Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks guys, I have a right side door that could be saved but---------------
The photos below are what I am doing now, the black is the epoxy primer sanded with 320 dry.
Imagemulti hosting
The gray primer is the high build sandable. I'm just getting everything to one coat of sandable before I start the body work.
This is the last of the large pieces. I have five totes full of small parts blasted and epoxied. I have to sort them as some will be interior color, some will be body color and some will be chassis black.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I have a complete 65 door you can have. I saved it from a fella last fall.
We would need to work out a meeting.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Hello to all, I retired in June so I have been getting back to my car. I had a lot of time to research the needed items to buy to finish my car and I found the right vendor who worked with me and I now have in hand or on order; Gunmetal grey carpet set, exact replacement 65 cyclone seat upholstery in the original white crater for factory front bucket seats and rear seats. I also found a 65 cyclone vinyl headliner in the same material and color as the seat upholstery to go along with my new-to-me 65 cyclone headliner bows from tips to me from two members here (thanks guys). Along with the headliner comes factory replacement sun visors same color ect. While I was at it I sourced exact replacement door and 1/4 panels for a 65 cyclone in white crater vinyl as well, these will be custom made per request as the headliner was. 3 point retractable seat belts for the front and matching 2 point retractable belts for the rear all in grey material.
The color scheme for the car is red exterior in PPG Concept (same as my 67 Barracuda because I had some left from the BC paint job). Gunmetal grey carpet and hard surfaces and steering wheel painted to match. The seats will stay the factory white the way the car was built. The headliner and the side panels will be vinyl dyed by me a lighter grey than the carpet and hard surfaces. This color scheme was always the plan except I changed the exterior color when I saw the car that sold at Mechum auction that was linked to this site by a member. My paint vendor has agreed to mix up the colors the way I want them. They will have to custom mix the vinyl dye to my satisfaction but the agreed to do it, so I am happy about that.
I am in the bodywork mode now, fill, sand & repeat. Here are a couple photos doing bodywork in my driveway :-)
Stay frosty Yall DR

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sounds like she's gonna be a beauty! 8)

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Got my dash bezel back from G-Car after being vacuum plated and detailed. The camera case finish will be installed on the rest of the dash trim.
Too hot for body work and that is what my car needs now-------------

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Nice looking work, Doug!

Was it pitted before you sent it? I'd like to get some plastic re-plated. Thanks for the tip on sourcing.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:41 pm
Nice looking work, Doug!

Was it pitted before you sent it? I'd like to get some plastic re-plated. Thanks for the tip on sourcing.

Joe
This is the third bezel Glenn has done for me. 2 65 comet bezel and one 67 Barracuda bezel. He has a 6 month lead time, he's in high demand.

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I have been using the milder weather to get some things done on my Comet. Below is a sequence of the bonding of my headlight bezels to the front fenders and starting to iron the fenders out for block primer.
Below I show the securing of the fasteners in the fenders. A dab of panel bond on the nuts & washers.
The rest is the usual stuff. Getting ready to body work the fittings into one unit.
I have more progress photos to post but I will wait a couple days. I bought a new paint gun and my painting had become much better. I think I will be able to get the hood and trunk lid with just primer, no filler. Will post that when ready. Cheers to all--------------

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Here are a few more of my pop-up body shop driveway photos. I now have the fenders, hood, doors and trunk lid bodyworked and in final primer ready for blocking.
I am moving on to some small parts that get body color for the priming operation the weather will shut me down soon so it will be back to the rotisserie to install fuel, brake and battery relocation items.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lookin good! How did the right door turn out?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Both doors came out like the photos. straight enough for final blocking after skim coating the lower doors. I was able to get the hood ready with just the high build primer and sanding but I have to skim coat the whole trunk lid to get it flat. Should finish it this week. All the seats go to upholstery next week after ordering the correct pivot bolts. (Thanks Jim)

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Advice needed please. I ordered factory 1965 bucket seat foams for my Cyclone and when the upholstery arrived I took it to the upholstery shop for assembly. The foams do not appear to be for the Comet bucket seats I have which were original to the car and the new upholstery is correct. Have any of you successfully rebuilt original bucket seats with the correct foam and if so where did you buy it? It appears the only seat foam available in the country is the ones imported from China by Distinctive Industries which are providing them to all the resellers.
Douglas Muscott

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I have not rebuilt factory Comet seats but I have done a pair of ‘64 Thunderbird seats to look like a Comet seat. A good Automotive trim shop knows how to layer and trim different types of foam to creat whatever shape is desired, in my case he created a “bucket” seat instead of a “flat” platform seating surface. The factory Comet seats were basically flat, you sat on them instead of in them, with a “bucket” style seating surface the seat supports your body from moving around.
I’m sure a good trim shop could take your existing or the reproduction foam and create the look you want.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I haven't done my interior yet, but a number of guys on here have gotten their interior components from Northwest Classic. I don't know where he gets his foam, but I haven't heard of any complaints about it not fitting.
https://www.falconcometinteriors.com/

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:54 pm
Cool! I had a pair of these in my first Mustang back in the '70s. Much more comfortable than the stock ones.
Great choice 👍

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi