie. It's the first time I've used one and I wonder how I got along without one. I'm a senior citizen and have to be careful with my two metal knees and chronic back pain. I'm able to make this car nice because of the rotisserie.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking good :D Sounds like your plans are taking shape. keep the pictures coming.
tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

yea ! we bought it with redoing his 67 fst back stang in mind....right now we are taking a break from working on anything....we are burnt out on work,,,from what I gather,,a car redone on a rottisserie seems to turn out better in most times,,,don't know for sure,,alot of people always mention it when trying to sell ,,does that mean it brings a higher price or just sounds more inviting ??......but who wants to sell it after building it?? not POP for sure,,,,pop
pop/glenda