Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by DesertRat »

I'm trying to start this build thread one more time.
This is what I started with. Not near as nice as I thought when I bought it but I need a project and I feel the car will be worth the work.
DR
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Joe Travers

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Doug!

It's in a lot better shape than the Cyclone I owned back in the 80s. Very capable of being restored and well worth it, considering current prices. Cool you still have the stock hubcaps. 8) Keep on keeping on!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Doesn't look bad to me, I think it is worth fixing and really wouldn't be a project if you just shot paint and called it done :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

anything with more than 1 carb is a keeper to me....pop
pop/glenda

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

A few things about this car-It is a 1965 factory 4 speed A-code Cyclone. The car was mostly untouched but badly beaten with a lot of abuse evident under the car. It was a running driving car when I bought it and my only criteria for my next builder was that it be a factory 4 speed car. I had already build a 65 (my avatar) so I thought it was the one. When I got it home and started the demolition it became apparent that it was way more than I bargained for. But the car is rare and all the bits are there so I am auguring forward with the build of this car.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Wow! You've got the stuff of a great Cyclone build: original hub caps, all the rocker and wheel lip trim, Cyclone steering wheel, looks like the console is in good shape, grill corral. You've got a great starting point. 8)

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

it's for sure one to build,,,,go for it !! good luck.....POP
pop/glenda

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

So a little more about the car. The car was unloved and untouched. It had been stored outside on the west side of WA state which lent the car the ability to corrode and rust. Not evident at first but I think I caught it in the very nick of time. Everything was there but badly corroded and questionably usable. During demolition EVERYTHING on this care came HARD. Took all my experience to get it apart without damaging the item but I got it! It was at this point that I realized that if I was ever going to finish the car I needed a rotisserie. My age means the work has to come to me-my metal knees and lack of flexibility make that mandatory, So I ordered the AutoTwirler Pro to help with that issue.
DR-out----------------

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

The big plus with this car is it is complete, as Jim mentioned. Finding parts is the biggest hassle with these cars and I believe your comment about rust may be a little overstated, if I may say so. My '65 Cyclone was originally purchased and driven on the Gulf Coast for the first 20 years of it's life and the undercarriage was barely hanging on. That's why I sold it. It would have taken more money to restore than it was worth and I couldn't justify keeping it. Thank goodness someone else saved it out of an act of mercy. Looking at the floor pans, I'm presuming the frame rails aren't in bad shape. This restoration appears to be a walk in the park. Congratulations on such a great find! Keep on keeping on :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

DesertRat wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:56 am
The car was unloved and untouched. It had been stored outside on the west side of WA state which lent the car the ability to corrode and rust. Not evident at first but I think I caught it in the very nick of time.
It has the right person to show it some TLC now and make it better than it ever was.
DesertRat wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:56 am
My age means the work has to come to me-my metal knees and lack of flexibility make that mandatory, So I ordered the AutoTwirler Pro to help with that issue.
I hear you there, this is supposed to be fun not a chore and I enjoy doing it but really can't lay on my back and get too much done and enjoy myself, I am glad I flipped my car on its side it made a pretty bad job so much better, even kinda fun, I like to weld but I am not very good at it and despise trying to do it overhead :evil: not a fan of hot balls falling toward my tender skin :P with limited room to get out of the way, plus I want it to be safe when it is on the road so don't want to depend on possibly dodgy welds and the bottom of the car looks so nice now that it is painted even if the car is so low no one will be able to see it :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks guys, This car was beat so bad the rear shock mount plates were cracked and the transmission mount is warped. I have been working on this car since June so spoiler alert, There is a full floorpan replacement coming in a future post. Obviously I had to do that and install the subframe connectors before I could install it on the rotisserie.
DR-----Out-----------

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

DesertRat wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:00 pm
Thanks guys, This car was beat so bad the rear shock mount plates were cracked and the transmission mount is warped. I have been working on this car since June so spoiler alert, There is a full floorpan replacement coming in a future post. Obviously I had to do that and install the subframe connectors before I could install it on the rotisserie.
DR-----Out-----------
Calvert Racings caltracs traction bars come with new shock mount plates if you decide to go that route would solve that problem.

If I had it to order them again I would tell them to send both like the one on the right in this pic. I guess they make them like that in case you want stagger mount shocks ,[one in front of axle & one behind it] . so on my comet the rear hole is empty so if it had double mounts on the other plate would be a great ''Tow hook eye'' to chain it to a trailer. I'm sure they could do it because they sell replacement parts for their stuff,maybe be a little tad more money.
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

As mentioned before I have been working on this car for a while. I boned, bagged & tagged the entire car to the shell. I have access to a bead blast cabinet to many hours of work went into the cleaning and prepping of the small parts. Most of these will get re-used but some will not. These photos are from a warm day last fall when I set up my pop-up paint booth and painted everything with epoxy primer. Then they were sorted and stored for later use during assembly.
DR out-----------------

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I hope the glue on those bag labels sticks REALLY well. :shock: :lol:

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:22 pm
I hope the glue on those bag labels sticks REALLY well. :shock: :lol:

Jim
Oh yes, The parts are sorted and bagged labeled with sharpie. I can find everything I need but it is in several thousand pieces. Its' the same way I did the blue Comet 404 post car in my avatar but I did not have to go this deep into that car. I did a 67 Barracuda coupe that I build the same way as this one, boned it like a fish. Did all my body and paint then put it all back together. It is my DD while I build this one. Got my suspension on the way and will mock up and cut the shock towers this weekend.
DR out------------------ :)