Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by A/FX »

JCBond wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:17 pm
Thanks! Where did you get the new glass?
I purchased the windscreen and back glass directly from Pilkington Glass classic division. They shipped it to my local Pilkington warehouse and I picked up there. All the side glass was cut by my local automotive glass shop, I have been dealing with them for decades.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

JCBond wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:04 pm
When you have the original glass out what do you do with it? Do you just clean it up best you can or is there some other process that repairs the pitting and stuff? Just asking because your glass looks really nice and new.
My glass is all original to the car. My glass shop gave me a product to use on it and after starting the process by hand I got my air polisher out and went after it with the air polisher which cleaned it up like new. Then I polished it with a product called Rejex which I use on my cars in lieu of wax. My stainless polishing is a 3-step process with another aircraft product that I polish with rough compound and a wool pad then move to a finer compound with a foam pad. I finish it off with a coat of Rejex as well. I have my glass tinted as dark as Washington state law allows except for the windshield.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I want a period correct tachometer for the dash of my Cyclone. After looking at all the contemporary units out there I found a used unit on ebay that looked like it was close enough if not perfect. I bought it with no guarantee that it worked, and it came yesterday. Job one was to test it for performance, so I wired it up to my 67 Barracuda and low and behold it works. It will be on the dash of my finished car just as is. Maybe polish the brightwork.
Today the weather is good enough to continue the stripping paint off the fenders/hood/deck lid.
Douglas---------
Last edited by DesertRat on Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:11 pm
I want a period correct tachometer for the dash of my Cyclone. After looking at all the contemporary units out there I found a used unit on ebay that looked like it was close enough if not perfect. I bought it with no guarantee that it worked, and it came yesterday. Job one was to test it for performance, so I wired it up to my 67 Barracuda and low and behold it works. It will be on the dash of my finished car just as is. Maybe polish the brightwork.
Today the weather is good enough to continue the stripping paint off the fenders/hood/deck lid.
Dougals---------
I have a similar looking tach in my 65. I will try to get a picture later.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I am using the time to continue stripping my fenders, hood & deck lid to bare metal in prep for epoxy primer.
Below is the color I want to paint my Cyclone. Or something very close. Still on the hunt for headliner bows.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Great colour!
The car pictured is sure stunning!
Raider? front wheels?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had a 53 ford truck & wanted it candy apple red like that. just a few years later I fell out of love with that color for it. it just wasn't me. It seemed like one of those guys that is always polishing it,sorta unreal,like a hotwheels car or something. then got to thinking about how it would look about half dirty,which is about how it would be with me most of the time. :roll: I never did paint that truck,just ran around in hotrod flat black. :lol:

But that does look great! :D
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

My neighbor had a new Ford truck that is a color very close to what I want. I will get the code and have my paint guy mix me a sample for a sprayout.
I am thinking bright Cragar wheels, a change from the Torquethrust D's I was thinking. I'm a bit frustrated as I have all the items bought for the car. The gauge cluster is at G-Car for renovation and the radio is in PA for renovation. My Dakota Digital gauges arrived along with the Ron Francis wiring so now it is all dirty body prep for a while:-(

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:30 pm
Raider? front wheels?
I really like the old Rader wheels, esp. on a '64.
Still available but they are pretty steep. :(

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:43 pm
My neighbor had a new Ford truck that is a color very close to what I want. I will get the code and have my paint guy mix me a sample for a sprayout.
I am thinking bright Cragar wheels, a change from the Torquethrust D's I was thinking. I'm a bit frustrated as I have all the items bought for the car. The gauge cluster is at G-Car for renovation and the radio is in PA for renovation. My Dakota Digital gauges arrived along with the Ron Francis wiring so now it is all dirty body prep for a while:-(
That color is very nice!! I would guess it is a tri-coat, probably a house of colors mix. PPG also has the candy colors like that, also tri-coats. They market them under their Radiance II line. Did a bike few years back with the Radiance II that looked very much like that. It was Romanesque Crimson over fine gold. Pricey but all tri-coats are.

When you start playing with tri-coats, you can do some neat stuff !!

Lou

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Hello all, the retired DesertRat here with the latest body & paint on my 65 Cyclone.
First, I took the entire car down to bare metal then used epoxy primer to seal it up.
Then I opened the epoxy up with 320 dry and hit it with 2k urethane sandable.
I put seam sealer on the underside of the hood and trunk to help hold the panels during blocking and cut/buff.
This morning I painted the 2K on the underside of the hood/deck. Next week I will prep and get the 2K on the show surfaces of the fenders/hood/deck.
My current DD Barracuda is in the background, I did the body and paint on it as well.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Looking great, Doug! Going to be better than new when you finish.
I like the first gen 'Cuda, my favorite Mopar. Ran into one locally that would make someone a good project.
Cyclone has it beat, have to admit :mrgreen:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Can anyone tell me if there is an aftermarket replacement door skin for a 1965 Comet 2D Ht available?

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

DesertRat wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:27 pm
Can anyone tell me if there is an aftermarket replacement door skin for a 1965 Comet 2D Ht available?
Not sure but any ‘63 1/2 to ‘65 Falcon or Comet 2dr hardtop have the same doors and roof.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I’ve seen places like Summit, Mac’s, Sherman, etc, that sell skins, but for your 65, 🤷🏻‍♂️ have only seen maybe a lower section for the door.

Hope you find what you need, without having to fab it….nice build by the way. I like your paint system, thinking of making a similar rack to hang my fenders, etc, for painting.
Motor Safe,
Lee