Post by Joe Travers »

Paul's website, if needed- https://www.5speeds.com/

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by poboyjo65 »

Doug did I sell you a crossmember? Thinking it was you,,,but anyway I found the parking brake cable lever that goes with it I think.

took a pic when I saw it in my old shop to help me remember where it is. :wink:
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

So---------- I have been buying parts like crazy but not getting much done in the shop. My rear axle build is done and I brought the rear sway bar to the shop so I can run the brake lines and miss the attachment points with the lines. I have to solve the radio issue, I have three 65 Comet AM radios and I have to pick the one to use. I am going to try to get the fuel tank hot tanked at the local NAPA shop to see if it is reusable. If not I will have to buy the 65 Comet specific re-pop tank. I want a 3/8" fuel sending unit which is readily available and I think I will run new 3/8" fuel line while the car is on the rotisserie and run the new brake line at the same time.
I ordered the RTX Dakota Digital gauge cluster and it should ship in July, none in the country now. I have the Ron Francis wiring catalogue on the way after calling them. When I get sorted what exactly I want I will order that. I need a dash mounted tack and I will look at that in the coming week or so.
My T-10 is in the shop for rebuild and I have to decide on a clutch and pressure plate as well as the clutch actuating mechanisim as the power steering conversion will screw the factory z-bar setup. I'm thinking on a hydraulic throwout bearing but that is a ways away.
Waiting for warm weather, cheers to all-DR
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:51 am
So---------- I have been buying parts like crazy but not getting much done in the shop. My rear axle build is done and I brought the rear sway bar to the shop so I can run the brake lines and miss the attachment points with the lines. I have to solve the radio issue, I have three 65 Comet AM radios and I have to pick the one to use. I am going to try to get the fuel tank hot tanked at the local NAPA shop to see if it is reusable. If not I will have to buy the 65 Comet specific re-pop tank. I want a 3/8" fuel sending unit which is readily available and I think I will run new 3/8" fuel line while the car is on the rotisserie and run the new brake line at the same time.
I ordered the RTX Dakota Digital gauge cluster and it should ship in July, none in the country now. I have the Ron Francis wiring catalogue on the way after calling them. When I get sorted what exactly I want I will order that. I need a dash mounted tack and I will look at that in the coming week or so.
My T-10 is in the shop for rebuild and I have to decide on a clutch and pressure plate as well as the clutch actuating mechanisim as the power steering conversion will screw the factory z-bar setup. I'm thinking on a hydraulic throwout bearing but that is a ways away.
I ran a McCleod hydraulic throwout bearing from the mid ninties till about 2015 when I switched to the Mustang Steve conversion to cable linkage. I like the cable much better.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I ran a McCleod hydraulic throwout bearing from the mid ninties till about 2015 when I switched to the Mustang Steve conversion to cable linkage. I like the cable much better.
Thanks for the tip! I found their site and I am researching it now. Looks like the answer I have been looking for.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:57 pm

Thanks for the tip! I found their site and I am researching it now. Looks like the answer I have been looking for.
I did have to build a spacer to bolt to my bellhousing since the firewall is a few inches closer to the clutch pedal than a mustang.
Attachments
clutchspacercyclone.JPG
clutchspacercyclone.JPG (55.27 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:51 am
Sounds like you are preparing for some extended time with your cyclone once the weather clears. Cool!

I think you will like the Ron Francis wiring. I did 3 builds with the Ron Francis harnesses, liked them. Just started wiring my buddies Mustang and he bought a harness from American wire? Was more money and IMHO not as nice as the Ron Francis.

I have some of the same decisions ahead for myself, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel. Are you doing the borgeson PS conversion like John did? I have been second guessing my decision on manual steering. Been thinking of doing what John did with his.

Not sure how original you want to keep your car. But I was thinking of running my brake line inside the car, think Fred did this with sassy. My kids Mitsubishis the brake lines are inside the car from the factory. Think it will be easier, plus the underneath of car will be cleaner. And can put the adjustable brake proportional valve where I can adjust it more easily. Going to be fun watching your build!

Lou

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:23 pm
What advantages did you find with the cable system over the hydraulic?

Jim

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Lou: I am doing the Borgeson PS conversion to my Cyclone. The blue comet 404 in my signature had manual steering and was just too hard with modern tires. The PS conversion is what has me twisted up about the clutch linkage issue. I bought the Blueprint 347 stroker which includes their flywheel but no clutch so I have to get that sorted. I'm not keeping the car "original" but I am keeping it a 65 Cyclone. I am moving the battery to the trunk and routing the cables to terminals where the battery used to be. I bought a pristine 65 stock 4 speed bellhousing to replace the damaged stocker but if I go with the cable system I might have to change bellhousings. If I do that should I just go with a T5 conversion and sell the stock bellhousing and T10 I already have? This build seems to be following the pattern of my other builds where I buy everything twice to get to where I want to go. The good thing is that I have almost all of the parts in stock for final assembly with a few headscratchers left to solve. I plan on being fully retired sometime between memorial day and labor day leaving me time to devote the required time and energy to finish the car. I really appreciate all the good knowledge here that helps with the problem solving.
Douglas

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Well the weather is getting better and I'm making progress buying parts if not wrenching on the car. Today I ordered the Ron Francis wiring for my Cyclone. I went with the Express pkg and had them add headlight relays. Great service and 4 week shipping. Yep!
Now to decide on the clutch solution-------------the next problem solving session------------------------

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

DesertRat wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:27 am
I bought a pristine 65 stock 4 speed bellhousing to replace the damaged stocker but if I go with the cable system I might have to change bellhousings. If I do that should I just go with a T5 conversion and sell the stock bellhousing and T10 I already have?
Doug, T-10 will handle more torque than T-5. Something to think about w/ a stroker engine.
Shifter location is also different. Not my car but I would stick w/ the T-10 and that nice metal work you've already completed.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

DesertRat wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:28 pm
Well the weather is getting better and I'm making progress buying parts if not wrenching on the car. Today I ordered the Ron Francis wiring for my Cyclone. I went with the Express pkg and had them add headlight relays. Great service and 4 week shipping. Yep!
Now to decide on the clutch solution-------------the next problem solving session------------------------
We hit 50* today,,,,woo hoo! Glad to hear you are moving along. I think you will be happy with the Ron Francis wiring. I never did the express harness, I always used the retro kits. But really liked their kit.

Hopefully you are finding the parts you need, been a little tough finding stuff I need for mine but been getting lucky so far. You said in earlier post you made decision on paint color? What did you end up deciding?

Lou

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

My Cyclone was a drag car for decades. When I decided to make it a street car again 7 years ago I put in a ron francis wiring harness. It was pretty easy to install but there are two things I did not love. First it required me to use his headlight switch which looks ok but does not match the other items on the dash. The second is wiring the column and ignition switch was tricky to wire since it had GM column plug in end.
Larry

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

My current dilemma is that I have found the hydraulic clutch conversion I like, a modern driveline #MD-910-0022. Looks like it will work with my stock clutch pedal with no (few) mods. The issue I am having is that I cannot find a slave cylinder kit to go with my stock clutch/T-10 setup. All the kits they show are for the T-5 conversion which I don't want to do. Can anyone recommend a slave cylinder kit that will work with the stocker setup?
At this point the cable/T-5 conversion is out for me. My car is too far down the line to make that change.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I know t-10 parts are hard to come by and they are not super strong. Anyway, if you are going to keep the t-10 what is the diameter of the bearing retainer on your t-10. I have a few t-5's lying around, I could go out a measure the bearing retainer to see if the Mcleod hydraulic throw out bearing will slide on your t-10.
Larry